MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why this plugin and not mybb seo plugin?
(2010-02-01, 03:52 PM)SpeedyGonzalesFan Wrote: [ -> ]Why this plugin and not mybb seo plugin?

MyBB SEO hasn't been updated in a long time. Plus, this one is a lot more customizable than the former.
^ yup you right. since i using this plugin, i saw many page already indexed by google.
I have a question about the url when using google seo plugin.

I have www.allebabynamen.nl/forum/f-polls. First: how do I get rid of the bold characters (f-). Because without this the seo urls seems not to work properly. Second: Under this forum I (or visitors) can do postings. For example i have the post www.allebabynamen.nl/forum/weet-je-de-betekenis-van-je-eigen-naam. As you can see i'm 'missing' the forum string. I want the bold strings (forum name and if possible the post id) also in the (following) url: www.allebabynamen.nl/forum/polls/id-weet-je-de-betekenis-van-je-eigen-naam.

How can I do this? Please can someone help me.
Suggestion for plugin (hope you don't mind.)

When using the dynamic meta description tags, people with a meta description in headerinclude will have double meta descriptions (google tools complain about it.) on threads.

It would be nice to have a separate meta description option for forumdisplay.
@ratje,
Google SEO doesn't support a virtual directory structure, and you need something in the URL to distinguish from other URLs, otherwise you'll end up with conflicts. Some people remove the prefix anyway and move the rewrite rule that then matches *everything* to the end of their .htaccess and are careful not to name their forums to be confused with another URL type. However I don't recommend that, sooner or later such a solution will break your neck, since you're still working with conflicts then.

@Disturbed,
I can't detect whether there already is a description in the output. There are too many possibilities to do that. If it's about a manually added meta description in headerinclude:

Despite some suggestions you can find on this forum, meta descriptions do not go into headerinclude. Putting it there will give you one and the same description on all your pages, but what Google wants is a unique, different one for every single page.

If you want a meta description on some pages, for example the index, portal, add it to the index and portal template, not to headerinclude. Then your own custom static description will be only on index, and another will only be on portal, etc.

For a meta description on forumdisplay.php, set a description for the forum in the admin cp, and Google SEO will use that. If you don't want the forum descriptions to show up for users in the index, remove it from the template, then users won't see it but Google SEO will still use it for the meta tag anyways.
(2010-02-07, 09:52 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@ratje,
Google SEO doesn't support a virtual directory structure, and you need something in the URL to distinguish from other URLs, otherwise you'll end up with conflicts. Some people remove the prefix anyway and move the rewrite rule that then matches *everything* to the end of their .htaccess and are careful not to name their forums to be confused with another URL type. However I don't recommend that, sooner or later such a solution will break your neck, since you're still working with conflicts then.

@Disturbed,
I can't detect whether there already is a description in the output. There are too many possibilities to do that. If it's about a manually added meta description in headerinclude:

Despite some suggestions you can find on this forum, meta descriptions do not go into headerinclude. Putting it there will give you one and the same description on all your pages, but what Google wants is a unique, different one for every single page.

If you want a meta description on some pages, for example the index, portal, add it to the index and portal template, not to headerinclude. Then your own custom static description will be only on index, and another will only be on portal, etc.

For a meta description on forumdisplay.php, set a description for the forum in the admin cp, and Google SEO will use that. If you don't want the forum descriptions to show up for users in the index, remove it from the template, then users won't see it but Google SEO will still use it for the meta tag anyways.

I had a meta description added before i installed your plugin, so i had indeed the double description :aargh: lol

Thanks for the tip about forum description! Now i know why it didn't show a meta description for that.. Didn't even think of descriptions on my portal. Different description will help you think (SEO wise) ?
Google Webmaster Tools even lists pages with duplicate descriptions for you so you can go and fix / improve them...
ok i have had this plug-in for around 2 years
http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1657.html
does this above plug-in have to be disabled in order for your SEO plug-in to work correctly?
You can disable the Google SEO Meta description feature if you want it to be done by another plugin. You should not have two plugins adding the same meta tags to the same page.