MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: List of Confirmed Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am so excited for the new MyBB. It must be hard seeing as you update the current version of MyBB and create a new one. Must be stressful.
Yii isn't too bad, but it's beefy, though not as sluggish as Zend. Lithium or Kohana would be much better as far as performance is concerned, but they have significantly smaller communities, thus requiring a lot of manual legwork. phpBB guys are using Symfony 2 for the next version of phpBB. That's a solid framework, but that's also one hell of a learning curve.

If I were going for a feature packed framework, I'd go with Symfony 2. If I were going for a framework with large communities and tons of support, then I'd go with CI or Yii. If I were going for performance, I'd go with Lithium (or possibly a lesser known Hydrogen, which is really just a library at this point, and not a framework, per se). If I wanted a decent balance of performance and community support, I'd go with Kohana (or possibly newcomer Fuel, which is gaining momentum).
Why not just code the whole thing from scratch? Toungue
(2011-09-19, 02:51 AM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just code the whole thing from scratch? Toungue

Everything has its ups and downs. In theory a framework should mean less base work which means a quicker release.
(2011-09-19, 04:48 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Everything has its ups and downs. In theory a framework should mean less base work which means a quicker release.
And cleaner, more predictable code. It's going to be fabulous having the power of a framework behind MyBB.
(2011-09-19, 04:48 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-19, 02:51 AM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just code the whole thing from scratch? Toungue

Everything has its ups and downs. In theory a framework should mean less base work which means a quicker release.

That has more to do with development methodology than it does with using a framework. The framework you use should complement your methodology. Lithium, for example, specifically targets RAD strategies. There are also frameworks that promote sequential and other strategies. That is to say that a framework can also be designed to slow down release cycles.
I'm a big Codeigniter fan, not come across Yii before but I'm looking forward to playing around with it.
I'd rather codeingniter too. Older project with wide support.
The problem with CodeIgniter is that it's not exceptional at anything in particular. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. The best thing it has going for it is a huge community, which is exactly what Yii has. Yii is definitely more feature rich than CI, and with proper opcode caching, Yii is among the best performing frameworks out there (though without caching, it's quite sluggish).
Wow it s wonderful..I use mybb from 1.2 version!