MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VBulletin 4.0 is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Well, almost all of Vb customers are not so happy with the new price structure and the licence which in my opinion seem a bit shady to say the least. Ipb will profit a lot from this.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320658

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320446

These are only 2 threads with full of unhappy customers. Not to mentioned all the others and those that Vb deleted.

I don''t know but it seems like Vb is in financial crisis. How do you call this?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320140
Personally I think it's a good deal. The software is robust and VB has finally just released a "Publishers" version. Forums can be as basic or as complex as the admin needs. VB is just the most complex with the most features. $200 for that isn't really expensive if you run a pro site. Costs of having to hire coders or deal with CMS integration issues are high. If I didn't sell HF I would have to seriously consider the switch if only because I feel I am hitting a ceiling with 1.4x branch. Already I am forced into core file edits to expand on what I believe are needed features. When I have to do that I have to consider how much time and effort I would save by simply buying a VB license. For every admin the choice is different. I will probably always prefer MyBB to start my forums but eventually a large community is going to want more than the basics.
I tend to agree with babjusi. It sure looks like they are trying to screw over their clients. I have an active license for vblog and they tell me I will have to buy a new one. Dodgy
What a complete rip of Invision Power Board.
=\ IPB was made two years after vB. The actual skin that IPB has was released AFTER vB announced their skin[I'm talking about the iSkin, not the one they had previously with blue and green]. At this, vB has way way more features than IPB, and the modifications for vB are innumerable same as the skins and there are GOOD free skins for vB, whereas for IPB there is just a few modifications and a few free decent skins.
(2009-10-15, 03:37 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]It says the full cost there... It's actually more expensive to go with IPB than to stay with vB...

Forum 4.0 actual cost IS $195, the special at the moment is for the people who have ACTIVE licenses. Now the Publishing suite actual price is striked[because they are offering a percent off], $288 which is $11 less than the Business suite for IPB[$299].

Not 100% true from what i have read around the net vb4 is a lot more memory hungry 2-3x. and if thats true people on small server or even on shared hosting may have to pay more money for a bigger server.
(2009-10-15, 07:09 AM)Beatrix Kiddo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-14, 08:48 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Imho once Fantastico or whatever, adds MyBB we will get boost. From first impressions, MyBB looks better then smf, and phpbb is weird.
They already have MyBB, just not the 1.4 series Toungue
As they said they weren't going to add it. Toungue
Plus there's no support for 1.2.x+ Toungue

Well thats the issue! Thats why we don't have as many newbs here as phpbb or smf. Its because there is no easy install. (Or in SMF case a webinstall)
(2009-10-16, 12:30 AM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-15, 03:37 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]It says the full cost there... It's actually more expensive to go with IPB than to stay with vB...

Forum 4.0 actual cost IS $195, the special at the moment is for the people who have ACTIVE licenses. Now the Publishing suite actual price is striked[because they are offering a percent off], $288 which is $11 less than the Business suite for IPB[$299].

Not 100% true from what i have read around the net vb4 is a lot more memory hungry 2-3x. and if thats true people on small server or even on shared hosting may have to pay more money for a bigger server.

How can you know such thing if the BETA is private? None of those results have been expressed to the public, so it's impossible for you to know about vB4 besides what has been said by the vB team.
(2009-10-15, 09:35 AM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]All i got to say is i am sure IPB will be happy as i know of a number of people moving over to them.
And so is MyBB. Big Grin
I just realized vB 4.0 will probably be out before the vB forum I run upgrades to 3.8. 3.6.4 is painful. Sad But I guess I can't complain since I don't pay the bills.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17