MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
I personally will go with MyBB due to the support being friendly, the default theme is simple and not to complex, and a big thing is that the whole AdminCP isn't horribly made (in my opinion XenForo's is horrible). I also love how simple it is to edit things from language packs, to themes, plugins, etc. to fit your own needs instead of having someone whom you must pay to do these things for you.
I personally feel XenForo should have made a bit more effort in regards to keeping people updated. I mean even if things weren't going well. I don't know, it's just very frustrating.
Well yeah, the key difference between XF and MyBB is that even if we don't know exactly when 1.8 is coming, we have a reasonable understanding of where it's at and what it hopes to accomplish, and a rough timeframe of when it could reasonably be expected.

XF seems to be floating dead in the ocean.
XenForo became a large part of my business. And essentially, when updates were not given, I literally lost a majority of my income because people did not want to invest in XenForo, after I've done all the work to get established as a business in the market. I thought at least they could've used some nice adjectives or something in announcements to keep morale up. I mean, even if things are going down the tubes, some posts from Kier or Mike or Ashley like "We are fighting this to the end! Hoorah" or something would've kept the community going and perhaps stabilized until something useful could be announced.

Losing Brogan was not good.
Haha, reminds me of how Twitter client developers must be feeling right now ... well, maybe they're feeling worse. The risks of basing your business on someone else's business, sadly Sad

XenForo's last Twitter update was like six months ago. Insane.
Yeah I think they have a court hearing today, unless it got moved or something. Then a couple others before we actually find out what will happen in January. Hopefully XF stays around.
Even if they do stay around, they've got a lot to make up to their customers. It's disgusting the way they've treated us so far. The least they could have done is keep us in the loop.
Yeah, but at the same time I feel like thinking that is a bit selfish. I mean I have a working product with community support, and the staff are currently undergoing legal battles as well as arguing between each other, at least it's not a buggy product left hanging. I'd imagine they're very stressed out, and worried much more about finding a place to live after all this than if their customers were happy before they went broke. x.x

Yeah they could drop us an update, but yeah I understand they're in a terrible situation.
I do see that too but still, we're paying customers. The last proper update (note: not talking software update, I mean dev update) was in August. It is now nearly December. Since then there has been one other announcement which basically told people "block this IP as it's a known spammer IP". I kind of expect more when I've paid $100+ for a license. I certainly won't be renewing until I see some progress made, though my license is currently being used by somebody else.
Definitely not, I have an expired license myself that isn't getting renewed anytime soon. I believe they've also been asked not to encourage purchasing of the software, not sure though. But again it's not like anyone that bought it already doesn't have a working software, with great user support on the forums. Much like here (The developers/owners aren't usually the ones answering questions, the support team is). I do wonder what would happen if a serious bug were to surface, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23