MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the legal age owning a domain/website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(2010-07-02, 02:05 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-02, 01:49 AM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]Now, where is it law that children/teens cannot be webmasters?

Not an easy Answer, I guess it all depends on which Country you are in, and which State or Province you are in that Country. Some Counties laws change from State to Province to City.

This is a REAL problem we have been facing for so many years on the Internet. If anything this is just the begining of awareness if you want the truth. The local law courts would have up to date information on this.
(2010-07-02, 01:59 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]We could make like a whole series of stuff techno has said. Post it on 4chan or funnyjunk.

By all means copy anything on this forum, and since I did not give you any permission you cant, if you do I will have you shut down!

Yea because 4chan listens to authority. This is golden.
(2010-07-04, 03:44 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]1and1.com

13. IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION
Customers must be at least 18 years of ageor require the approval of the minor's legal guardian.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/TcRoots...TCpfix142a
godaddy.com

2. ELIGIBILITY; AUTHORITY

By using this Site or the Services eighteen (18) years of age and/or otherwise recognized as being able to form legally binding contracts under applicable law.

http://www.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDo...ageid=UTOS

netfirms.ca

29. INFANCY
YOU attest that YOU are of legal age to enter into this Agreement.

http://www.netfirms.ca/legal/domainterms.php
technoman

You started this thread asking a question; What is the legal age owning a domain/website? We have all answered the question numerous time but you chose not to listen - why do you ask it in the first place?
(2010-07-04, 05:13 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-04, 03:44 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]1and1.com

13. IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION
Customers must be at least 18 years of ageor require the approval of the minor's legal guardian.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/TcRoots...TCpfix142a
godaddy.com

2. ELIGIBILITY; AUTHORITY

By using this Site or the Services eighteen (18) years of age and/or otherwise recognized as being able to form legally binding contracts under applicable law.

http://www.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDo...ageid=UTOS

netfirms.ca

29. INFANCY
YOU attest that YOU are of legal age to enter into this Agreement.

http://www.netfirms.ca/legal/domainterms.php

Is goddady the LAW? NO! Thats just their policy, my host knows I am 14, he knew I was 13 when I started buying hosting from him. He had no problem with that, so why don't you put that agreement up there?

(2010-07-04, 11:34 AM)Tweep Cat Wrote: [ -> ]technoman

You started this thread asking a question; What is the legal age owning a domain/website? We have all answered the question numerous time but you chose not to listen - why do you ask it in the first place?

Tweep Cat has a point, you asked the question, there is no law about underage kids starting a website, yet you keep up this silly game. I don't understand.
To my understanding the only restrictions about age are imposed contractually by a company. This means that if you breach this you are not breaking the "law", rather you are breaking a contract but this can leave you liable for civil court action. The only reason though that hosts and registrars have these clauses is to protect their right to sue because in most countries minors can't legally be bound by a contract.

In reality though hosts are unlikely to enforce this strictly any way for several reasons:
  • It is difficult for a company to verify someones age conclusively, even if someone publishes what they state is their age on the internet they it's almost impossible for the host to definitively prove the connection to their customers account (without details such as IP) so they would be leaving themselves liable for a law suit for not holding up their end of the contact if they were wrong.
  • They are losing their own customers
  • It's unlikely there will ever be the need to sue a customer because if the customer violates their contract the consequence is simply to withdraw their service

The bottom line is in reality there is no minimum age and it's more-or-less a waste of time trying to police it. IMO this an excellent thing because I think the ability to experiment and learn about these things and the web is a great opportunity which should be open to anyone who is willing to learn, regardless of age.
(2010-07-04, 02:49 PM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]To my understanding the only restrictions about age are imposed contractually by a company. This means that if you breach this you are not breaking the "law", rather you are breaking a contract but this can leave you liable for civil court action. The only reason though that hosts and registrars have these clauses is to protect their right to sue because in most countries minors can't legally be bound by a contract.

In reality though hosts are unlikely to enforce this strictly any way for several reasons:
  • It is difficult for a company to verify someones age conclusively, even if someone publishes what they state is their age on the internet they it's almost impossible for the host to definitively prove the connection to their customers account (without details such as IP) so they would be leaving themselves liable for a law suit for not holding up their end of the contact if they were wrong.
  • They are losing their own customers
  • It's unlikely there will ever be the need to sue a customer because if the customer violates their contract the consequence is simply to withdraw their service

The bottom line is in reality there is no minimum age and it's more-or-less a waste of time trying to police it. IMO this an excellent thing because I think the ability to experiment and learn about these things and the web is a great opportunity which should be open to anyone who is willing to learn, regardless of age.

Not saying how it would affect business but..

They could very easily verify that someone is a adult by doing what alot of adult websites do and thus making all use a credit card. Which is 18 in this country unless the parents add the minor BUT then the parents become the responsible ones.
(2010-07-04, 04:09 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]They could very easily verify that someone is a adult by doing what alot of adult websites do and thus making all use a credit card. Which is 18 in this country unless the parents add the minor BUT then the parents become the responsible ones.

A number of my under-age friends use prepaid and debit visa cards to buy things online so this wouldn't guarantee anything. Likewise they could ask that you send in a scan of your drivers licence but it's not difficult to change numbers in photoshop.
Yeah but I'd be quite worried if community forums started asking for credit card details just to register :p
(2010-07-04, 04:16 PM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]A number of my under-age friends use prepaid and debit visa cards to buy things online so this wouldn't guarantee anything. Likewise they could ask that you send in a scan of your drivers licence but it's not difficult to change numbers in photoshop.

Thus why i said Credit card and not the other 2. And yes you can easily verify which they are using. Point is this sort of thing can be easily enforced if they wanted to. Smile

(2010-07-04, 04:17 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but I'd be quite worried if community forums started asking for credit card details just to register :p

They better have a good reason because the chances are high i would not register at such a site. I suppose if it is adult oriented i can see it.

I actually know of a couple sites who do this exact thing however they are adult oriented sites. Toungue Have even seen some sites that don't allow men or vice versa.
In the US you can have a credit card when your 16, and you can also buy those Visa giftcard ones.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25