MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] [updated for 1.6] Stopforumspam.com plugin for MyBB - Stop the Spam!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
This plugin is aimed to help combat the ever present war on spam, this enables you to check all new registrations to your forum against the stopforumspam.com database to see if they are known spammers. It can check their username, email and IP address.

This plugin is very configurable so you can dial in exactly the level of scrutiny you want, you can choose whether or not to check the users email, IP and username and also whether all their details have to match those of a spammer or just one of their details.

The plugin is very easy to install, it is just like installing any other plugin and requires no code modification.

New:
I just made a minor update to this plugin so it should now work with 1.6, I also added a simple logging tool that can be enabled in settings.

If logging is enabled then a file called sfs_log.php will be created in your root MyBB directory when there is something to log and it will log both rejected registrations and any errors.

I have also improved the error fall-back handling with another setting about how to handle cases such as stopforumspam.com being down.

New (November 2012):

Tomm M got sick of his name getting him blocked by SFS so he added a confidence level feature, allowing you to specify how strictly you need the filter to be.

The plugin also has a new home on GitHub.

Download

Enjoy, Tim.
I'm curious as to how you've tested to see how this works? I mean, how would you know that someone has actually tried to register to your forum, who may be a spammer and therefore would be rejected through your plug in?

:edited for typo
I just set the variables in the code for the IP, email and username to those of known spammers from the database to test. As I said though, this isn't exactly a real life test so there may well be some unforeseen issues. I have tested this quite a bit though and trying it wont do any damage to your forum so people shouldn't really be to concerned.
i use a mod like this for Vb, so far its stopped like 15k spammers in a year
Can you change it so it will send a PM/email to the admin(s) and not tell the user? I let more then one person from the same IP to log into / sign in to my site and thus this plugin (as good as it is) could cause me problems.
But if it did that then your inbox would be effectively slammed. You won't have any issue with your users unless their IP address is on the stopforumspam database and you can easily just disable the IP and username check in the settings so it only checks the users email address.
Nice! Big Grin

I'm installing this
Thanks darkly.

The plugin is now available on the mods site: http://mods.mybboard.net/view/stopforums...m-for-mybb

I will remove the ability to download in this thread now.
Wow this is perfect... We have been using that site for a very long time..now to have a plugin will be even better Thank you!!!!!!
Hmm.
Looks good. I think I'll try this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26