MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Shutting down my PC solved my problem, thanks for this plugin Smile
Got it working, folks over at SFS were really helpful (thanks for the advice). Had to do with a setting in my PHP.INI file....needed to set the following from 0 to On

allow_url_fopen = On
Works like a charm and stopped 16 bots from registering within the first couple of hours. Thanks!
I also inserted my api key in the goodbyespammer plugin to contribute to the database.

Small suggestions for the future development:
- make the "registration denied" text editable in the settings. I changed it in the plugin file to match my board language and also added a stopsign graphic Wink
- make the log file readable with a browser, either trough the admin cp or direct opening

Thanks
Atnun
Thanks for the plugin.
Works fine.

Now, I have fun with the spamerlogs...
and not the spamers with my blog...

cu move
(2011-08-03, 02:24 AM)mrfield16 Wrote: [ -> ]Got it working, folks over at SFS were really helpful (thanks for the advice). Had to do with a setting in my PHP.INI file....needed to set the following from 0 to On

allow_url_fopen = On

Hello mrfield16, I would really appreciate if you could point out where exactly can I find that allow_url_fopen option?

I have, the same problem, stopforumspam constantly lets spam bots register, like it doesn't work at all... Sad

Any help would be appreciated!
You need to contact your web host and ask them to turn allow_url_fopen on in their PHP configuration.
^thank you faviouz for your reply, but my provider insists that I should leave it off because of the risks it may bring with it turned on.
So I have two questions
1.Can somebody explain me what kind of risks exactly I'm taking by turning this option on?
2.Does it have more to do with the plugin itself(in other words - if I believe to this plugin and to the stopforumspam site then I shouldn't worry?) or it could cause all sorts of problems, and is risky in general?
Hi VEGETA_DTX,

i had have the same Problem with "allow_url_fopen".
But i have found a Solution on Internet.

You can create your own "php.ini" at the MYBB-Root-Folder with the String
allow_url_fopen = On.
That works for me great.

Best regards

(2011-08-17, 07:54 PM)VEGETA_DTX Wrote: [ -> ]^thank you faviouz for your reply, but my provider insists that I should leave it off because of the risks it may bring with it turned on.
So I have two questions
1.Can somebody explain me what kind of risks exactly I'm taking by turning this option on?
2.Does it have more to do with the plugin itself(in other words - if I believe to this plugin and to the stopforumspam site then I shouldn't worry?) or it could cause all sorts of problems, and is risky in general?

^Somsak, thank you very much for your help. Still though I am a bit afraid of risk, after my host have told me that its turned off for the safety reasons Big Grin first I have to understand all the risks that come with it and then I might decide to do it...I'm such a paranoid Toungue
There's no real security risk, unless you're site gets hacked, which in any case would mean it's insecure in the first place.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26