MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm still using 1.1.0. Any special steps I need to go through to upgrade?
@livefooty,
Sounds like you have MyBB Search Engine Friendly URLs enabled (the thread-123.html like here), but you don't have the rewrite rules that go with it in your .htaccess. So you either have to add those rewrite rules, or disable MyBB SEF.

The actual problem here is that Google SEO still doesn't replace the multipage() links (the previous 1 2 3 4 next links above and below every forum thread), or rather that multipage() doesn't use the get_forum/thread_link() functions that Google SEO hooks into. So the page links still use the old URLs and then are redirected to the new URLs.

Seems like I'll have to modify multipage() too somehow in order to finally fix this issue...

@Bey Brad,
No special steps - deactivate plugin, upload the new files, activate plugin. Then you can check the configuration for new options that you may want to change...
(2009-06-18, 08:03 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@livefooty,
Sounds like you have MyBB Search Engine Friendly URLs enabled (the thread-123.html like here), but you don't have the rewrite rules that go with it in your .htaccess. So you either have to add those rewrite rules, or disable MyBB SEF.

The actual problem here is that Google SEO still doesn't replace the multipage() links (the previous 1 2 3 4 next links above and below every forum thread), or rather that multipage() doesn't use the get_forum/thread_link() functions that Google SEO hooks into. So the page links still use the old URLs and then are redirected to the new URLs.

Seems like I'll have to modify multipage() too somehow in order to finally fix this issue...

@Bey Brad,
No special steps - deactivate plugin, upload the new files, activate plugin. Then you can check the configuration for new options that you may want to change...

How can I disable MyBB SEF ? or can you tell me what should I add to .htaccses?

EDIT : I found it. but now the url looks like :
Thread-xxx?page=122&google_seo_redirect=debug

It is ok the "google_seo_redirect=debug" thing ?
Thank you !
google_seo_redirect=debug is something only the board admin sees, and you can disable the redirect debugger in the configuration. If you have trouble with redirects (infinite redirection loop) you can enable the debugger setting to get some output that may help identifying the problem.
Google SEO 1.1.4 now supports replacing the multipage() links for forums and threads with Google SEO URLs. For this to work, another modification to inc/functions.php is required. The included functions.php*-googleseo files already include this modification.

Quoted from the readme:

Find:
       function multipage($count, $perpage, $page, $url)
       {

Replace with:
       function multipage($count, $perpage, $page, $url)
       {
           if(function_exists("google_seo_url_multipage"))
           {
               $newurl = google_seo_url_multipage($url);

if($newurl)
               {
                   $url = $newurl;
               }
           }
I Have a Suggestion, you can include a feature as rel="nofollow", this will be great for the SEO.
Well, the nofollow thing is a tough choice. If you read the Google documentation regarding it here http://www.google.com/support/webmasters...swer=96569 it lists three possible use cases for nofollow: Untrusted content, Paid links, and Crawl prioritization.

Frankly, I don't care about the first two. If you have untrusted content / paid links, that's your problem. I believe there already is a separate nofollow plugin that takes care of those.

That leaves crawl prioritization, however this is regarded to be of very little relevance, as that page itself says "However, a solid information architecture — intuitive navigation, user- and search-engine-friendly URLs, and so on — is likely to be a far more productive use of resources than focusing on crawl prioritization via nofollowed links"

It's not easy to do nofollow for specific links either. A lot of this has to be done in various templates, for example the login / register links. Since it's in templates, this is something you can do yourself, rather than using a plugin for it - same goes for better title tags actually. Others require code modification, or messing with the whole output of a page, both solutions I don't particularly care for.

The biggest problem about nofollow is, if someone copy&pastes a link somewhere, this link is not nofollow, and therefore it will be followed after all - so if you really want to keep google out of somewhere on your own page, nofollow will never be sufficient - you're much better off by specifying some robots.txt rules.

So suffice to say, nofollow is a very very very low priority for this plugin right now.
I got a question. Where can i download this mod? Link from first post doesn't work. In Mods & Plugins I couldn't find it.
You can download it from the mods page as soon as it's validated (I just updated and unfortunately revalidation is required every time I upload a new file).
Approved; just so you know, the validation list is checked quite regularly and we get emails about new submissions now so they should get approved quite quickly after being submitted... I've also just PMd Alan to get the message changed when you follow a link to a plugin awaiting validation, right now it says that the download is invalid when it's awaiting re-validation which is a bit confusing.
As always, thanks. Smile