MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: List of Confirmed Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Personally, there is very little between the major frameworks. Once you learn one you can quite quickly pick up another.

But it is an important part of the software and you have to pick the right balance between functionality, performance and sustainability. In fact, it's harder for us - we need to pick one the suits us and compliments the skill sets of our users.
(2012-04-19, 07:47 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-19, 07:26 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get why everyone cares so much about what framework MyBB uses ... in the end, it's the developers that have to work with it.
Yes, but you're the one using it... Don't you want to be sure you're running off of a good base?

I've been using MyBB for many years now. I trust the developers to make the correct decision. None of us are the ones developing the software so we can't really know what the exact needs are.
Really, as long as it can be fairly easily learned, I don't care what framework is chosen.
(2012-04-21, 03:17 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using MyBB for many years now. I trust the developers to make the correct decision. None of us are the ones developing the software so we can't really know what the exact needs are.

By that logic you should not post any feedback on 2.0 at all, because you trust the developers will make the correct decision. We're awesome, but we're not always right. I can almost assure you 2.0 would be taking a very different path if it wasn't for the feedback we're getting. The framework we'll be using is quite an important decision, if not the most important one. It will define how fast MyBB runs on larger boards and how easy it is to create themes and plugins. So discussing it is essential.
I think in terms of popularity and developer support for the framework (Yii) is an important factor to consider.

Yii really has a large following and lots of devolopers maintaining the core code. The framework could give MyBB allot of flexibility with database engines and provide allot more options to plugin developers.

It would be allot easier to create a plugin that uses new database tables and has to deal with form fields. Plugins and template modifications would practically drop in via the overrides system built into Yii.

It would make a huge opensource codebase available. Any Yii module could be adapted to integrate with the forum. There are already modules for Facebook's and Google login/authentication api's. MyBB could capitalise on this stuff.
I was thinking about the MyBB developers team can create they own framework for MyBB based on Symfony components ( http://fabien.potencier.org/articles ) I think it's a good idea
(2012-04-22, 06:21 PM)Night Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about the MyBB developers team can create they own framework for MyBB based on Symfony components ( http://fabien.potencier.org/articles ) I think it's a good idea

It would be such a waste of time creating a framework while some real engineers have already done some amazing ones like Yii or Symfony.
And to be honest I find Symfony one of the most complicated PHP frameworks.. The class names are so long and give me nightmares. :/
(2012-04-23, 08:19 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-22, 06:21 PM)Night Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about the MyBB developers team can create they own framework for MyBB based on Symfony components ( http://fabien.potencier.org/articles ) I think it's a good idea
And to be honest I find Symfony one of the most complicated PHP frameworks.. The class names are so long and give me nightmares. :/
I agree with you, I'm working with HttpFoundation of Symfony and I have to use
use Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request;
use Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response;

$request = Request::createFromGlobals();
And I doesn't like it because I have to use "use" (thanks of god for the classes aliases) and things like "createFromGlobals" but doing that I've created a page request and I'm ready to manage it.... now compare that with some code of Yii....
(2012-04-12, 03:40 PM)Night Wrote: [ -> ]Some code of Yii
$this->widget('zii.widgets.grid.CGridView', array(
     'id'=>'user-grid',
     'dataProvider'=>$model->search(),
     'filter'=>$model,
     'columns'=>array(
         'id',
         'username',
         'password',
         'email',
          array('class'=>'CButtonColumn'),
      ))
);
Soo....
(2012-04-21, 12:42 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-21, 03:17 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using MyBB for many years now. I trust the developers to make the correct decision. None of us are the ones developing the software so we can't really know what the exact needs are.

By that logic you should not post any feedback on 2.0 at all, because you trust the developers will make the correct decision. We're awesome, but we're not always right. I can almost assure you 2.0 would be taking a very different path if it wasn't for the feedback we're getting. The framework we'll be using is quite an important decision, if not the most important one. It will define how fast MyBB runs on larger boards and how easy it is to create themes and plugins. So discussing it is essential.

Aww, come on, I don't really think "this is a feature I would like to have access to" is the same thing as talking about the framework. It's true that I should probably leave it alone as I don't have the knowledge necessary to discuss it, though.
You're right, it isn't. It's ten times more important. That wasn't my point though. Everyone was discussing which path MyBB should take in regards to the framework and you suggest we should just leave it to the developers. MyBB 2.0 is at a very early stage, we're still researching what framework we should use. Yii is a good candidate so far, but if the community thinks there are better alternatives, why not discuss it? We could be completely wrong about Yii and it turns out to be really slow or something.

I don't know a whole lot about frameworks either. So far I've only used CodeIgniter because of the extensive documentation and community behind it, making it a great learning framework. But I understand enough to know this is a decision we cannot afford to make without discussing it first. So let's leave it to those who know what they're doing, shall we? Toungue

Speaking of CodeIgniter... To the experienced developers out there, what's so wrong about it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47