MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: List of Confirmed Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
(2011-09-19, 02:49 AM)cvwan8ur Wrote: [ -> ]Yii isn't too bad, but it's beefy, though not as sluggish as Zend. Lithium or Kohana would be much better as far as performance is concerned, but they have significantly smaller communities, thus requiring a lot of manual legwork. phpBB guys are using Symfony 2 for the next version of phpBB. That's a solid framework, but that's also one hell of a learning curve.

If I were going for a feature packed framework, I'd go with Symfony 2. If I were going for a framework with large communities and tons of support, then I'd go with CI or Yii. If I were going for performance, I'd go with Lithium (or possibly a lesser known Hydrogen, which is really just a library at this point, and not a framework, per se). If I wanted a decent balance of performance and community support, I'd go with Kohana (or possibly newcomer Fuel, which is gaining momentum).
Yii is one of the fastest frameworks available and in my opinion Kohana is usually slower than Yii. I never tried Lithium because it was born for PHP 5.3+ and when I looked for a PHP framework, PHP 5.3 wasn't common. However it doesn't seem as feature complete as Yii. I tried Symfony and I can say that YAML sucks, however I didn't try Symfony2 yet. Overall my choice was Yii: fast, feature rich, if it lacks something there are tons of extensions available, large community and actively developed.

Quote:Yii is among the best performing frameworks out there (though without caching, it's quite sluggish).
Yii using yiilite with caching (i.e. APC) is extremely fast, but without caching (so without yiilite, because you usually use yiilite when caching is available) it's still pretty fast.
Will there be a script to convert old templates for use with mybb 2.0? Vbulletin offers one of these and it... works.. barely.. but it does convert.

(2011-07-24, 09:17 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]So we can just have one post of what's confirmed and not have a bunch of duplicated. Please don't use this thread for suggestions. If I do miss something though please do let me know and I'll add it.
  • Yii will be the php framework used for MyBB 2.0.
  • Twig will be the template engine.
  • 2.0 will use jquery(also use by yii as default js library).
  • SEO friendly Url(as yii already provide easy way to do this).
  • A WYSIWYG editor will be included with the option of disabling at the admin and user levels.
  • A new theme
    -Will include css based buttons
  • An API will be available to make integration easier.
  • Improved User CP
  • Conversation PMs
  • New Profiles
  • Mobile Functionality
  • There will be modal boxes in 2.0 as Matt wrote in this post.
  • Threaded mode will be removed.
Off the top of my head that's all I can think of that has been said to be for sure so far. Again, if I missed something let me know Wink(Please provide a link to the staff members post).

I doubt it as there will be a whole new template system and unlike vb3 to vb4 this will be a full rewrite.
I wonder why you use yii and and twig and not symfony and twig

(2011-10-04, 03:03 PM)dyrer Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder why you use yii and and twig and not symfony and twig

(2011-09-29, 01:53 PM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-19, 02:49 AM)cvwan8ur Wrote: [ -> ]Yii isn't too bad, but it's beefy, though not as sluggish as Zend. Lithium or Kohana would be much better as far as performance is concerned, but they have significantly smaller communities, thus requiring a lot of manual legwork. phpBB guys are using Symfony 2 for the next version of phpBB. That's a solid framework, but that's also one hell of a learning curve.

If I were going for a feature packed framework, I'd go with Symfony 2. If I were going for a framework with large communities and tons of support, then I'd go with CI or Yii. If I were going for performance, I'd go with Lithium (or possibly a lesser known Hydrogen, which is really just a library at this point, and not a framework, per se). If I wanted a decent balance of performance and community support, I'd go with Kohana (or possibly newcomer Fuel, which is gaining momentum).
Yii is one of the fastest frameworks available and in my opinion Kohana is usually slower than Yii. I never tried Lithium because it was born for PHP 5.3+ and when I looked for a PHP framework, PHP 5.3 wasn't common. However it doesn't seem as feature complete as Yii. I tried Symfony and I can say that YAML sucks, however I didn't try Symfony2 yet. Overall my choice was Yii: fast, feature rich, if it lacks something there are tons of extensions available, large community and actively developed.

Quote:Yii is among the best performing frameworks out there (though without caching, it's quite sluggish).
Yii using yiilite with caching (i.e. APC) is extremely fast, but without caching (so without yiilite, because you usually use yiilite when caching is available) it's still pretty fast.

Wink
From what I've read about it all, I think they did the right thing.
Wow cant wait for the 2.0, good job guys.
(2011-10-05, 01:22 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's pretty safe to say that thread ratings won't exist in MyBB 2.0.

(2011-10-05, 01:50 PM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-05, 01:22 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's pretty safe to say that thread ratings won't exist in MyBB 2.0.

HeartExclamation
If they don't I'm going to create a module for them. Imho, I think it's going to be a missed feature.
(2011-10-06, 07:31 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]If they don't I'm going to create a module for them. Imho, I think it's going to be a missed feature.

You haven't seen what we're replacing them with. Much better, IMHO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47