MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2012-05-02, 08:30 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-01, 08:21 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think 2.0 is coming out till like mid 2013.

5 years... I think.

2.0 needs to last five years. Tomm M had recently said "you're not going to be waiting till 2014" to see the release of 2.0, so I can only conclude that it will be released in 2013. MyBB releases tend to float around the middle of the year, as well -- though that's just speculation on my part.
My thought about 5 years based on answers from this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-118011.html

(2012-05-01, 05:13 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is? From the looks of their forum, they are still in the general design and feature planning phase.

Will it be stable and tested enough by the time you need to start coding MyBB 2.0 to make a reasonable release date?

(2012-05-01, 05:25 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]@pavemen: I'm expecting 1.8 to have a fairly long lifespan if I'm being honest - at least as long as the 1.6 one. 2.0 is still several years off so hopefully Yii 2.0 should be ready in plenty of time.

@labrocca: I too hate frameworks like that. Some even provide profiling tools that let you see all the files being loaded. I remember creating a simple application with one only to see 70 files were being loaded to display a single page. That is overkill on a major level.

(2012-05-01, 06:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is? From the looks of their forum, they are still in the general design and feature planning phase.

I hope it takes 5 years. Smile

If you look at Code Igniter it's nearly the same type of structure as MyBB already. Even the plugin system is similar. CI may not be using the latest MVC standards or every bell and whistle from php but I also wonder how much performance benefit there is from that. Heck it might even be a performance loss. No matter how optimized Yii will be it's still a huge framework.

Me scared of 2.0.

So how mybb 2.0 will be released when framework development even not started yet?
With a framework it's about 70% faster to write code than it would be to write the whole framework ourselves. The thing we need to do is decided on a framework. That's it. From there, we can start development.

5 years time? More like 2-3.
Also, you've got to take into account that 2.0 is planned, and the developers already know what needs to be there. I would hedge a bet that 2.0 is far better planned than the original mybb. Also, the developers working on it have experience writing forum software Smile
I think devs must set up time limits to deside which framework they will use.
(2012-05-03, 12:11 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]I think devs must set up time limits to deside which framework they will use.

There's no rush. We'll pick the right framework for MyBB, but it takes time. There's much to take in to consideration. Whether we pick one now or in 2 months time, it won't have any effect on when MyBB 2.0 will be released.
(2012-05-03, 09:53 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]5 years time? More like 2-3.
So long? XenForo with it's own framework was written in about a year from scratch. Also opened (not internal) developer discussions would be great. You may involve other developers. If devs see good architecture ideas they may join (I would join). But they can't join if they don't know what it is about.

P.S. sorry for so much critics from new member Smile
(2012-05-03, 12:46 PM)guiltar Wrote: [ -> ]So long? XenForo with it's own framework was written in about a year from scratch.

XF is a forum software which costs money. To maximize profit they have to bring the product to the table as soon as possible. Not to mention they had previous, what, 10+ years experience with vBulletin? It was also their first version. We have MyBB 1.6, and 1.8 to be released which is growing strong. We can take our time to plan and make it even better than 1.8. We're in no need to rush and push out a release as soon as we can.

(2012-05-03, 12:46 PM)guiltar Wrote: [ -> ]Also opened (not internal) developer discussions would be great. You may involve other developers. If devs see good architecture ideas they may join (I would join). But they can't join if they don't know what it is about.

Currently we're keeping information about 2.0 to the minimal. There's not much to see currently. There's no point in hiring developers who solely want to concentrate on 2.0. The 1.x series is just as important.
(2012-05-03, 12:46 PM)guiltar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-03, 09:53 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]5 years time? More like 2-3.
So long? XenForo with it's own framework was written in about a year from scratch. Also opened (not internal) developer discussions would be great. You may involve other developers. If devs see good architecture ideas they may join (I would join). But they can't join if they don't know what it is about.

P.S. sorry for so much critics from new member Smile

Xenforo developers work full time as they are paid for it. Whereas MyBB developers have to work in their free time. That make the difference.

And if you want to join the team, perhaps you should apply.
http://www.mybb.com/about/apply
(2012-05-03, 12:58 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Currently we're keeping information about 2.0 to the minimal. There's not much to see currently. There's no point in hiring developers who solely want to concentrate on 2.0. The 1.x series is just as important.
But 1.x and 2.x are completely different and separate since 2.0 will be coded in MVC pattern, the 1.x was not. I was watching situation: DragonByte was coding good addons for vBulletin but they just couldn't switch to XenForo because patterns and code style are too much different.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23