MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the legal age owning a domain/website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
(2010-06-28, 09:01 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 08:05 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways let's not go off topic otherwise I will have to close or clean the thread.
Please do NOT turn off this thread as Im here and Im trying to get answers and comments from "Adults" and "Parents" and from here us Adults can slowly remove any of the infections that have occured here and abroad...
I am not sure if you will get any parent responses as I highly doubt they are trolling the MyBB Community right now. I don't want to sound rude or offend you but I think you are being very naive thing that parents monitor every single thing their kids do online. I don't think their is any adult on the MyBB Community that has a child that's also is active on the MyBB Community.

I am positive that at least 90% of the parents have no idea what their kids do online and the other 10% knows a little. My parents know I develop and design but they don't know that I am part of a group called MyBB or release themes for the public and they don't have to know that as they don't have to know that. The main problem is that my parents are from another generation where they didn't had the internet. They can't even imagine the things we do today online. Of course this will be different when I am a parent one day as I got experience with the Internet when I was a child. I been on the Internet since 2000 with Windows 94, Dial-up, and I remember when my dad bought Windows XP. Playing Age of Empires II online Smile. I was 6 at the time.
(2010-06-28, 09:11 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Policing the internet will never happen. In the UK, virgin (i think) tried to put scanners on their ISP servers to check for illegal file downloading. OFCOM put a stop to that because of privacy issues. International laws contravene so many new laws, making regulating worldwide communications a court nightmare!

You've got a few stories muddled up there, Tommy. The system is actually still in operation for customers of TalkTalk, Sky, Virgin, BT and other such big ISPs bar those using wholesalers and slightly smaller carriers such as O2/BE.

What happens is the BPI submits a list of IPs they have captured downloading copyrighted content through P2P networks to the ISPs who are responsible for them. Under the data protection act, unless a waiver is granted the BPI cannot create a case, so what happens is the ISP then mails a warning to their customer about their actions. If they choose to proceed, then obviously court action could be possible.

Another incident was when a Swiss company began logging IPs on behalf of record and game developer labels. They submitted these IPs to a law firm called Davenport Lyons, a relatively reputable company, who then went to court with ISPs and were granted a waiver of the DPA. At that point, they were supplied with a match of the IPs and customer details at the time of violation, and they mailed thousands of so-called offenders asking that they pay sums of money or face court.

Many individuals did face court, but the issue here was that the waiver only resulted in the CUSTOMER'S details being passed over. If someone else in a family or outside a family could connect to their connection (e.g. a child, or a stranger over unencrypted/cracked WiFi) and downloaded something, they could not necessarily be caught, and so the people they contacted were not necessarily the offenders - thus the scandal.
(2010-06-28, 08:05 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways let's not go off topic otherwise I will have to close or clean the thread.
Please do NOT turn off this thread as Im here and Im trying to get answers and comments from "Adults" and "Parents" and from here us Adults can slowly remove any of the infections that have occured here and abroad...

What do you mean by infections? Huh With this if it is what i think it is you are being a little harsh? Go easy.. Smile Personally i think it is great to see so many young people using their minds and being creative. Nothing wrong with that. Sure they could probably use a little more time in the real world BUT if it were my own child and the choice was real world-breaking the law etc vs doing something creative as these guys here do you better believe i would rather them be here. Sure a few could use some lessons on how to interact with others but i doubt attacking them will help do that. Not sure that is what you intended but it could be easily viewed that way.

(2010-06-28, 09:18 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
I am not sure if you will get any parent responses as I highly doubt they are trolling the MyBB Community right now. I don't want to sound rude or offend you but I think you are being very naive thing that parents monitor every single thing their kids do online. I don't think their is any adult on the MyBB Community that has a child that's also is active on the MyBB Community.

I am positive that at least 90% of the parents have no idea what their kids do online and the other 10% knows a little. My parents know I develop and design but they don't know that I am part of a group called MyBB or release themes for the public and they don't have to know that as they don't have to know that. The main problem is that my parents are from another generation where they didn't had the internet. They can't even imagine the things we do today online. Of course this will be different when I am a parent one day as I got experience with the Internet when I was a child. I been on the Internet since 2000 with Windows 94, Dial-up, and I remember when my dad bought Windows XP. Playing Age of Empires II online Smile. I was 6 at the time.

