MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2012-05-03, 03:11 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares? Paid software is going to influence free software.

How? besides costing $$$.

I can bicker all day long.
(2012-05-03, 03:23 PM)wmc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-03, 03:11 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares? Paid software is going to influence free software.

How? besides costing $$$.

I can bicker all day long.

Paid software teams have the resources to develop more and more features. The best of those features eventually trickle down to the free software.

Tomm: Thanks for the update.
I am the way I am, because I wasted money on 2 paid forum software (IPB and vB).

May be some will see the benefit of paid software. I however, do not.
I wouldn't use Xenforo over MyBB even if Xenforo was free. I've used their admin control panel and it's confusing. I've also been a member and find it's interface less intuitive. The advantage of Xenforo is if you want a an ultra clean look. And they have done this very well. But after I got past the initial wow factor, I found their interface harder to use.

Xenforo is getting a lot of attention because its developers quit vBulletin to start Xenforo. This gave them instant credibility and publicity. It also gets people who are mad at vBulletin rallying around them and cheering them on. This inflates their reputation.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad product. It's good software. I just think it's over-rated.
I've personally never really been impressed with Xenforo. While the theme do have a nice unique look to them. If everyone uses that style well that uniqueness dies out Toungue.

I would say the best forum options out of them all (IMO of course) would be MyBB, IPB, and Burning Board.
Their themes are horrid and are all identical, lol.

I just love their features, that's it. I'd use MyBB instead of Xenforo every day of the week.
Xenforo is great. but i just love ipb. no offence to mybb, it's an awesome free board. we should not compare it with the paid ones.
Why? MyBB is better than vBulletin and Xenforo (imo).
I think we should. The reason I am using MyBB is not because it's free. If I wanted to buy a license I can certainly afford to. I imagine many others are in the same boat.
I'm using MyBB because it have many plugins. It's simple and free. However it lacks social elements which very important these days... and it makes me wonder.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23