MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The MyBB Humanization Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Fabio nailed it. Although, it's not really an appropriate example at all, since when you create a forum you are offering a product. Serious admins are a small elite, but they're also the only ones whom this type of design insight would really benefit anyway (aside from designers).

Quote:And to be honest, Brad-t, you are no exception to this as you often hop on and off between both sides of the fence programmers create.

Don't even understand what this means. I can't program, so I hire programmers (or otherwise solicit their assistance). I'm not releasing this because it's simply not releasable, not because I want to keep it to myself or something. If that was the case, I wouldn't have posted this here at all.
Quote:Don't even understand what this means. I can't program, so I hire programmers (or otherwise solicit their assistance). I'm not releasing this because it's simply not releasable, not because I want to keep it to myself or something. If that was the case, I wouldn't have posted this here at all.

+1
Brad, I'm late to this thread, but I just wanted to say you did an amazing job. Your design is a good example of someone who thinks outside the box.
Thank you Smile

I'm totally spoiled by my own site now ... hit post reply and forgot I have to click on the text box before I start writing.
I looked more closely today. Even more impressed. I didn't miss the folder icons, and actually didn't even notice they were gone until I read your note. But I like it without these.
Brad your first mistake was in post #1. You incorrectly assumed people would actually appreciate your very hard work in customizing MyBB. Personally I'd have kept all those unique changes private as people not only aren't appreciative but you run a legit risk of it being copied and losing the uniqueness that your forum has.

I'm coming to learn that when you lose that unique feeling your site has because what you've done is cloned then you've diluted that uniqueness to the point where it's no longer distinguished as the original and eventually you may not even appear unique.

I personally think you've made a mistake sharing with ingrates.
I don't. Very few people will follow through on what I've shared here. Those that do aren't in the same space as me. While we live in a MyBB bubble, the chances of one of my users ever seeing a site using the ideas I've shared here are worse than winning the lottery -- especially since my forum is in such an extreme niche and I have no hopes of recruiting members here. This is just a small way to give back to a community that I have taken a lot from.

(2012-07-25, 03:19 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]God dammit. Toungue Okay, I got it this time - I tried it myself. Undo everything.

Open newreply.php in a text editor.

Find:

// Coming from quick reply? Set some defaults
if($mybb->input['method'] == "quickreply")
{
	if($mybb->user['subscriptionmethod'] == 1)
	{
		$mybb->input['postoptions']['subscriptionmethod'] = "none";
	}
	else if($mybb->user['subscriptionmethod'] == 2)
	{
		$mybb->input['postoptions']['subscriptionmethod'] = "instant";
	}
}

Replace with:

// Coming from quick reply? Set some defaults
if($mybb->input['method'] == "quickreply")
{
	if($mybb->user['subscriptionmethod'] == 1)
	{
		$mybb->input['postoptions']['subscriptionmethod'] = "none";
	}
	else if($mybb->user['subscriptionmethod'] == 2)
	{
		$mybb->input['postoptions']['subscriptionmethod'] = "instant";
	}

if(my_strlen($mybb->input['message']) == 0)
	{
		header("Location: ".$mybb->settings['bburl']."/newreply.php?tid=".$mybb->input['tid']);
		return false;
	}
}

Works exactly the same. But now it only does that if we're coming from the quick reply form. And then if you try to post an empty message it throws the error.

I meant to give an update on this, sorry. Functions almost 100% OK, but if you try to submit a blank post on the quickreply form, you get a hanging ajax loader.
But the real question is..
How long did it take you to code that? xD
On and off for about eight months.
where can i download it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32