MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VBulletin 4.0 is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2009-10-27, 06:38 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-27, 06:36 PM)babjusi Wrote: [ -> ]Mybb is the word, especially mybb 2.0 that from what I hear it will be a mind blower.

We will save many kittens. Shy

I will hurt you!

btw... mynonxeckko yet? *guess why i tyoed it like that.
'FullMetalBabe', talking to you is like talking to a wall, no matter how long you explain a matter to you, you still never "get it" !!!

There is no longer the option to renew old licenses, you must buy a new one to get version updates.
Thats funny i was reading this and i was listening to screaming at a wall. Ha

Now to be on topic. AVC i have to explain this to you. You are right. What they are doing should be illegal. But then what Microsoft does every single time they make a new OS by the same logic would be too. And trust me as much as i am for paid updates for windows *What drove me to linux*, its just as legal to make people upgrade.

Sorry.
(2009-10-27, 07:28 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]btw... mynonxeckko yet? *guess why i tyoed it like that.

Not yet, but it's coming - very soon. I'm working on getting just the profiles and some of the new MyBB features it comes with onto it to test them out; there's a massive difference between my i7-powered server and a crappy Hostgator shared server. I found that out yesterday. Sad
Case 1 - Your license runs out, and your contract goes boom. When you renew, and in this case you basically repurchase, you are bound to a new contract. No laws broken.

Case 2 - You have an active license, now you get your new software, and your under a new contract as well. Again, no laws broken.

You have nothing.
(2009-10-27, 07:28 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]'FullMetalBabe', talking to you is like talking to a wall, no matter how long you explain a matter to you, you still never "get it" !!!

Strange, I've read this thread and any response directed to you seems to be talking to a wall.

First, if you have an 'owned license', like you have claimed so many times that you do, then you do not have a problem since, and I quote, "Your owned license provides for your perpetual use of the software and does not expire: you may continue to use the software indefinitely".

If however, you have a 'leased license' (as I suspect you have), then yes, it will expire and you cannot renew it. Now to be fair it's not like vB are being unreasonable about this, they haven't said to you "Ok, everyone with a leased license must upgrade to vB 4 immediately or we will shut-down your forum", no, they have said you can use your license until it expires which should give you plenty of time to decide what to do, be it upgrade or migrate to another solution. This is perfectly fair and legal as you do not actually own a copy of vB, you simply lease one.

I am going to explain this using houses as an analogy, hopefully it might help.

Think of it this way, you can go to the estate agents and you can buy a house. You own this house and no-one can make you stop living in it (unless you don't pay your mortgage). This is like an 'owned license'.

Another way of living in a house is to rent a house. When you rent a house you agree to a contract with your landlord, if however your landlord decides that they are not going to offer you the lease again after your rental period ends and instead wants to put the house on the market for sale, then that is well within their rights and also perfectly legal. You either have to find another house to live in, or purchase your current house so you own it. This is like a 'leased license'.

Does that help?
1) No Scoutie44, you have no idea what you're talking about, if your contract "went boom" you would not be able to run the software forever.

2) When you know what you are talking about maybe you will make an intelligent post !!!

3) MrD, you are in the same boat as Scoutie, I have 3 owned licenses that I can run forever.
I love you MrD. all your posts entertain me for some reason Toungue.
(2009-10-27, 09:41 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]3) MrD, you are in the same boat as Scoutie, I have 3 owned licenses that I can run forever.

Excellent, then you have absolutely no problem since you are still going to be using and getting updates for vB 3.x which is exactly what you paid for.
(2009-10-27, 09:46 PM)MrD. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-27, 09:41 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]3) MrD, you are in the same boat as Scoutie, I have 3 owned licenses that I can run forever.

Excellent, then you have absolutely no problem since you are still going to be using and getting updates for vB 3.x which is exactly what you paid for.

You can't get "updates" without a "current vBulletin license", one can not get a current license without purchasing a NEW LICENSE FOR THE NEW VERSION !!

Internet Brands and vBulletin does not now allow licenses to be renewed and this is where they broke their covenant with "license owners" (BROKE THE LAW) and why lawsuits will be won by license owners.

Legal matters are decided in a court of law, not on a web forum, the sooner you all realize this fact, the better off you will all be.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17