MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 3.1.19
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-03-17, 10:17 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]You can disable side boxes from a specific page in many ways. You can disable that script in ACP -> Configuration -> Advanced Sidebox [tab] Manage Scripts [subtab] Show Thread (Deactivate) or Edit the side boxes and set page permissions appropriately.

I took a look at that theme and the issue is that it needs an edit in the script definition.

Go to ACP -> Configuration -> Advanced Sidebox [tab] Manage Scripts [subtab] Show Thread and change the Header Search Text from {$ratethread} to <div id="posts_container"> and it should work fine:

Replacing ratethread with <div id="posts_container"> worked like a charm, my posts now display as intended. Thanks for looking into that for me Smile

I'm getting "MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue." when I try to deactivate any of the scripts. 
Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks!
(2019-03-17, 09:49 PM)Cyanide_ Wrote: [ -> ]Replacing ratethread with <div id="posts_container"> worked like a charm, my posts now display as intended. Thanks for looking into that for me Smile

You're welcome. Smile

(2019-03-17, 09:49 PM)Cyanide_ Wrote: [ -> ]I'm getting "MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue." when I try to deactivate any of the scripts. 
Any ideas what could be causing this?

Post or PM a screen shot of the entire error message and I will try to figure it out.
(2019-03-15, 10:40 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-15, 08:55 PM)Trach Duong Wrote: [ -> ]How to split the article and sidebox?

From the picture, it looks like you have issues that might be solved by editing header search text in the Show Thread script definition.

To answer your question, you can add some style to the side box columns by altering the templates. asb_sidebox_column looks like this by default:

<td style="width: {$width}px;{$show_column}" id="{$column_id}" valign="top">
 {$sideboxes}
 {$content_pad}
 </td>

You can add some margin either by assigning the columns a class and adding rules in global.php, or you add a style property to the <td/> element.

<td style="margin: 8px; width: {$width}px;{$show_column}" id="{$column_id}" valign="top">
 {$sideboxes}
 {$content_pad}
 </td>

(2019-03-16, 11:06 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-16, 09:03 PM)progward Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm having problems with the width viewing my forum with a mobile. It would be very helpful, if you could not only set the width in pixels, but also in %. That would solve my problem instantly. Big Grin

I was just having a conversation about this earlier with a friend. That is something I'm going to try to get done this weekend. DrXotick has experienced some issues with the way side boxes display on mobile and I plan to make a couple of changes to help with that.

(2019-03-16, 09:03 PM)progward Wrote: [ -> ]Or is there a way to do this already?

Currently, not really. IF your columns are all the same width, you edit asb_sidebox_column and change the width to a percentage manually.

Dual sidebars in index on phone

I've had it this way for years, but after updating the plugin had some issues.

After a simply massive amount of troubleshooting (nevermind, i needed to take my mind off things anyway) I have mostly solved the issue...  

1.   the main culprit is {$content_pad} in asb_sidebox_column. In your mobile theme, remove {$content_pad} from asb_sidebox_column  
  2. Next, also in asb_sidebox_column set the width to 50%. The main thing is you don't want them too small, too big a % is fine here as they should auto-resize to fit the page. but if too small a % you will get a not so nice looking white space between the sidebars. 
    <td style="width:50%;{$show_column}" id="{$column_id}" valign="top">
    				{$sideboxes}
    			</td>
  3. create custom footer search points ---- Admin panel > Configuration > Advanced side box > Manage scripts > Index > footer search.  Replace {$footer} with something else....I used {$sideboxend}. This is necessary because otherwise the forum index will be injected into the middle of the sidebars. 
  4. Go into the index template of the mobile theme and place the text {$sideboxend} before {$forums}

Side note, for me, aggravating the issue were forum descriptions which contained images which forced width changes on lower res devices, and, to a lesser extent, Google auto ads on lower resolution devices was inserting ads into the header of forum parents.

remaining issue: A separate theme for PC should be used, unless you want massive sidebars taking up the screen, or little sidebars with nothing in the middle. I have always used a separate theme for PC, so this is not a problem for me.  if there were some setting in the plugin which allowed different start and end points for desktop & mobile, this issue could be resolved for users using a single theme for both desktop and mobile. not sure how practical this is for Wildcard to implement.

