MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The MyBB Humanization Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
im currently working on my gaming community, since brad showed me his project he gaved me inspiration to edit the core files of mybb, it is the software of mybb but it wont be the same anymore. i will post soon a few updates what i did to my website , it is a big project but fun to do, wish everyone good luck with creating your own website ^^
Well, from what I can see 1.8 is the same as 1.6 (I am talking about what you see, not what you don't see Big Grin ).
Let's hope 2.0 will be better and will improve the (new) user experience.
(2014-11-29, 09:44 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Well, from what I can see 1.8 is the same as 1.6 (I am talking about what you see, not what you don't see Big Grin ).

I don't know how 2.0 will be 'better' with an improved new experience.

Apart from AJAX notifications (new reply to a thread, new PM, etc)threaded PM conversations, profile comments, I don't know what else MyBB is missing.

MyBB still needs to remain as forum software. What Brad-T did is great for niche forums that don't need the old forum feel to it, but on the other hand there are thousands of forums out there that need the older 'look and feel' to them.

If you don't like the way MyBB looks, design a theme yourself like Brad-T did Smile It's fun and very rewarding.
(2014-11-29, 11:44 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 09:44 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Well, from what I can see 1.8 is the same as 1.6 (I am talking about what you see, not what you don't see Big Grin ).

Apart from AJAX notifications (new reply to a thread, new PM, etc)threaded PM conversations, profile comments, I don't know what else MyBB is missing.

MyBB still needs to remain as forum software. What Brad-T did is great for niche forums that don't need the old forum feel to it, but on the other hand there are thousands of forums out there that need the older 'look and feel' to them.

If you don't like the way MyBB looks, design a theme yourself like Brad-T did Smile It's fun and very rewarding.

Well I think a forum software which is actively developed does not need to look like 1999, especially codewise: Currently, MyBB is mostly made of tables. What we need is a complete revamp of all templates to use HTML5, CSS3 and SVG icons. That's what I am currently wasting my time with, but it is indeed rewarding - my Google ranking rose in unknown heights, the whole thing is responsive, I need only a few lines of CSS for each page due to reuseable components, users are way happier... 
That my point of view. I also think MyBB needs to remain a forum, but with modern, modular and responsive code design. From there on, anyone can produce a theme suiting their needs.

Next up on my wishlist would be a default use of URL rewriting to provide a RESTful API, but I think you'd need better paid professionals for that, and as the team seemingly is not interested in people applying, they don't even reply to questions on how to participate  Rolleyes

In my view. MyBB has too much and it is clucky from a user's point of view.
Yes, it has to remain a forum, but has to give the possibilty to make it simpler. I mean, how many of the gazillion foatures that it offers people actually use? For one I don't use anything else apart from:

• new discussion
  • MP
That's it...

Also, if you customize heavily it is difficult to update. I have been with MyBB since 2009 and to date I don't know what I am supposed to do to update a template. Every time it is a ginormous task which I invariably don't complete (or should I say, start) because I am not sure of what I am supposed to do and there are sooooo many templates, in theory, to update. That is one of the reasons why I am not so keen at changing things.

OK, that will be me who is not so clever at these things, but MyBB does not make it easy for the average user (both admin and everyday users). Compare it, say, with Wordpress and how much easier it is to deal with that as a whole.

in the spirit of this thread I do think that in a forum (amongst other things) less is indeed more.
(2014-11-29, 11:55 AM)Radiergummi Wrote: [ -> ]

Well I think a forum software which is actively developed does not need to look like 1999, especially codewise: Currently, MyBB is mostly made of tables. What we need is a complete revamp of all templates to use HTML5, CSS3 and SVG icons. That's what I am currently wasting my time with, but it is indeed rewarding - my Google ranking rose in unknown heights, the whole thing is responsive, I need only a few lines of CSS for each page due to reuseable components, users are way happier... 
That my point of view. I also think MyBB needs to remain a forum, but with modern, modular and responsive code design. From there on, anyone can produce a theme suiting their needs.

Next up on my wishlist would be a default use of URL rewriting to provide a RESTful API, but I think you'd need better paid professionals for that, and as the team seemingly is not interested in people applying, they don't even reply to questions on how to participate  Rolleyes

We're always happy to have people applying and contributing. Have you tried opening some pull requests on GitHub or anything? I haven't noticed your username on GitHub at all (unless you have a different username there of course).

MyBB 2.0 will be using much more semantic HTML, along with modern CSS and JavaScript practices.
(2014-11-29, 01:20 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We're always happy to have people applying and contributing. Have you tried opening some pull requests on GitHub or anything? I haven't noticed your username on GitHub at all (unless you have a different username there of course).

MyBB 2.0 will be using much more semantic HTML, along with modern CSS and JavaScript practices.

Not sure I follow all this, but you have to acknowledge that MyBB does have a 1990 look. As I said I have been here since 2009 and the interface it has NEVER changed an iota (while I am sure that behind the scenes a lot has been going on)
I have always seen MyBB as more of a framework than an out of the box package. It's not ideal for those who aren't interested in making use of its customizability, but the functionality is there for those who want it. That's the main area that MyBB is pretty competitive in right now. That said, I agree, the default theme is not really on par at all. Toungue
(2014-11-29, 03:06 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 01:20 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We're always happy to have people applying and contributing. Have you tried opening some pull requests on GitHub or anything? I haven't noticed your username on GitHub at all (unless you have a different username there of course).

Not sure I follow all this, but you have to acknowledge that MyBB does have a 1990 look. As I said I have been here since 2009 and the interface it has NEVER changed an iota (while I am sure that behind the scenes a lot has been going on)

We have acknowledged the fact that the current templates and design are outdated. It's common knowledge. We took the path of least resistance for 1.8, with 2.0 being the release where we can reinvent the wheel.
(2014-11-29, 01:20 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 11:55 AM)Radiergummi Wrote: [ -> ]

We're always happy to have people applying and contributing. Have you tried opening some pull requests on GitHub or anything? I haven't noticed your username on GitHub at all (unless you have a different username there of course).

...and hopefully an entirely new theme, built from scratch...not something that was repurposed from 1.6 and slightly modified.  Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32