MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2011-08-21, 02:25 PM)avi Wrote: [ -> ]Can you elaborate this ? I thought myBB can handle large database also. I mean just want to know when a forum outgrows the software.

The forum doesn't outgrow the software - the community outgrows the software. You may find that your audience prefers social networking than a plain forum, and so you'll fight between IP.Board and XenForo. Maybe it's heavily integrated into a website, in which case vBulletin is better or you want to branch out into an online store - where IP.Board with Nexus is the choice.

It's difficult when the members of your community (or maybe you looking to advance the project) are interested in something that MyBB can't provide (or you can't find a developer to write the plugin for).

(2011-08-21, 03:45 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]It can, but you'll have to make certain adjustments.

MyBB can handle massive databases. In extreme cases, yes you do need to make adjustments but nothing that you wouldn't have to be looking into anyway with other forum systems or in fact any other website. Such changes are InnoDB switches or Sphinx search - the Big Board Group here on MyBB can help you when you reach that kind of level.

A perfect example is World Beyblade Organization - I've just finished upgrading them from 1.4.15 to 1.6.4 with absolutely no problems (just a few theme issues here and there as you would expect). It runs default 1.6.4 files, no performance or pre-parsing plugins and runs no special MySQL setup at all - and it's easily in the largest top 10 MyBB forums around.
Pretty nice to see MYBB having a lot of features than Xenforo.
But the point is Mybb is free and xenforo is paid.You get what you paid for Smile.

Pros and cons of mybb :

Pros:

1. there is no need to explain you guys already knew,best,easy,simple forum,the best part being it to be free.

cons:

1.Mybb can be easily customised to your use,but the network aspects are the ones bugging around.
Mybb has no inbuilt network features,thus fetching less users and i really agree upon this fact.
The best example is my personal forum,where i barely get visitors a day.

Unlike this, my friend other forum which is xenforo,has lot of users,in a day that has some network features.This is our school forum.

2.Also mybb does not offer the integration into other sites,which is making things difficult.

Not pointing Mybb mistakes,but its fact that mybb is capable of these things too,but the developers are aiming it to be a pure forum software,and hence we are staying behind.

we need more new developers and designers so we can grow in par with paid guys.

I hope this would be considered a bit,and make the further developments.

@ TOMM M : we love to see your MY NETWORK go gold as soon as possible buddy Smile.
Thank you for wonderful plugin Smile

@Envira -

Your school forum probably has more visitors due to there being hundreds of kids that all go to your school, therefore there's a benefit by visiting the website. Not many people (I'm just guessing) may be interested in your website. Maybe you aren't marketing it well.

Forum software has little to do with how many active users you have. And, I'm fairly sure Mybb has plugins that can match whatever Xenforo has core.
(2011-08-22, 01:58 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]I'm fairly sure Mybb has plugins that can match whatever Xenforo has core.
Please name them Smile TIA
Care to list something in Xenforo that you don't think Mybb has? I've never used the software before.
MyBB > XenForo

[Image: Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729]
(2011-08-22, 02:03 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Care to list something in Xenforo that you don't think Mybb has? I've never used the software before.
Only thing I am missing in myBB is Notification Bar Sad

(2011-08-22, 02:11 PM)Glas Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB > XenForo

[Image: Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729]
YEAH Big Grin One thing we are forgetting is myBB is FREE !!
(2011-08-22, 02:22 PM)avi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-22, 02:03 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Care to list something in Xenforo that you don't think Mybb has? I've never used the software before.
Only thing I am missing in myBB is Notification Bar Sad
http://mods.mybb.com/view/board-messages
Does that work, or is it something different?

---

Now guys, let's think of it like this.

Xenforo has say, 3 things that Mybb doesn't that you want.
Mybb has plugins for 2 things, but no plugins for one of the things. The 2 plugins are on different sites, and they're premium. And, you contacted a developer who said it will cost $40 to get the 3rd plugin you want.
You'll be spending $50-$60 to stay on Mybb, or $140 to move to Xenforo, which (iirc) is still in Beta. :p
(2011-08-22, 02:25 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]http://mods.mybb.com/view/board-messages
Does that work, or is it something different?

---

Now guys, let's think of it like this.

Xenforo has say, 3 things that Mybb doesn't that you want.
Mybb has plugins for 2 things, but no plugins for one of the things. The 2 plugins are on different sites, and they're premium. And, you contacted a developer who said it will cost $40 to get the 3rd plugin you want.
You'll be spending $50-$60 to stay on Mybb, or $140 to move to Xenforo, which (iirc) is still in Beta. :p

Depends on the person.

But to most people, MyBB is free so it's viewed that everything should be free.

For the principle, they might rather go Xenforo or another paid software so they don't have to pay the MyBB Plugin makers.

Plus the fact that it might cost more down the road.

(2011-08-22, 02:25 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]or $140 to move to Xenforo, which (iirc) is still in Beta. :p

No xen has the stable version of 1.0 out
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23