MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs XenForo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2012-05-03, 01:16 PM)guiltar Wrote: [ -> ]But 1.x and 2.x are completely different and separate since 2.0 will be coded in MVC pattern, the 1.x was not.

Yet we'll still be developing 1.x while developing 2.0. The current version is 1.6.7. If we were to hire someone to work on 2.0, and ignore 1.8, that's one less developer we have for developing the current series.

We're only a small team. We need people who will be dedicated to the project, not a specific version.
I understand that you guys want to keep 2.0 information minimal, but right now your current users are left in the dark and wondering what the hell to do during this transition. You need to give us some information. If you're saying 2-3 years now that directly contradicts what the lead developer Tomm M has said. Serious community managers need to be planning for this now.
(2012-05-03, 01:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that you guys want to keep 2.0 information minimal, but right now your current users are left in the dark and wondering what the hell to do during this transition.

What can we tell you? If we haven't even decided on a definite framework, how can we document how to process from 1.8 to 2.0? Have we ever just deployed a new release and said "Here you go, enjoy."? When it comes closer to the time, we'll provide all the information you need. There's little we can tell you apart from what we've already said.

(2012-05-03, 01:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]You need to give us some information. If you're saying 2-3 years now that directly contradicts what the lead developer Tomm M has said. Serious community managers need to be planning for this now.

Actually, I'm going off what Tomm said. But even then, it's a guess. That's why we don't say when any version will be released. We don't know.

We'd like to actually develop the software before writing the documentation.
Quote:What can we tell you?

What year it is coming out, for starters. I realize you guys are not deep into it at all but that is an important piece of information. 2013? 2014? If it's 2014 or beyond then there are some serious concerns. 1.8 seems to be getting kinda shafted and there are a lot of major features needed that won't be in 1.8 that are already out in many other softwares. I kind of think 1.8 is not getting the attention it deserves if 2.0 is really so, so far away.
Who cares about Xenforo.

I don't.
(2012-05-03, 02:37 PM)wmc Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares about Xenforo.

I don't.

Thanks for your awesome input man. I hope you'll continue to make such valuable contributions in the future.

XenForo and IPB are the future of forum software, so if you don't care yet, you should start.
(2012-05-03, 02:33 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]What year it is coming out, for starters. I realize you guys are not deep into it at all but that is an important piece of information. 2013? 2014? If it's 2014 or beyond then there are some serious concerns.

I'd say a stable release would be available around that time. It's all guess work though. You have to remember that we're only a small, unpaid team of volenteers. The more features people want, the longer it will take too. Firstly there's writing it so it's a base of a forum, then adding all the goodies.

(2012-05-03, 02:33 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 seems to be getting kinda shafted and there are a lot of major features needed that won't be in 1.8 that are already out in many other softwares. I kind of think 1.8 is not getting the attention it deserves if 2.0 is really so, so far away.

There's a lot of attention on 1.8 currently. We didn't tell you much in the first part of the tour but wait and see and you'll find we've make some significant improvements and additions. It's fair to say you'd think that but hopefully sometime this month you'll be able to see our progress.
(2012-05-03, 02:44 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your awesome input man. I hope you'll continue to make such valuable contributions in the future.

XenForo and IPB are the future of forum software, so if you don't care yet, you should start.

Your quite welcome.

Add: have no desire/use for paid forum software.
(2012-05-03, 02:46 PM)wmc Wrote: [ -> ]Add: have no desire/use for paid forum software.

Who cares? Paid software is going to influence free software.

Nathan, truly looking forward to seeing the developments.
So let me give you some history on 2.0.

Planning actually started in 2008. Serious road mapping was around 2010. I added my draft of 2.0 created with Yii 1.x in 2011. And here we are half way into 2012. I would love to tell you that you'll see it in 2013 but in retrospect I can't. Don't wait around for it because you don't need to plan for an upgrade anytime soon. In fact, waiting will probably only stunt the growth of your community. Look at the damage waiting around for a framework has done to us.

So with that in mind, I do hear the concerns for 1.8. I wouldn't say it keeps me up at night but there are 99 problems with 1.x and social features ain't one. You know (probably better than anyone) that I share many of the ideas you have - they would undoubtedly improve MyBB to an unbelievable piece of software - but I simply can't do them effectively with the current code within the boundaries of 1.x. That is the core reason why I started MyNetwork in the first place.

I could spend the rest of year developing 1.8; introducing threaded messages, new profiles, a better User CP - but where will it end? 2.x has drawn a line in the sand - unfortunately, with our resources, we've made such a good plan that the line is only just appearing on the horizon. When we're at the half way point we'll let you know.

If you think MyBB is the only one to suffer this then consider others; phpBB are working on 3.1 and 3.2 before even setting fingers for 4.0. SMF 3 is, well, SMF 3. We are the victims of our own success and MyBB 1.8 is designed to just buy ourselves a little extra time while still delivering a good product.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23