MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
What happened when you did it?
(2012-05-03, 05:57 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I think we should. The reason I am using MyBB is not because it's free. If I wanted to buy a license I can certainly afford to. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

Whats the reason you are using MyBB?
1. I'm familiar with it.
2. It's fast.
3. It's simple (or at least, it can be with some changes).
4. I can do pretty much whatever I want with it -- and if not me, personally, someone will do it for me for less money than they would on most other software communities.
(2012-05-09, 02:15 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-03, 05:57 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I think we should. The reason I am using MyBB is not because it's free. If I wanted to buy a license I can certainly afford to. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

Whats the reason you are using MyBB?

Similarly, why wouldn't you use MyBB?

I use it because:
- it's simple to use. I am currently moderating on a PHPBB forum and I am DESPERATE to get them converted to MyBB, because of the spam prevention tools with MyBB (plugins) and the FAR easier moderation system.
- It's fast. I haven't yet had any problems with my forum slowing to a crawl. Navigation is easy.
- It's extendable. I can write plugins to do pretty much anything I want. If I can't, there are plenty of developers out there who would be willing to help out.
- Support is great. I hate how you can't see code snippets on the vBulletin forum unless you are logged in with a valid license. It makes collaboration on a mod for vb so difficult. MyBB has the best support ever!
- It's free. Yes. That is a good reason. Why pay for something that is no better than a free alternative. I would not go into a shop and buy the "most expensive" watch just because it is most expensive. I would go for the one with the best features. And if there was a £200 and a free one, and the free one had little to no disadvantages, I know which I would choose.
Quote:- It's free. Yes. That is a good reason. Why pay for something that is no better than a free alternative. I would not go into a shop and buy the "most expensive" watch just because it is most expensive. I would go for the one with the best features. And if there was a £200 and a free one, and the free one had little to no disadvantages, I know which I would choose.

Well, I don't think this is fair. For one thing, the paid softwares -- IPB and XenForo in particular -- have particular advantages over MyBB that makes them worth paying for if you need them. If those advantages are inconsequential to you, then paying is probably not worth it.

Likewise, different people want different things from watches. Some people want digital watches with lots of features. Others want beautiful, elegant watches with complex movements. That is a priority for some people, and it's no less legitimate than your priorities.
I love MyBB, I love Xenforo. Xenforo is great for it's color properties system, and I love the ACP. MyBB also has a great ACP, and it's simple to code. Xenforo has lots of "new" features like alerts and profile comments, MyBB has Tomm. Xenforo has a largely adult userbase (less arguments ftw), MyBB is free. Idk, they're both good, just depends what you want.
Joining in...

Xenforo looks gorgeous. It is great to play about with as a forum user, lots of buttons and things to make you feel like you are engaged. The notifications and the conversations (both of which are also in IPB I think) are a great feature and yes I would like to see them in MyBB.

I always thought looks were not that important, but my board got a bit of a bad writeup when I showed it here, so I am revisiting the theme, trying to make it a bit more attractive. I already have 3 new members !!

However: good looks will only get you so far, and the best way to get a board to grow is to have good content and give a user a reason to post without pissing them off (like hiding the content until reply - you want me to say thanks before I see it? Ha.).

In short - there are features in XenForo that will make your board more wow at first sight - but the key to sustained activity is content and clarity. MyBB can help us to do that.

Also - MyBB has XThreads, which makes MyBB incredibly extensible - I don't see that add-on (or anything vaguely like it) for Xenforo.
I feel like we need an XThreads thread here on MyBB, haha
If there isn't one already, it must be because some hasn't gotten to it yet. If you google web design forums and click the first link (Was for me anyways), then check out their Website Ratings and Reviews section, they've got an awesome section that allows you post/rate sites, and even validates it's HTML / CSS. Not saying the owner isn't experienced with creating plugins (Or they might have hired someone), but it couldn't be too terribly hard to do.
(2012-05-09, 04:22 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Xenforo has lots of "new" features like alerts and profile comments, MyBB has Tomm.

Hah, biggest smile all day. Thanks for adding me to MyBB's feature list. Toungue

I started a new project earlier this year. I chose Invision. If you're going to use community software you might as well have everything at your fingertips.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23