MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VBulletin 4.0 is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
There already would be.
(2009-10-27, 03:49 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]When our licenses were purchased we could renew them for life for a small fee.

No. You bought licences for vBulletin 3. Unless it specifically says in the agreement you accepted when you bought your licence that you are able to access feature upgrades (in this case, vBulletin 4), then there can be no lawsuit. In addition, if there is no mention about feature upgrades in the licence, then they can whatever they want.
Sure there can and will be lawsuits, many of them, Internet Brands must keep their end of the contract up, this is why many "vB license owners" will not voluntarily give up their rights under the old contract by upgrading, this is what Internet Brands wants us to do.

When security breaches do occur, these will be additional damages claimed in future lawsuits against Internet Brands.

Even Microsoft understands this, that is why they update old software for free and provide patches.
(2009-10-27, 04:15 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]When security breaches do occur, these will be additional damages claimed in future lawsuits against Internet Brands.

You'll actually find that vBulletin comes with absolutely no warranty whatsoever, so there can't be any additional damages that occur from security breaches.

Read the licence you agreed to when you bought vBulletin. It's plainly obvious you don't have any idea what you've signed up for.
I guess you have no idea of what contractual law is and how it actually works in the real world.

vB license holders pay for security updates according to the contract, Internet Brands took away the ability to pay for updates, effectively committing contract fraud and breaking legal covenants.

You better read the vB license agreements.

vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?322303-vb-3-x-Security-Updates-Going-forward

The morons running vB don't even know how security patches are going to be handled, right there is the basis for a class action lawsuit.
Funny how I work with contractual law every day, and even more so in "real world" circumstances than with online software.

(2009-10-27, 04:25 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]vB license holders pay for security updates according to the contract

There you have it. Security updates are not the same as feature upgrades. vBulletin 4 is a new piece of software, and so you're not required to upgrade to it and it is not covered in your licence agreement.

Following Microsoft's example - I've bought Vista, but that doesn't entitle me to upgrade to 7 without buying it first. I can all the upgrades I want for Vista until they discontinue it. Same applies. You're entitled to all the vBulletin 3 updates, but you need to "buy" vBulletin 4.
No, we don't have to give up our old licenses to get security updates, you are falling for a line of crap.

http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showpos...stcount=34

This is what Internet Brands wants customers to do, I find it ironic that a MyBB developer is defending criminal tactics and fraud of a competitive product also.
I don't see what that post says about you not getting security updates at all. v4 isn't a security update!
That is true I agree with all here, vB 4 is a new piece of software just like IPB and there is nothing fraud full here. Its your problem for never reading the fine print in agreements that you agree to.

so for the time being urusai, urusai, urusai.......... bakayarō
(2009-10-27, 04:50 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]No, we don't have to give up our old licenses to get security updates, you are falling for a line of crap.

How am I falling for a line of crap? You're still getting security updates for your version of vBulletin...

(2009-10-27, 04:50 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]This is what Internet Brands wants customers to do, I find it ironic that a MyBB developer is defending criminal tactics and fraud of a competitive product also.

Of course that's want they want to do, because they get more money out of it. Invision did exactly the same thing not too long ago, and no complaints were made (to my knowledge).

I'm not defending vBulletin, I'm defending common sense - something that, sadly, is vastly dwindling in this thread.

I have an idea - put in a lawsuit against vBulletin yourself if you're so confident, and let us know how you get on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17