MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(2011-05-24, 10:48 AM)Coen Wrote: [ -> ]All time. Why? =[

Either your host or SFS has firewalled your connections (fairly unlikely) or SFS is simply overloaded.
That very Nice plugin you have here,,one question it is any known conflict and issue with other mods,,Thank You
Not that I'm aware of, it doesn't make any template changes so you should be fine.
Looking at the log file, I don't see anywhere that it indicates on which information point the registration was blocked (user name, email, IP, or a combination), even though I have seen such information hinted at within this thread.

Did I miss it, or would it be possible for that feature to be added without too much difficulty?

BTW, it is blocking an ~average~ of 50 to 60 registrations per day, and no spam posts yet. Very nice.
Do you mean it isn't showing the details of the people who were blocked or it isn't showing which of the details caused them to be blocked?

If it was the former then check logging is enabled and the file is writeable, if the later then unfortunately this functionality currently isn't included.
Hello people! Smile
I have a problem...I installed this plugin(for version 1.6), activated it, it shows that it works fine, no errors, all seems well...but spam bots keep registering!! Confused I check their IP addresses and find them listed on the stopforumspam site?
Which basically means that this plugin doesn't really work for me at all Sad

Any help would be appreciated!

(2011-06-02, 10:19 AM)mehtuus Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at the log file, I don't see anywhere that it indicates on which information point the registration was blocked (user name, email, IP, or a combination), even though I have seen such information hinted at within this thread.
Did I miss it, or would it be possible for that feature to be added without too much difficulty?

(2011-06-04, 12:58 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean it isn't showing the details of the people who were blocked or it isn't showing which of the details caused them to be blocked?
If it was the former then check logging is enabled and the file is writeable, if the later then unfortunately this functionality currently isn't included.

Well, unfortunately then it is the later of the two. Here is an example line from the log file. This line is quite obviously an automated attempt at spam registration. But even still, it does not indicate from what setting it was blocked: user name, email, IP, or a combination thereof. Bottom line is I am very glad that it and all the others like it were blocked.
Time: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:41:29 +0000 / Username: Zalpftrfitrpu / Email: [email protected] / IP: 188.123.248.62
Quote:Hello people! Smile
I have a problem...I installed this plugin(for version 1.6), activated it, it shows that it works fine, no errors, all seems well...but spam bots keep registering!! Confused I check their IP addresses and find them listed on the stopforumspam site?
Which basically means that this plugin doesn't really work for me at all Sad

I was finally able to take the time to install it yesterday and it definitely is working for me (forum version 1.6.3). I've only had one spammer sign-up today that I could tell right away because of the signature but according to the log file several attempts have been blocked.

The one account that did get through also had its IP registered at SFS, but here's the clincher. It did NOT have the e-mail used or the user name in the database, and since I currently have it set to block only if all three are true, that one slipped by (and I added those other two instances to the SFS database for that IP, which has a ton of entries already).

Of course I know my current set-up will let a few slip by occasionally but I decided better that than to try blocking by a single setting and accidentally block a legitimate user's IP address because it was once used by a spammer. People's IP addresses can change frequently.

Thanks so much for this, Tim B! It was on my old forum (SMF) but since having to install a new forum I hadn't got it tracked down yet for MyBB until a few days ago.
I have NOTHING against the mod, but I find the stopforumspam database is poor. While it contains many legit spammers, many people pose as others to get innocent people on the database... and with their removal forms always down...
(2011-06-05, 09:53 AM)mehtuus Wrote: [ -> ]But even still, it does not indicate from what setting it was blocked: user name, email, IP, or a combination thereof. Bottom line is I am very glad that it and all the others like it were blocked.

You can go to the stop forum spam website and put in the details and it will tell you if they are in the database, so you can tell why they were blocked this way.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26