MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(2010-01-28, 05:22 PM)Flex Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any information about how stopforumspam.com treats the data it receives?
Everyone not in the database is possibly a valid e-mail adress and could be used or sold in spam lists...

Would it matter? Its not someones real email.
(2010-01-28, 05:22 PM)Flex Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any information about how stopforumspam.com treats the data it receives?
Everyone not in the database is possibly a valid e-mail adress and could be used or sold in spam lists...
I couldn't find a privacy policy actually but they are quite well known and I am sure someone would have noticed by now if they were doing that.

(2010-01-29, 07:09 AM)Dillon Wrote: [ -> ]Nice plugin! Installed it to my forum. Hope it prevents spammer to spam my forum.
Thanks, let me know how it goes Smile

On another note, the plugin has been added to their downloads page: http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads/
Thanks a lot man. I'm always paranoid about spammers joining while I'm not on.

Some features that would be nice though are logs of denied registrations, the option to put them into a separate usergroup instead of denying them, and maybe even a place to submit users to the stopforumspam.com database.
This sounds like a very good solution, so I just installed it. Before, I checked ISPs manually from stopforumspam.com and 99% of the spammers I've had to deal with in the past year have been matches. So if this works the way it should it will save me a lot of work. Thank you! Smile
Does guest posting stop?
No, in my next version (which I will hopefully get around to on my week off next week) though I plan on adding an option to check the IP of guests if guest posting is enabled.
Very good plugin. Thank you very much.
I was going to make a database much like the one at stopforumspam.com as well as the plugin to go with it. Testing it isnt that difficult. Simply go to stopforumspam.com, find the last 24hours of spammers and try to register on the board with their username/email

I suppose the IP is the only issue to test
Sorry to bump this topic, but I have a few suggestions.

I was wondering if instead of denying registration, we quietly moderate their posts instead (or have an option to).

Also, I was wondering if there could also be options like this for one or two infractions. I've noticed this because I've gotten a lot of false positives as of late. Just let me know.
this thing is STRICT if you leave the option to check usernames!

I made a test account of 'andrew' and it kept blocking me..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26