MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the legal age owning a domain/website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(2010-06-28, 07:05 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]Look there are laws in place for reasons in North America.

In certain States/Provinces there are no exceptions to the rules! You have to be 18/21 to vote, 18/21 to be on welfare, 18/21 to buy smokes and to get a tattoo 18/21, to buy alcohol 18/21 go to a bar 18/21, and to drive a car 16/21, look I didnt make laws its whether or not we as a society can follow Laws and protect our children... But since alot people today dont follow laws kids look at it like monkey see monkey do and then we pay the consequences. This is one of the many reasons Im concerned.

Remember laws arent there to break there there to protect and if you break a law you or me have to pay...
The problem is that there are no laws for internet in most countries and from what I have seen when it comes to governments trying to put restrictions on the net I just see fails. Look at Australia for example. You can't govern the internet. Impossible.

The internet is here for young and old to come together. To socialize, innovation, build, and do other great things in human society. Look at Google or Microsoft. Do you really thing Larry Page, Sergey Brin, or Bill Gates would have ever invented and developed the technology we are using today if they weren't allowed to play around with computers when they were young?
(2010-06-28, 06:28 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 06:05 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 03:00 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]See there lays the problem, you believe minors should show more respect and suck up to elders on the internet.

Technology is ruining manners without respect to actual humans. Some people are so surrounded by the internet, they don't know anything else or rather, not willing to learn it.

Now your making generalization. I will admit the Anonymity the internet offers has brought some bad characters about (look at /b on 4chan Rolleyes). However Bob Jansen is a very respectable young man on the internet from what I have seen.

I tend to disagree, respectability is only acquired by honest people, people that do not lie, do not manipulate others and are man of their word.

Unfortunately proof have been given 8 months ago that Bob Jansen, alias "Zomaian", was not of this kind of people, mostly because he started a contest and the day he had to give the prizes to the winners he decided instead to close his forum and sell it...

Here is some references :

RE: Selling FireForums - Everything included!

exdiogene posted on 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

exdiogene Wrote:Can you tell us if you have given the prizes for your forum referral contest as writen here:

Quote: 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator Zomaian Offline
Administrator
RE: [Prices] Referral Contest
Referral Contest closed, winners will be known on 25th!

From your list, the 3 winners of the free hosting were:

Quote:FireForums
Referral Toplist

[refer a new member]
Joomla12 17
Zomaian 11
Hero 5

The main reason for the question was that you seem to have closed the forums that specific day and never responded to this post :

Quote:09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Member Hero Offline
Ah. I'm waiting for the results. Wink
Respect List:
Everyone. Smile
Here is a picture of a star.[Image: Star.png]

The value of a site depend mostly on its reputation...

Bob Jansen Wrote:Zomaian response of 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM:

Simply because I lost interest already a view days before the contested ended, since no one was active during the contest I started to visit FireForums maybe once a three days due to work and other projects. Than I suddenly realized that the contest was already over so I closed it but no one basically logged on anymore the whole forum was just based on guest traffic, like when ever you went on the forums it showed something like 0 members online, 57 guests, 4 bots.

The main trouble was that I was to busy with work that I forgot and had no time for FireForums leading to -> dead forum. I am simple selling this since it still gets tons of hits because I have spend quite some money in advertising it on several forums.

Edit: No I haven't since their was only 2 winners and I never saw them online anymore.

Sorry, but "Hero" was a winner and he posted the last day the forum was online. This is only a big lie to not assume your responsibilities...

Please tell us again the difference between an adult and a kid!
(2010-06-28, 07:05 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]Look there are laws in place for reasons in North America.

In certain States/Provinces there are no exceptions to the rules! You have to be 18/21 to vote, 18/21 to be on welfare, 18/21 to buy smokes and to get a tattoo 18/21, to buy alcohol 18/21 go to a bar 18/21, and to drive a car 16/21, look I didnt make laws its whether or not we as a society can follow Laws and protect our children... But since alot people today dont follow laws kids look at it like monkey see monkey do and then we pay the consequences. This is one of the many reasons Im concerned.

Remember laws arent there to break there there to protect and if you break a law you or me have to pay...

So your going to tell me no one in your generation broke these laws? I know for a fact just about every generation broke prohibition laws. Yes, there is one law to protect children on on the internet in the US which is COPPA. Other than that though there are few laws regarding age and the internet(to my knowledge).
Right, that's it. I'm not going to be lectured on breaking the law by someone who is presenting themselves in the way technoman is. It isn't often I see someone this obnoxious, arrogant and self-righteous, and in my opinion it's people like him who are ruining the internet for people. If you've never broken any kind of law, you're either a liar or you've led the most boring life on earth.
(2010-06-28, 07:31 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 06:28 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 06:05 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 03:00 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]See there lays the problem, you believe minors should show more respect and suck up to elders on the internet.

Technology is ruining manners without respect to actual humans. Some people are so surrounded by the internet, they don't know anything else or rather, not willing to learn it.

Now your making generalization. I will admit the Anonymity the internet offers has brought some bad characters about (look at /b on 4chan Rolleyes). However Bob Jansen is a very respectable young man on the internet from what I have seen.

I tend to disagree, respectability is only acquired by honest people, people that do not lie, do not manipulate others and are man of their word.

Unfortunately proof have been given 8 months ago that Bob Jansen, alias "Zomaian", was not of this kind of people, mostly because he started a contest and the day he had to give the prizes to the winners he decided instead to close his forum and sell it...

