MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the legal age owning a domain/website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Age at which a person can enter into binding contracts or agree to other legal acts without the consent of another adult. In all states/provinces the legal age, also called the age of majority, is 18 years old.

What is the legal age to open a bank account in most states/provinces? Under law, a minor is someone under the age of 18. This person cannot enter a binding contract.

I opened an account at RBC alone, last week. Weird. Rolleyes
But why do you need to sign a legally binding contract to own a domain? Do you need to be 18 to buy a loaf of bread? I think not
(2010-07-05, 04:58 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]But why do you need to sign a legally binding contract to own a domain?
Legal reasons, you have to agree to a certain set of terms and conditions pertaining to the law!
There is a difference between agreeing and signing a contract. You don't even always have to agree to any TOS
(2010-07-05, 04:11 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]What is the legal age to open a bank account in most states/provinces? Under law, a minor is someone under the age of 18. This person cannot enter a binding contract.

Depends if it's an Under 18 Bank Account.

Anyway think about it. Places like Club Penguin and Runescape are gaming sites designed for kids yet you still have to agree to the TOS. Runescape is a little older and you should be 13 (unless you have parental permission) to play it but regardless you don't have to be 18.
The only issue i can see here is the fact domains show personal details of the owners such as address and phone number. A lot of sites with minors keep details private or do not take the details in the first place.

A lot of age restrictions are to keep children safe on the internet but there are hardly any restrictions stopping an adult to view a minors profile or to contact them.
I think this thread has gone far enough now.

The reason for this thread being made wasn't as clear as we all thought it to be. technoman, for whatever motives he had, was simply trying to collect data on who owned a domain/website while being under the 'legal age' - whatever that may be considered as by him. He then told a few of the staff members that he would report these members to the appropriate people.

We're not here to stop him from doing this - but we don't have to stand by and let our members fall into his 'trap' either. This is our community, not yours, technoman. So I ask that you please do not attempt to PM staff and have this thread reopened. Consider yourself warned.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25