MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the legal age owning a domain/website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(2010-07-04, 10:36 PM)Modv2 Wrote: [ -> ]
Novahost.org TOS Wrote:1. ACCOUNT USAGE - You must be at least 13 years of age to request an account.
http://novahost.org/tos.php

13 years old, not 18. Wink

that Domain you just posted is located as Canadian thereforth YES they are breaking Canadian Laws by allowing 13 year olds to register and point there domain name to that server in Canada threw that hosting site you posted Confused

Who can register a CANADIAN domain name?

In order to register a domain name, you have to satisfy the Canadian Presence Requirements for Registrants. Basicaly you have to be one of the following:

Canadian citizen. (A canadian citizen at legal age according to their provincial laws).

http://www.domain-name-canada.com/faq/cafaq.htm
(2010-07-04, 04:37 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Thus why i said Credit card and not the other 2. And yes you can easily verify which they are using. Point is this sort of thing can be easily enforced if they wanted to. Smile
From the receivers end neither prepaid or debit visa cards are any different from a regular credit card. I still hit credit when I use my Debit card and it still goes through the Visa network. I know underage people have bought from online bottle shops because they the site thought using credit cards was a reliable way of determining age as well.

(2010-07-04, 04:44 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]It is a binding contract and thus why 18..

Theoretically debit cards are 18 but banks don't seem to care and I know multiple people from different banks (here in Australia at least) who have just used the online application and the bank never bothered to check their age. They don't care because the customer is using their own money any way so it's no risk to them. Plus you can get a debit card with your parents authorization when your under 18 any way. (this is the way it is here at least but we represent a significant volume of people and any policies need to be applicable to all your customers)

(2010-07-04, 09:46 PM)Svizy Wrote: [ -> ]That's correct and would be very effective IMO, but not every 18+ year-old person has a driver's licence (e.g. I'm 19 years old and I still don't have a driver's licence or a credit card).
Surely you have some form of photo ID? How do you get into bars? That aside a photo of a licence still isn't very reliable, Photoshop can do a very convincing job in about 2 seconds and I'm not suggesting that you do it but it's not like your going to get caught if your just using it for a hosting company.
(2010-07-05, 12:03 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]Photoshop can do a very convincing job in about 2 seconds and I'm not suggesting that you do it but it's not like your going to get caught if your just using it for a hosting company.

If you wanna talk like that in a public forum on how 'Photoshop' can do the magic of deception right, to me why say it in this specific topic of Legal Laws don't you realize there are thousands of users who will actually try what your referring to in order to decieve Laws?

I just think, if were here discussing on topic shouldnt we not talk about the stuff to get around these laws and rules that are in place ... correct me if im wrong ?
... dont you actually listen?
(2010-07-05, 12:14 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]these laws and rules that are in place ... correct me if im wrong ?

There arent any, we've been telling you this for the last 24 pages..... You are wrong. How old are you btw? To be honest you sound like a goody-two-shoes 12 year old, trying to change the world's laws. You cant.
(2010-07-05, 12:17 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]There arent any, we've been telling you this for the last 24 pages

here you go if you havent read

http://community.mybb.com/thread-72427-p...#pid531095
(2010-07-05, 12:14 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]If you wanna talk like that in a public forum on how 'Photoshop' can do the magic of deception right

I'm not saying how to do it nor am I saying you should do it. It is an option that everyone is aware of and I am merely raising it as a factor in the discussion.
(2010-07-05, 12:03 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]it's not like your going to get caught if your just using it for a hosting company.

This is coming from you (Its not like your going to get caught by doing it) Huh

(2010-07-05, 12:24 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not saying how to do it nor am I saying you should do it.

This is coming from you (Its not like your going to get caught by doing it) Huh
(2010-07-05, 12:19 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-05, 12:17 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]There arent any, we've been telling you this for the last 24 pages

No, that is simply a few sites TOS. Im quite sure you could find a registrar with no such restrictions. The only reason they have that is so that you, not them are liable if you purchase a domain that has trademarks issues. 1and1.com is not the law, godaddy.com is not the law netfirms.ca is not the law.

There are no physical restrictions stopping a 12 year old owning a domain. You simply need to be over 18 to physically purchase it (also because only over 18's can attain credit cards, which is not necessarily true (prepaid mastercards for example))
(2010-07-05, 12:03 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-04, 04:37 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Thus why i said Credit card and not the other 2. And yes you can easily verify which they are using. Point is this sort of thing can be easily enforced if they wanted to. Smile
From the receivers end neither prepaid or debit visa cards are any different from a regular credit card. I still hit credit when I use my Debit card and it still goes through the Visa network. I know underage people have bought from online bottle shops because they the site thought using credit cards was a reliable way of determining age as well.

(2010-07-04, 04:44 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]It is a binding contract and thus why 18..

Theoretically debit cards are 18 but banks don't seem to care and I know multiple people from different banks (here in Australia at least) who have just used the online application and the bank never bothered to check their age. They don't care because the customer is using their own money any way so it's no risk to them. Plus you can get a debit card with your parents authorization when your under 18 any way. (this is the way it is here at least but we represent a significant volume of people and any policies need to be applicable to all your customers)

Ahh and there is the thing. Again things do not work the same here in the USA as they do in Australia. Smile Most machines here ask you to choose Credit or debit and anyplace i have used one as a customer or taken one for business will tell you whether it is debit or credit. Ofcourse there is exceptions but that is on the business who takes them. Some places wont accept debit cards and thus why. And yes i know you can get one with your parents authorization ( already stated this Wink ) BUT they become the ones responsible should something happen. SmileYou can even get a credit card IF they sign for it. Again the idea is so it is a adult who can assume full responsibility if something ever happens. A minor cant do that because of the binding contract law. If some company was to let a minor get one and ANYTHING happened ( minor did not pay up/owed/etc ) the company would be left holding the bag. And there is zero they can do because the minor is protected under that law. The company is at fault for going into a binding contract with a minor. Now if the minor was to LIE to get that credit card then they would be the ones in trouble and with the law ( criminal ) as well for lying. And this i have seen happen to a few.
(2010-07-05, 12:31 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-05, 12:19 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]

No, that is simply a few sites TOS. Im quite sure you could find a registrar with no such restrictions. The only reason they have that is so that you, not them are liable if you purchase a domain that has trademarks issues. 1and1.com is not the law, godaddy.com is not the law netfirms.ca is not the law.

There are no physical restrictions stopping a 12 year old owning a domain. You simply need to be over 18 to physically purchase it (also because only over 18's can attain credit cards, which is not necessarily true (prepaid mastercards for example))

They are NOT the same. And as mentioned above they can tell the difference IF they really want to. Go to most any store ( using mordern equipment ) in the USA and trying putting in that it is a credit card when it is a debit card instead and see what happens.

Point blank you have to be 18+ in the USA to go into a binding contract which is what a credit card IS. You can ofcourse have your parents ( adult guardian over 18 ) sign for one for you but again they become the responsible ones if something happens.
Actually they pretty much are the same now Harry. I'm in the US and I use my debit card as a credit card all the time without issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25