MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyAlerts - a notification/alert system for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
This plugin has now been released. View the release thread here or here

I've finally started working on my notification plugin and thought it would be nice to see what features people want from it. Here are the details of what's been built so far:
  • MyAlerts uses PluginLibrary by frostschutz
  • MyAlerts will use jQuery to handle any of the JS
  • Alerts are currently added for:
    • Being quoted in a post
    • New replies to your threads
    • Being added to a user's buddy list
  • MyAlerts will allow other developers to hook into it in order to add new alerts for other custom actions

I'm hoping to have the plugin ready within about 2 weeks time though it may take longer. I will also likely be looking for a few testers to make sure everything works as it should.

GitHub repo: https://github.com/euantor/MyAlerts - NOT FOR PRODUCTION SITES. This is still a very early build and as you can see from the commit history is being updated nearly every day right now.

Demo site: http://mybb.euantor.com/index.php
It would be good as well if we receive the notification of new posts from those threads where we've replied/posted.
I will be looking into doing that, though I can't currently think of a way of doing it without adding a massive amount of queries.
  • admin cp option to define refresh interval (not user based to avoid resource issues)
  • admin option for max notifications, regardless of type
  • admin option for new users being activated (not just on reg, but activated)
  • user cp option to disable notifications and not show panel
  • user cp option for notifying any new post or just new posts in your threads

I'd like it be where the admin can control what notifications are available and then the user can select from those what they want to see.

I have actually been thinking about building something similar but you have beat me to it. My method would probably be less resource intensive, but it would obviously lack some user specific notices.
I'd be happy to help test! Can't wait for this. Would it be possible to have PM alerts separately from other alerts?
I wasn't originally intending to have an auto refresh feature apart from on the main notification listing page, though I could add it with an option to disable it.

I like all the other ideas though. I'll add what I can.
(2012-05-22, 10:19 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be happy to help test! Can't wait for this. Would it be possible to have PM alerts separately from other alerts?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean if I'm being honest.
(2012-05-22, 10:20 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't originally intending to have an auto refresh feature apart from on the main notification listing page, though I could add it with an option to disable it.

I like all the other ideas though. I'll add what I can.

ahh, i was assuming it was a FB type notification that auto refreshed via xhttp requests
It would be easy enough to add that type of functionality but I'm worried about the effect it may have on server load for large forums.
Oh I cannot wait for this!! =D Thank you for this wonderful contribution.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41