MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
No matter what, in my opinion, MyBB has the most active team.
I mean staff members are around on these community forums all the time, actually letting you know what they're doing if you ask.
Got any other place you get that ^^ ?
(2012-10-12, 12:03 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]No matter what, in my opinion, MyBB has the most active team.
I mean staff members are around on these community forums all the time, actually letting you know what they're doing if you ask.

Yeah, when we ask "When Mybb 1.8?" the staff answer "When it's ready".
I think that's not an answer. There must be some timeline.
Half a year has passed, and we do not know when is the next version.
(2012-11-25, 09:06 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, when we ask "When Mybb 1.8?" the staff answer "When it's ready".

MyBB's team doesn't really follow open source etiquette, they seem to prefer keeping things private. Under normal circumstances the latest commits to 1.8's branch would be publicly available.

On the technical support side, they seem to be fine though.
Yes unfortunately we don't even have an eta on the github repository. :/ But whenever we get that I guess it'll be helpful.
(2012-11-25, 09:06 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-12, 12:03 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]No matter what, in my opinion, MyBB has the most active team.

You will get the same response to that question in all the other forum softwares as well btw.
(2012-11-25, 09:06 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]

If they gave an estimated time for when it would be ready, and they do not make it people would start complaining as soon as the estimated date hits.
(2012-11-25, 04:00 PM)InfernoSoft Wrote: [ -> ]If they gave an estimated time for when it would be ready, and they do not make it people would start complaining as soon as the estimated date hits.

If they don't give us any date or don't set timeline even for themselves it's not good too.
(2012-11-25, 09:42 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-25, 09:06 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, when we ask "When Mybb 1.8?" the staff answer "When it's ready".

MyBB's team doesn't really follow open source etiquette, they seem to prefer keeping things private. Under normal circumstances the latest commits to 1.8's branch would be publicly available.

On the technical support side, they seem to be fine though.

This is true, though we are changing on that front. The github repos will be public pretty soon for both the 1.6 and 1.8 branches and will be accepting pull requests.
(2012-11-25, 04:20 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-25, 04:00 PM)InfernoSoft Wrote: [ -> ]If they gave an estimated time for when it would be ready, and they do not make it people would start complaining as soon as the estimated date hits.

If they don't give us any date or don't set timeline even for themselves it's not good too.

List of major softwrare devwlopers that use When It's Ready: Valve, Simple Machines, vBulletin...
(2012-11-25, 04:20 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]

When it's ready is becoming more and more of the standard actually. While yes some timeline would be nice you have to remember the MyBB staff aren't paid. They don't always have time to dedicate to MyBB development which makes it impossible to set a timeline that would be reasonably close.

Software companies are learning that releasing unfinished products or being late is more detrimental than just having people wait. Hell look at almost every major MMORPG that's been released people are always pissed about the amount of bugs or lack of a promised feature on the day of release.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23