Here is some references :

RE: Selling FireForums - Everything included!

exdiogene posted on 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

exdiogene Wrote:Can you tell us if you have given the prizes for your forum referral contest as writen here:

Quote: 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator Zomaian Offline
Administrator
Referral Contest closed, winners will be known on 25th!

From your list, the 3 winners of the free hosting were:

Quote:FireForums
Referral Toplist

[refer a new member]
Joomla12 17
Zomaian 11
Hero 5

The main reason for the question was that you seem to have closed the forums that specific day and never responded to this post :

Quote:09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Member Hero Offline
Ah. I'm waiting for the results. Wink
Respect List:
Everyone. Smile
Here is a picture of a star.[Image: Star.png]

The value of a site depend mostly on its reputation...

Bob Jansen Wrote:Zomaian response of 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM:

Simply because I lost interest already a view days before the contested ended, since no one was active during the contest I started to visit FireForums maybe once a three days due to work and other projects. Than I suddenly realized that the contest was already over so I closed it but no one basically logged on anymore the whole forum was just based on guest traffic, like when ever you went on the forums it showed something like 0 members online, 57 guests, 4 bots.

The main trouble was that I was to busy with work that I forgot and had no time for FireForums leading to -> dead forum. I am simple selling this since it still gets tons of hits because I have spend quite some money in advertising it on several forums.

Edit: No I haven't since their was only 2 winners and I never saw them online anymore.

Sorry, but "Hero" was a winner and he posted the last day the forum was online. This is only a big lie to not assume your responsibilities...

Please tell us again the difference between an adult and a kid!
I have no clue where he is, he never contacted me either. You think I closed that board on purpose because I didn't want to give the price? The forum was dead and even Hero didn't came back or contacted me. I PM'ed him the day I left FireForums to add me on MSN. Anyways let's not go offtopic otherwise I will have to close or clean the thread.

Are you are aware that North America does not own the internet, right?
(2010-06-28, 08:05 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways let's not go off topic otherwise I will have to close or clean the thread.

Please try to stay focus on this topic for one, and second if people have issues with something why should you close a thread my thread? This to me is not being responsible way of doing it.

Please do NOT turn off this thread as Im here and Im trying to get answers and comments from "Adults" and "Parents" and from here us Adults can slowly remove any of the infections that have occured here and abroad...

Children today do not yet fully grasp, that those pictures or text or videos or thread and blogs and forums or anything you produce over the net now while your under age and growing up could resurface at a job interview when you are 20 or end up being used against you in a situation down the road when you are 40 because today everything has persistence online and can be accessed by many unintended audiences? These are some of the questions that face teens which are different from those confronting previous generations of teens.
(2010-06-28, 09:01 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 08:05 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways let's not go off topic otherwise I will have to close or clean the thread.

Please try to stay focus on this topic for one, and second if people have issues with something why should you close a thread my thread? This to me is not being responsible way of doing it.

Please do NOT turn off this thread as Im here and Im trying to get answers and comments from "Adults" and "Parents" and from here us Adults can slowly remove any of the infections that have occured here and abroad...

Children today do not yet fully grasp, that those pictures or text or videos or thread and blogs and forums or anything you produce over the net now while your under age and growing up could resurface at a job interview when you are 20 or end up being used against you in a situation down the road when you are 40 because today everything has persistence online and can be accessed by many unintended audiences? These are some of the questions that face teens which are different from those confronting previous generations of teens.

Yes. But you have yet to provide us with any single law preventing teens access to the same internet as adults. =/ You seem to have this idea about yourself that when you are losing the argument to others with sound logic, you switch gears. And your only two gears are "Law" and "Morals" and when you cannot provide a law you switch to morals =/ You're really just getting annoying with this. Can you name a single law or not?
Regulating and "policing" the internet is impossible. There are estimated to be tens of trillions of webpages. Even if you had millions of staff, you could not scan every page for wrongdoing. Check every users age. In an airport, you have passports. What do you have for ID on the internet?

Policing the internet will never happen. In the UK, virgin (i think) tried to put scanners on their ISP servers to check for illegal file downloading. OFCOM put a stop to that because of privacy issues. International laws contravene so many new laws, making regulating worldwide communications a court nightmare!
(2010-06-28, 09:01 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]Children today do not yet fully grasp, that those pictures or text or videos or thread and blogs and forums or anything you produce over the net now while your under age and growing up could resurface at a job interview when you are 20 or end up being used against you in a situation down the road when you are 40 because today everything has persistence online and can be accessed by many unintended audiences? These are some of the questions that face teens which are different from those confronting previous generations of teens.

I believe many do, and those who fail to do so have the freedom of deleting such profiles and images at any point during their careers. At the end of the day, it is up to a mature child to realise that on their own or for their parent to educate them on it, not the state to dictate the nature of content a child can access.

With the advent of digital cameras, even more incidents will start happening with regards to inappropriate photos appearing at inopportune moments. Nevertheless, even without the internet this has happened in past generations to many people in public life. It's just up to us to be responsible as people.

Your dismissive nature is becoming more and more frustrating post by post. Yes, it would be nice to see a clean society, a clean internet and prosperity for all, but that won't happen. We can't protect ourselves against everything, and all we can do for children is ensure that they are knowledgeable enough to take suitable precautions when on the internet such as placing adequate security and privacy controls on social networking profiles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25