MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
MYBB is a great script, the best in the free scripts category, but let's not compare it to Xenforo, it really stands no chance. I have worked with all scripts and XF is currently blowing out of the water everything that moves and breathes in the forum world. VBulletin included Big Grin
Why should we not compare? Just because somebody decides they want to sell a product doesn't instantly make it better than a free alternative.

Just because you go to a 4* resteraunt doesn't mean your meal is going to be better than a cheap, home cooked one.
MyBB is better than XF when it comes to many small things, minor permissions and such. XF is better for bigger features.
I'm more comfortable with MyBB but I enjoy XF more. There are number of small must-haves that XF does not have, which annoys me very much.
(2012-05-05, 09:32 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]There are number of small must-haves that XF does not have, which annoys me very much.

And vice-versa.
Two big problems with XF:

1. If you reply to a message in the middle of a long thread, XF forces you to the the end of the thread to reply. After you are done, it's very hard to find where you left off reading.

2. When you click in a quote to be taken to the quoted message, you can't always use the back button to get back to the message you jumped from.

Both of these are navigation issues that are very annoying.
(2012-05-06, 12:13 AM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]Two big problems with XF:

1. If you reply to a message in the middle of a long thread, XF forces you to the the end of the thread to reply. After you are done, it's very hard to find where you left off reading.

Isn't this the case with every software? What's the alternative here? Open quotes and new reply pages in new tabs if you want to continue reading the thread.
(2012-05-05, 09:32 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is better than XF when it comes to many small things, minor permissions and such. XF is better for bigger features.
I'm more comfortable with MyBB but I enjoy XF more. There are number of small must-haves that XF does not have, which annoys me very much.
Solidus, did your traffic converted into activity after converting from MyBB to XF? Smile
the forum in question is still active and maybe more active now but, i don't visit that much no as I preferred it on mybb.
also what little time i get now i try to dedicate to my own forum.
(2012-05-06, 05:12 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Solidus, did your traffic converted into activity after converting from MyBB to XF? Smile

I don't think it did but that's not the question. The question was does traffic increase and at the moment (though it could be due to other factors) it has at gfxforums if I'm correct.
(2012-05-06, 04:01 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-06, 12:13 AM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]Two big problems with XF:

Isn't this the case with every software? What's the alternative here? Open quotes and new reply pages in new tabs if you want to continue reading the thread.

With MyBB I use the browser "back" feature. The last time I tried this with XF it didn't work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23