MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2009-04-26, 07:57 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I got a PM asking me wether this plugin would work in a large board.
My board:
10234 messages
2833 threads
6870 members

When I started using Google SEO we had between 1500 and 1750 unique daily visitors. Right now we only have around 500 daily visitors, but that's not related to Google SEO. Didn't notice any performance issues.
http://www.forumsuzca.com

19,337 thread 40,006 message
46,261 mem

and my board uses about 50-55 queries for index page its not a big deal (i can remember seo was used about 450+ queries for index on beta 0.4 lol) so i can handle 50-55 =)

anyway i accualy came for asking something else, can we make different Thread URL schemes to different catagories? for exm if thread on movies cat it will be like thread-{$url}-movie and meanwhile other thread from music cat is will be like thread-{$url}-song is it possible ? i think it have to be possible =)
(2009-04-27, 12:27 AM)dared Wrote: [ -> ]and my board uses about 50-55 queries for index page its not a big deal (i can remember seo was used about 450+ queries for index on beta 0.4 lol) so i can handle 50-55 =)

It's only 14 queries for the index page on my forums, but you seem to have a couple of other addons installed, they may cause additional queries. Apart from the number of queries, each single query is also much faster than it was during the beta because the database structure was optimized as well.

Quote:anyway i accualy came for asking something else, can we make different Thread URL schemes to different catagories?

Currently this is not possible, because at the time a thread URL is created, I don't know which forum this thread is in - I would have to query that. Then even if I know the forum id, I still don't know which category this forum is in - I'd have to query that too, and go up in your forum hierarchy until I find which category it is in - and only then I could decide wether or not to add something to the URL. And then you still have to be careful about not breaking URLs when a thread is moved from one forum, to another.

If more people start asking for such advanced features I guess I'll have to add some run_hook() calls to my plugin, so people can start writing plugins for Google SEO. Toungue But I think that's going a bit too far. What you're asking for would be expensive, and would require some effort to implement - it doesn't seem worth it.
(2009-04-27, 09:17 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]It's only 14 queries for the index page on my forums, but you seem to have a couple of other addons installed, they may cause additional queries. Apart from the number of queries, each single query is also much faster than it was during the beta because the database structure was optimized as well.
yeap i know i got differents plugin too and thats the reason, you know overview etc

Quote:Currently this is not possible, because at the time a thread URL is created, I don't know which forum this thread is in - I would have to query that. Then even if I know the forum id, I still don't know which category this forum is in - I'd have to query that too, and go up in your forum hierarchy until I find which category it is in - and only then I could decide wether or not to add something to the URL. And then you still have to be careful about not breaking URLs when a thread is moved from one forum, to another.

nevermind i tired while i m reading Toungue
I'm going to try this plugin on a couple new experimental Mybb forums I started, I'll let you know how it goes..
(2009-04-27, 10:28 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to try this plugin on a couple new experimental Mybb forums I started, I'll let you know how it goes..

who? me? frostschutz? me? who? Toungue

can u give us a clue?
found a little bug:
when i click on bots in acp i got his error message
Quote:/data/apache/users/host/domain/www/forum/inc/languages/Sprache/googleseo_settings.lang.php does not exist

yes all the language files are in my board lang folder too, the plugin misses the "Sprache" folder
@-=snAke=-,
1. this file should be placed in the /admin directory "under" the inc/language directory
2. look at this post and see if this solves your problem: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-464...#pid341735
I don't like the way the URL's are set up..

For every thread or forum, there is either the word "Forum" or "Thread" before the actual title of the forum and thread.

I tried to configure the .htaccess and options in the ACP to exclude "Forum" and "Thread" before the title/name in the url. However I was greeted with a lovely "Invalid forum" error when trying to do this.

The urls would be better if tidied up to use only the actual keywords and title of the forums, topics, and announcements.
Can you give some examples on how you want your URLs to look like for forums, threads, profiles etc.?

You can change the URL scheme, but your RewriteRules mustn't collide with other files and other rewrite rules. For example an URL like http://yoursite/MyBB/something (where something could be the name of a forum or thread or user or ...) won't work, because it can't be distinguished from other URLs and even from legit file or folder names (i.e. the rewrite rule would also match http://yoursite/MyBB/inc - which is the name of a folder used by MyBB).

So the standard URL scheme serves two purposes, one is that it prevents URL collisions, the other purpose is that the user can see easily wether the URL will point him to a thread or user profile or other. This is a necessary piece of information, that is also contained in the default URLs, and removing it would make the Google SEO URLs worse than the original ones.

The way Google SEO does its URLs by default, is what I consider the best option within the limits imposed by MyBB. I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve Google SEO, but I won't implement a solution that is prone to break existing URLs.