MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The MyBB Humanization Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Awesome, thank you!
I use Matt Rogowski's go to full reply plugin on 1.6. It adds the go to full button in the quick edit and the quick reply and preserves any posting entered so far and allows an empty message.
(2014-11-29, 01:20 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 11:55 AM)Radiergummi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 11:44 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 09:44 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Well, from what I can see 1.8 is the same as 1.6 (I am talking about what you see, not what you don't see Big Grin ).
Let's hope 2.0 will be better and will improve the (new) user experience.

I don't know how 2.0 will be 'better' with an improved new experience.

Apart from AJAX notifications (new reply to a thread, new PM, etc)threaded PM conversations, profile comments, I don't know what else MyBB is missing.

MyBB still needs to remain as forum software. What Brad-T did is great for niche forums that don't need the old forum feel to it, but on the other hand there are thousands of forums out there that need the older 'look and feel' to them.

If you don't like the way MyBB looks, design a theme yourself like Brad-T did Smile It's fun and very rewarding.

Well I think a forum software which is actively developed does not need to look like 1999, especially codewise: Currently, MyBB is mostly made of tables. What we need is a complete revamp of all templates to use HTML5, CSS3 and SVG icons. That's what I am currently wasting my time with, but it is indeed rewarding - my Google ranking rose in unknown heights, the whole thing is responsive, I need only a few lines of CSS for each page due to reuseable components, users are way happier... 
That my point of view. I also think MyBB needs to remain a forum, but with modern, modular and responsive code design. From there on, anyone can produce a theme suiting their needs.

Next up on my wishlist would be a default use of URL rewriting to provide a RESTful API, but I think you'd need better paid professionals for that, and as the team seemingly is not interested in people applying, they don't even reply to questions on how to participate  Rolleyes

We're always happy to have people applying and contributing. Have you tried opening some pull requests on GitHub or anything? I haven't noticed your username on GitHub at all (unless you have a different username there of course).

MyBB 2.0 will be using much more semantic HTML, along with modern CSS and JavaScript practices.

I have to apologize, I was in a bit of a grumpy mood then. I'd love to contribute on Github but am a little confused about the development process... Is there some sort of discussion going on somewhere about the direction where MyBB is going and where it is not, apart from GitHub issues? 
It's going on in these forums, specifically here: http://community.mybb.com/forum-166.html

AT the minute, 1.8 has the majority of focus as we fix bug reports that are outstanding on GitHub and on the forums, but we are putting together our plans for 2.0 and deciding exactly which features we plan to include. We're also planning to make our current thoughts on these points public once we have a few solid ideas and decisions.
I'm utilizing a few of these ideas in a forum revamp I'm presently working on but had one tiny question.

I agree with the removal of forum icons (hot topic, etc). However, I'd like to keep the 'locked' icon for locked threads. What's the best means to remove all of these as cleanly as possible while still keeping that icon around. I'd rather not have an entire vacant column around only for one icon's usage. Does this require php file modification?
The thread status is a css now; if you make it a span class you can move it next to the thread title and use the icon there.
(2015-03-15, 04:43 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]The thread status is a css now; if you make it a span class you can move it next to the thread title and use the icon there.

Yup. This is what I do (though there are almost no locked threads on my site).
just reread this entire thread to help generate some ideas for a new site I'm working on.

kudos on the hard work, Brad!
Simplified the registration page. (got rid of the registration agreement, and eliminated everything else except username, password, e-mail, and a security question)
http://dankshit.ga/community/member.php?action=register
That was just simplifying it. Now I'm going to style it with CSS, make it look all cool and stuff, etc. Big Grin
(2015-07-02, 02:10 AM)Cookie123 Wrote: [ -> ]Simplified the registration page. (got rid of the registration agreement, and eliminated everything else except username, password, e-mail, and a security question)
http://dankshit.ga/community/member.php?action=register
That was just simplifying it. Now I'm going to style it with CSS, make it look all cool and stuff, etc. Big Grin

Looks weird in that big space with such little content - a popup would be really cool though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32