MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Security Question v1.2 (Updated: 07/27/2011)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Waitinggggg
A bot could just refresh the page more than once until answer it knows appears.
(2011-07-07, 02:56 AM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]A bot could just refresh the page more than once until answer it knows appears.

If you had taken the time to read, this has been argued and discussed in the better part of the first half of the thread.
(2011-07-07, 07:08 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-07, 02:56 AM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]A bot could just refresh the page more than once until answer it knows appears.

If you had taken the time to read, this has been argued and discussed in the better part of the first half of the thread.

Blush No need to attack me.

Sure, and this is why thoughtful questions and answers are needed. So far, I think that this plugin would be our best defense against spam registrations, and many of us are waiting for it to be ready for 1.6.3.
(2011-07-08, 03:13 PM)Jayfore Wrote: [ -> ]

Sure, and this is why thoughtful questions and answers are needed. So far, I think that this plugin would be our best defense against spam registrations, and many of us are waiting for it to be ready for 1.6.3.

Still would not help anything.

If someone wants a bot for your site they will find the answers to 1-2 questions and have the bot scan the page and refresh until that question comes up.
(2011-07-08, 02:31 PM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]

So telling you to read the discussion that has already taken place is now considered an attack?
Seriously?

(2011-07-10, 03:12 AM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]

If someone wants a bot for your site they will find the answers to 1-2 questions and have the bot scan the page and refresh until that question comes up.

Again, this has already been brought up before and as I explained then, this plugin will protect you from those "drive-by" bots that are not specifically targeting your site. If you have a spammer targeting your site specifically then short of manually approving new user's posts there is no way you can prevent being spammed. Even if this plugin was changed to be made to overcome the shortfall you describe, then all the spammer would do is manually register the account and then set the bot to spam, not worth the effort in coding that IMO when the outcome is going to be the same.
(2011-07-11, 11:13 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]

So telling you to read the discussion that has already taken place is now considered an attack?
Seriously?

Again, this has already been brought up before and as I explained then, this plugin will protect you from those "drive-by" bots that are not specifically targeting your site. If you have a spammer targeting your site specifically then short of manually approving new user's posts there is no way you can prevent being spammed. Even if this plugin was changed to be made to overcome the shortfall you describe, then all the spammer would do is manually register the account and then set the bot to spam, not worth the effort in coding that IMO when the outcome is going to be the same.

G33K, any idea when the plugin will be updated for 1.6.3? Thanks!
(2011-07-12, 12:15 AM)Jayfore Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-11, 11:13 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]

Seriously?

G33K, any idea when the plugin will be updated for 1.6.3? Thanks!

I feel horrible for the delay in releasing the update to this plugin but I have alot going on right now and very limited time to take care of any of my personal projects. To add to it my local server's main drive crashed and thats where I had hosted all my personal projects using svn. Luckily, I have everything backed up but I just haven't had the time to bring the server back up and restore everything on it.
I am hoping to restore the server this weekend, even if I don't do that, I will try and at least get this plugin updated to work properly with 1.6.3 by then.
(2011-07-12, 06:54 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]...I feel horrible for the delay in releasing the update to this plugin but I have a lot going on right now and very limited time to take care of any of my personal projects...

Dear G33K!
Please do not do so. Do not feel horrible.
On the contrary. Feel fine and happy! Even if some horrible things happens to you.
Be quite sure we, people here, greatly appreciate what you are doing for us. For our benefit. Really great things!
Thank you that you are.
And that's what matters most.

So do not push yourself, do not hurry and feel fine. Do believe, as we do, that everything come right at an end. We can really wait.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23