remaining issue: who's online has the avatars popping out beyond the box on phones, it doesn't look good. i switched to not showing the avatars. maybe there's some way to force the avatars to fit in the box responsively, but i'm all done for now.

anyone who wants to check it out: https://www.chinaphonearena.com  on your phone or tablet
(2019-03-18, 10:27 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Dual sidebars in index on phone

[...]

remaining issue: A separate theme for PC should be used, unless you want massive sidebars taking up the screen, or little sidebars with nothing in the middle. I have always used a separate theme for PC, so this is not a problem for me.  if there were some setting in the plugin which allowed different start and end points for desktop & mobile, this issue could be resolved for users using a single theme for both desktop and mobile. not sure how practical this is for Wildcard to implement.

[...]

remaining issue: who's online has the avatars popping out beyond the box on phones, it doesn't look good. i switched to not showing the avatars. maybe there's some way to force the avatars to fit in the box responsively, but i'm all done for now.

First of all, thanks both for your patience, and for sharing what you've learned here.

I know I've been quiet, but I have been working since we last talked, looking for ways to solve your issues. I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to do a major overhaul of ASB.

I have decided to postpone the features I have marked for 4.0 (moved to 5.0) and make 4.0 a responsive update for ASB.

My plan is make a lot of big changes to the modules, the module templates, and the script definitions. Also, I think DrXotick has a great point that we may need to consider adding dedicated mobile templates both for ASB and its modules.

Also, I think it might help if script definitions were customizable per theme, so I'm thinking of doing an inheritance-based system similar to how MyBB handles style sheets/templates.

But mainly, the big change will be to allow side box columns to be set to percentage widths...I hope that in the end, we can use any valid CSS width notation (%, px, em, etc.) to size columns. That, and replacing tables with divs should go a long way to helping those of us who are using responsive layouts.

My concern is that it may break for older themes with table layouts, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Please give any feedback concerning this. I am probably going to make this an uninstall and reinstall update so I can clear some of the baggage.

For those waiting on the promised features for 4.0, sorry, but I think in the nonce, the best thing I could do is make ASB a responsive plugin.

Thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will likely introduce a style sheet for ASB so that side boxes can be customized more easily on a per theme basis.
For me, everything is great now other than the avatars spilling out of the box, but that could be an easy css fix, I'm not sure. Regardless, text usernames not a big deal for me.

Users with only a single theme may feel otherwise though, which is why I mentioned possibly adding optional seperate header/footer search depending on device. Eg, @device mobile search for {$mobilebegin}, @device PC search for {$PCbegin}.

Anyways, I'm all good for now, but whatever you think is best is probably best in terms of reasonable use flexibility ratio against the amount of effort you put into the plugin... Maybe the changes you propose would also get ASB primed for MyBB 1.9 responsive.? Regardless, thanks for all your hard work... I donated a long way back and hope other users will do. A really incredible plug-in that can completely transform a site.
(2019-03-18, 04:57 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the changes you propose would also get ASB primed for MyBB 1.9 responsive.?

That's what I'm thinking.

It has to happen eventually. Up until now, I was thinking that I HAD to have tables, but over the weekend I spent some time ripping things out and replacing them and it is more than possible to have side boxes that are responsive.

As to the who's online module, I modified that module over the weekend to use inline-block divs rather than standard table rows, and after a little persuasion, I was able to make the side box completely responsive (from < 40px to > 1,000px) without overflowing the side box at all.

A lot of things I listed in my last post will require a lot of thought and planning, so I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but I will put this into rotation with my other projects.

Thanks for all your input, DrXotick. I appreciate your support. So glad you got things working for you.
I can't remember how to change excerpt length for subjects in latest threads boxes... Jog my memory? Have Googled but nothing conclusive
It's in the module settings:

[Image: HVN1wXm.png]
Damn. That was easy. I was searching template and php edits 😂
(2019-03-24, 06:10 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Damn. That was easy. I was searching template and php edits 😂

Don't feel bad. ASB has become quite complicated. Confused