MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: AdminCP Permission Problems? PLEASE READ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
I have tried ever solution listed in the wiki, and none have worked so far. I cannot confirm if I have mod_security, because I cannot access anything within the Admin CP. I have contacted my host about the problm, but here's where it gets complicated:

I have a friend who is letting me run my MyBB forum off of his server for a month to let me see if I like it. I asked him about whitelisting my domain, but he said mod_security is installed at server level, which he does not have access to, so I am unable to solve this problem.

I am able to access the opening page of the admin panel, but get this error when trying to access any links or tabs from that page:

Quote:Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/admin/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

is there any other way to solve this terrible issue?

My forum is: www.welikezombies.com/forums

Please help,
Paladin
mod_security is the only thing that causes it, unless there's some other very weird setup with your host or a bad .htaccess file or something. If the Wiki steps didn't work then you'll need to find a way of turning it off.
(2009-10-28, 08:22 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]We hardly planned it to have this effect. We're not going to re-write the ACP mid way through the 1.4 series, we're well aware of the issue and it will be addressed when the time is right to make such a change.

Bad support. How many people come to the support forum PER DAY with this EXACT problem? Probably twice as many have this problem and don't come to the forum because it's too much of a pain and it takes too much time.

You are turning people AWAY from this software and this problem has been going on for AT LEAST a year because that's when I stopped using it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What a freaking joke! Just stop the 1.4 series... re-write the admin panel and put out 1.5 after that is done. And before you start belittling me about how much work that is, I know plenty about PHP to know that it wouldn't take that much effort. Tedious and time consuming maybe but makes more sense than consistently turning people away from your software.
(2009-10-31, 04:56 PM)jaroo Wrote: [ -> ]words

I have to agree with this man, I mean a problem as serious as this would make you think that the coding staff would be working to fix this right away, but no. You complain about the work it will take to solve, and tell us to fix it ourselves.
What else do you expect me to say?? It's out of my hands, that is the only solution I can give. If you think it's so easy why don't you fix it, upload the files here, then everyone can use that. No ACP plugins will work, so every ACP plugin will have to be re-written too, maybe you could offer to re-write all of those for everybody too.

Can you explain, then, why it works on my shared host, and Tomm's server too?? I can't use Mint because of mod_security, but the ACP works fine.
(2009-11-01, 12:28 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]What else do you expect me to say?? It's out of my hands, that is the only solution I can give. If you think it's so easy why don't you fix it, upload the files here, then everyone can use that. No ACP plugins will work, so every ACP plugin will have to be re-written too, maybe you could offer to re-write all of those for everybody too.

Can you explain, then, why it works on my shared host, and Tomm's server too?? I can't use Mint because of mod_security, but the ACP works fine.

Do all the other forum software pakages have this problem?
(2009-10-31, 04:56 PM)jaroo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-28, 08:22 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]We hardly planned it to have this effect. We're not going to re-write the ACP mid way through the 1.4 series, we're well aware of the issue and it will be addressed when the time is right to make such a change.

Bad support. How many people come to the support forum PER DAY with this EXACT problem? Probably twice as many have this problem and don't come to the forum because it's too much of a pain and it takes too much time.

You are turning people AWAY from this software and this problem has been going on for AT LEAST a year because that's when I stopped using it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What a freaking joke! Just stop the 1.4 series... re-write the admin panel and put out 1.5 after that is done. And before you start belittling me about how much work that is, I know plenty about PHP to know that it wouldn't take that much effort. Tedious and time consuming maybe but makes more sense than consistently turning people away from your software.

What is your exact issue? Does the solution provided to you not work?

It is not your job to be concerned about how many users we attract to our software, so please don't worry about it. Smile

As for fixing the issue, it will be resolved in MyBB 1.6. We obviously did not intend to have this effect when we released MyBB 1.4. As developers, we run our development copies on a "localhost" usually installed by a software package called XAMPP or LAMP. These packages do not include the very tight and unique mod_security configurations that a few hosts run on their servers, and our developers had never run into this set of circumstances before. Therefore we were unaware that those specific set of circumstances would cause issues on some hosts. Once we identified the issue, we found a workaround and provided it the public to use.

We are not making large scale changes in MyBB 1.4 because a change that wide spread would require a decent amount of readjustment to some plugins and modifications, when users were not expecting it. Also having to update all 2,000 or so links in the ACP for such an isolated issue would cause a good amount of support inquiries.

If you think we're here in the business to turn people away from our software, than that is a complete fallacy.
Frankly, it's easier to get mod_security set up correctly, and if it's your server and you are supposed to set it up, then it's pretty much your own damn fault for setting it up wrong XD
Hold on fellas, YOU are assuming that most people who run forums are savvy enough to have thier own servers and able to set them up correctly, WRONG! Most are hosted accounts, little bit of knowledge, the rest is history,

Its all very well to get hot under the collar when someone has a go, but this is a real issue with this software.
I am not as clever as you guys but had used the software previously and liked it, so when it came to another try i found myself stumped, no real easy answer but to come back here and make myself look a grape!
Well i suspect that your download specs have dropped right off, since this started, and to be honest if i need a forum soon i would probably go with smf

Sort it or loose it!
(2009-11-02, 12:54 AM)obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Hold on fellas, YOU are assuming that most people who run forums are savvy enough to have thier own servers and able to set them up correctly, WRONG! Most are hosted accounts, little bit of knowledge, the rest is history,

Its all very well to get hot under the collar when someone has a go, but this is a real issue with this software.
I am not as clever as you guys but had used the software previously and liked it, so when it came to another try i found myself stumped, no real easy answer but to come back here and make myself look a grape!
Well i suspect that your download specs have dropped right off, since this started, and to be honest if i need a forum soon i would probably go with smf

Sort it or loose it!

Who are you responding too? Dom W isn't a staff member and doesn't represent our opinion, nor can he do anything about it. We never said it was your fault for any of this, and we never will. The only thing to blame is a lack of widely available server setups for testing on.

In addition, didn't I already state that this would be fixed for MyBB 1.6? In fact, the changes are already in the trunk code.

And actually, our average downloads has about doubled since MyBB 1.4 was released and it continues to grow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18