MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Security Question v1.2 (Updated: 07/27/2011)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2011-07-27, 07:37 PM)spinning Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you G33K, I changed the settings and now I hope it works.
Can I also see the stats of correct or fault answers with the changings I make??
(2011-07-27, 06:14 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: To all: I have been toying with an idea to ban a user for xx minutes if they either refresh or change the question yy times. A regular user should be able to answer the question in a few tries, a bot would need to keep refreshing the page in order to get the right question/answer. Do you guys think this would be something that would be desirable?

Excellent Idea with a timelimit for answering or banning when they add the wrong answer, people can find the answer with google.
I hope you will still make it working for 1.4.

I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread or in another release thread that I will now be coding the plugins with 1.6 in mind. As it is 1.4 has already reached its end of life and it is recommended that you upgrade to 1.6. Trying to keep up with both the versions (which includes testing in both versions and making code changes to cater for the different versions) will take more time than I currently have.

(2011-07-28, 03:42 PM)nadlerz Wrote: [ -> ]Requesting an additional feature that can be enable the questions in posting threads also?
Thanks !

Hmmm we'll see...

(2011-07-28, 07:18 PM)EviLito Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this plugin.

(2011-07-27, 06:14 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: To all: I have been toying with an idea to ban a user for xx minutes if they either refresh or change the question yy times. A regular user should be able to answer the question in a few tries, a bot would need to keep refreshing the page in order to get the right question/answer. Do you guys think this would be something that would be desirable?

I vote YES for that and here are some ideas:

Ban user from registering (IP address based I guess?) for xx minutes if:
they refresh reg. page/change question(i.e. ask for a question) yy times, OR:
they answer incorrectly zz times

if xx = 0 the setting is considered to be OFF
the "refresh/change question" and "incorrect attempts" counter should be reseted on successful registration, to allow multiple users registering on the same machine (e.g. public computers).

Also, it would be nice to have an option to reset the question stats, perhaps where the "Edit" and "Delete" links are located in the settings. Thanks.

Yes, the banning would have to be ip based as the only other method I know would be cookie based which is too easy to overcome.

I was actually thinking about the reset stats option since it would be useful to track a question after making changes to it but then decided against it. Now, the more I think about it I feel it should be added, so I'll probably add it in the next release.
(2011-07-28, 03:42 PM)nadlerz Wrote: [ -> ]Requesting an additional feature that can be enable the questions in posting threads also?
Thanks !

This would be a great feature to be able to "click" the mouse and have it done. However, I know that it can already be done manually (or with the plugin Patches) - we just don't know what code to copy where.

To help describe what I mean by "what code to copy where", I have included some information below about a manual way to do this. This example is supplied by the plugin "Simple Captcha v1.6" (by the Polish dude "Lukasz "LukasAMD" Tkacz"). I have attached the plugins' full instruction text file below.

Simple Captcha offers these options:
Quote:Simple Captcha on register
Specifies whether the Simple Captcha is to be used during registration.

Simple Captcha on login
Specifies whether the Simple Captcha is to be used during login when the user exceeds the limit of bad logins.
This option requires changes in files

Simple Captcha on posting
Specifies whether the Simple Captcha is to be used when writing posts by guests.

Simple Captcha on new threads
Specifies whether the Simple Captcha is to be used when writing threads by guest.

Except for the default install setup for new user registration, you have to edit a file for each place you wish the captcha to appear:
- member.php
- newreply.php
- newthread.php
- showthread.php

Here is the code for the first file:
FILE:   member.php

FIND (line ~1039):
-------------------------------------------------------
$do_captcha = true;

ADD BEFORE:
  	// START - Simple Captcha MOD
  	elseif (isset($mybb->settings['simpleCaptchaLogin']) && $mybb->settings['simpleCaptchaLogin'] == 1)
  	{
      simpleCaptcha::injectMemberValidate();
        }
       // END - Simple Captcha MOD

FIND (line ~1144):
	$username = "";
	$password = "";

ADD BEFORE:
	// START - Simple Captcha MOD
	elseif (isset($mybb->settings['simpleCaptchaLogin']) && $mybb->settings['simpleCaptchaLogin'] == 1)
	{
    simpleCaptcha::injectMemberGenerate();
        }
       // END - Simple Captcha MOD

Being armed with information such as this makes customizing your site fairly straight forward. I have a single area in my forums that unregistered users are allowed to post. It sure would be great to be able to have this plugin appear along with Simple Captcha.
hi dear...
we have problem this with Like system :/
Thanks G33K !! You help Me a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the update, already looking at tons of wrong answers which I presume are from bots Smile
Suggestion: Users can start posting their own question lists so we can maintain one and ship the plugin with a combined list of questions from the community instead of the few default
(2011-07-30, 09:54 AM)dido Wrote: [ -> ]hi dear...
we have problem this with Like system :/

Yes there is a fix coming for that. I'm in the processing of updating the thank you like system and with that release, this problem will be fixed.

(2011-07-31, 06:36 AM)bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the update, already looking at tons of wrong answers which I presume are from bots Smile
Suggestion: Users can start posting their own question lists so we can maintain one and ship the plugin with a combined list of questions from the community instead of the few default

You're welcome.

The problem with your suggestion, however, is that having a list of questions maintained by the community might not be suitable to all. A question that might be considered easy on one board might be impossible for another board. For example, on a programming board I can have a question "What does HTML stand for?" and it would be easy for them but but not that easy for other forums that do not deal with programming. See what I mean?
It is better for the board admins to come up with question/answers that will be specific to their board and remove the default ones given (which should just be used as a demo)

I want to take a chance and thank the coder. For those who are complaining of the plugin, here is what I have done. Just took my time and wrote 89 basic mat tasks e.g. 2+2x2=?.

There is only one thing I want to report, when I press 'Change the question' button it's doesn't work. Any solution please?

(2011-08-01, 09:28 AM)zascok Wrote: [ -> ]I want to take a chance and thank the coder. For those who are complaining of the plugin, here is what I have done. Just took my time and wrote 89 basic mat tasks e.g. 2+2x2=?.

There is only one thing I want to report, when I press 'Change the question' button it's doesn't work. Any solution please?
Have you updated to v1.2 as the problem has been fixed in this version.

Quote:The problem with your suggestion, however, is that having a list of questions maintained by the community might not be suitable to all. A question that might be considered easy on one board might be impossible for another board. For example, on a programming board I can have a question "What does HTML stand for?" and it would be easy for them but but not that easy for other forums that do not deal with programming. See what I mean?
It is better for the board admins to come up with question/answers that will be specific to their board and remove the default ones given (which should just be used as a demo)

Hmm that's true, but still it would be cool to have an at least optional list from which you can choose what you want to use. Once more, great plugin, the most effective at stopping spammers atm for mybb in my opinion Smile
(2011-08-01, 11:10 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Have you updated to v1.2 as the problem has been fixed in this version.

yup, it's 1.2

'Loading please wait' and wait and wait .... Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23