I am a parent but no my children does not browse this forum. Toungue I however do know what exactly they are doing online. Better believe i do. They are not on that often though except to play games and check email/FB etc from family and friends.

On a related note I think you are being very naive as well. Not trying to be rude but you are assuming all parents are like your own.

Lastly.. The laws in this country ( USA ) concerning children/binding contracts etc are ALOT different then Australia. Make no mistakes about that. A binding contract here is one that is written with name attached to it. Anything done verbally is not enforceable in a court of law in this country. In Australia i believe it is different. Why as mentioned before Child artisit/musicians/etc have a adult ( Parent/legal guardian/adult basically ) handle their contracts/copyrights etc till the person becomes a adult. This applies online and offline. Personally i think they are a little dated for some of this stuff.
Sorry to probably derail the topic here but I really agree with Harry in this thread Big Grin.(Now that I think about it wording it like that doesn't really derail the topic.)
Alright, final warning, keep it on topic.

(2010-06-28, 09:18 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]My parents know I develop and design but they don't know that I am part of a group called MyBB or release themes for the public and they don't have to know that as they don't have to know that. The main problem is that my parents are from another generation where they didn't had the internet. They can't even imagine the things we do today online.
Same thing here, My parents know about MyBB, they don't know I am aboard the team and they do not know I own my own webhost etc, because they don't need to know nor do they even want to know.

My parents trust me not to disclose any information about myself.

All my parents do it look on facebook, that it, they are not interested in what I do.

--Conor
Infections was in relation to infected/influenced.

We each have our individual abilities and gifts, as parents or adults and we all therefore expect to up bring our children the right way with a bundle of rules with set laws... but then there are those unfortunelty that dont have those types of parents to correct there children and leads to where they can easliy be infected/influenced by others in wrong doings...
After looking there is no legal set age, past Coppa, which doesn't apply or protect all countries and situations. You can own a site at 13 legally. Past that you have to have someone elses name.
UNDER 18
The United Nations Convention Rights of a Child under 18 applies to the child and the Parent.

A. Parents can be sued on all contracts that there children make [Parental Responsibility Act and Accountability Act]

B. Parents can be sued for damages caused by the child if they failed to reasonably supervise and control the child
[Parental Responsibility Act and Accountability Act]
(2010-06-29, 12:57 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]UNDER 18
The United Nations Convention Rights of a Child under 18 applies to the child and the Parent.

A. Parents can be sued on all contracts for necessities that there children make [Parental Responsibility Act and Accountability Act]

B. Parents can be sued for damages caused by the child if they failed to reasonably supervise and control the child
[Parental Responsibility Act and Accountability Act]

Your problem being? I don't see the issue here as the bulk of kids out there today act maturely on the internet, hardly necessitating such action.
(2010-06-29, 12:39 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]After looking there is no legal set age, past Coppa, which doesn't apply or protect all countries and situations. You can own a site at 13 legally. Past that you have to have someone elses name.

Sure you can BUT here in the USA whoever issued the contract to a minor ( 18-21 It varies by state ) would be on the wrong end of the law should it ever get to that and thus court. As would the minor if it involved copyrights. Once in court the contract/copyrights would be void because the minor is not allowed to get into a binding contract.

Examples.
1. Say my 15 yr old got a site, registered the domain etc. Now if i wanted to i could legally go and take that domain name/copyright and that is because the contract with the 15yr old is void because they are a minor.
2. Say my 15 yr old got the site etc but in this case broke the law. In this example BOTH the registrar ( for signing a contract with a minor to begin with ) and minor ( depending on what the crime is ) would be held responsible.
3. Say my 15yr old had me/adult do it for them TILL they become a adult. All is protected as far as copyrights etc go. However if they ( my child ) were to break the law then i and my child could be in trouble.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25