MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(2010-08-24, 06:08 PM)The Grinch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-24, 05:15 PM)slickdude Wrote: [ -> ]Been getting like 35 a week, mostly from the .info.com domain as of late also mastwallpapers.com spamming a lot.

To enable this for 1.6 is any change necessary to the file version number or is it already upgraded in the plugins?
Nope didn't work says not compatible with 1.6

yeah open stopforumspam.php and find
"compatibility" => "14*"
and change the 14 to 16 and reupload, will work fine

also install this if you havent
http://mods.mybb.com/archive/view/recaptcha
its better captcha. the one with mybb by default sucks.

Uh found it and enabled it, working fine now. Thanks.
Seems like a great plugin. I think you should add a way to customize the message displayed to detected spam.
(2010-08-24, 12:12 PM)The Grinch Wrote: [ -> ]is everyone else having good luck with this? i noticed spam bots are still signing up.

I have been comparing the registration date on my forum with the database info on stopforumspam.com to see if spammers are signing up after their info ends up in the Stop Forum Spam database. Sadly, even with a spammers info in the database, they are still allowed to sign up. I don't know if it is a flaw in the plugin or a connection issue with the database, but I am still fighting off the spammers. Undecided
Yeah seems to not really make much of a difference. As policy I just made it admin approved only to be accepted, moderate the new usesrs especially from domains where spammer come from like Gmail and also disable their signatures which is where many spamvertisers advertise their wares.
@slickdude is it working for you buddy ...? moderating new user registration ? ?

Please let me know my forum is also victim of spam bot registration

Please any one find medicine for it

Not really. What I did find though was what you can do to nail it down. The spamvertisers mainly advertise through their signatures. Things you can do to tighten up the forums would be these steps.

Install a plugin that adds a tick to users whereby you can turn off the signature option on them.

bubulang authored such a plug and it is working in the forums I have right now. The name of the plugin is "Enable Signature On Group Basis" That will allow you to have a trusted group and the regular registered user. The regular users cannot sig, but perhaps a valued group members could. A neat plugin I wish the MYBB would standardize in their code perhaps next upgrade.

Moderate all posts in forums and let mods decide if they want to approve them or not.

The problem in MYBB is they need more anti spamvertising tools and also blacklist certain @email addresses. While popular, the worst addresses so far have been from gmail, hotmail to a lesser extent and very bad from India's sify.com emails which I think are affiliated as the gmail agent over there. We got tons of bad users from sify.com emails. They mainly were coming from Bangaladesh, Pakistan and India.
ohh ..u mean signature disalbaling will bring the solution,. is that ?

But here on my forum...even they have not activated their (spamers) account..only they keep registering day by day ...its headache to me what to do ?

(2010-10-29, 11:31 AM)jitking Wrote: [ -> ]ohh ..u mean signature disalbaling will bring the solution,. is that ?

But here on my forum...even they have not activated their (spamers) account..only they keep registering day by day ...its headache to me what to do ?

Disable their ability to register by email. Have it admin approved. If you find that a certain email address type for example [email protected] is spamming you, then set a registration topic posted for non registered people to read before registering. Then list the jumk mail addresses that will be batch deleted by you when they register with that address...

By the way if anyone can develop a plugin that denies registration to a specific address type or deletes new accounts that register example #gmail.com for example, that plugin would be well loved Wink unless I have missed it and it already exists.
yeah..what plug in ur saying will absolutely helpful for us..by the way thanx for ur replay here...still I will be waiting for any powerful plug-in to prevent that matter.
(2010-10-31, 02:29 AM)slickdude Wrote: [ -> ]By the way if anyone can develop a plugin that denies registration to a specific address type or deletes new accounts that register example #gmail.com for example, that plugin would be well loved Wink unless I have missed it and it already exists.

mybb already supports this for domains. In your admin control panel, goto Configuration -> Banning -> Dissallow Email Addresses

If you want to block gmail.com as your example. It would be -

*@gmail.com

Now no one with a gmail.com address can register.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26