MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(2011-06-07, 12:43 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-05, 09:53 AM)mehtuus Wrote: [ -> ]But even still, it does not indicate from what setting it was blocked: user name, email, IP, or a combination thereof. Bottom line is I am very glad that it and all the others like it were blocked.

You can go to the stop forum spam website and put in the details and it will tell you if they are in the database, so you can tell why they were blocked this way.

Thank you, I was not aware of that.
(2011-06-07, 12:26 AM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]I have NOTHING against the mod, but I find the stopforumspam database is poor. While it contains many legit spammers, many people pose as others to get innocent people on the database... and with their removal forms always down...

Ok, you list what you don't like, but have you at least tested what else is available? And what were your results?
Thank you Regina for your reply!
I didn't check log file so far, but now that I did, it obviously blocked 2 of them...However I am almost sure it let 3 spam bots pass.
And I think you are right, I will also set the option "All criteria must be met to deny registration" to ON. I'd much rather do more work(but hey how hard is it to simply delete a spammer Big Grin) than to get some innocent people stopped.
Hi, only keep getting "Error: StopForumSpam.com could not be reached" in the log file. MyBB 1.6.3. cURL enabled (checked with phpinfo). Every time I check Stopforumspam website is up and searchable. Any suggestion would be appreciated, getting dead sick from these spammers.
^I get the same error messages in the log...but I though it says that for all the members that are not on stop forumspam...kinda like a way of saying "this one is not on stopforumspam list...".
Or am I wrong?
maybe because stopforumspam.com isn't available. Anyone know what happened? What would this plugin do then?
Quote:maybe because stopforumspam.com isn't available. Anyone know what happened? What would this plugin do then?
Yes, they had a massive hardware failure on their server but have managed to get pretty much everything back together very quickly, so the SFS database is mostly working now, although I've seen some phpBB users post they're still having trouble.

Best thing to do in a case like that is keep a close eye on the SFS forum. Although it was down more than it was up, it was still up enough to at least find out what was going on. Smile

Quote:Hi, only keep getting "Error: StopForumSpam.com could not be reached" in the log file. MyBB 1.6.3. cURL enabled (checked with phpinfo). Every time I check Stopforumspam website is up and searchable. Any suggestion would be appreciated, getting dead sick from these spammers.
I would ask on the forum at SFS because you will get good help and fairly quickly.
Hi Regina,

Thanks for your suggestion, might just do that. So far nothing seems to change, long list of same error in the logfile. It does appear however none of the spammers in the log actually do register. Can´t tell if if that´s due to the plugin, however I´ll keep it active for now, doesn´t seem to harm also. Currently getting 1 - 2 spammers registering daily, however none of them ever seems to post. They do somehow bypass E-mail activation. Any idea how they get this done?
(2011-03-12, 03:58 AM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone encountered real users getting blocked as spammers?

Yes. I have a user @skritter.com being blocked if "Check e-mail" is on. Worse, the message they get is just "can't open file". Random guess is that it happens because sfs_log.php doesn't exist.

You can test this error by trying to register a user with an invalid domain name, like [email protected].
When I add the stopforumspam.php to the plugins folder, nothing comes up on my settings page. What am I doing wrong?
(2011-07-23, 03:46 PM)insanemustang Wrote: [ -> ]When I add the stopforumspam.php to the plugins folder, nothing comes up on my settings page. What am I doing wrong?

Go to your Admin Control Panel Plugins page and make sure that Stop forum spam has been activated. Then go to your ACP Configuration > Settings page and scroll down until you find Stopforumspam.com check.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26