MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2010-05-23, 06:51 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-23, 06:30 PM)taxido Wrote: [ -> ]The subforums are CSS tweak.

Can you elaborate on this? They are more than a CSS tweak, the markup changed. Your subforums are a list with <ul>, with normal markup it's just <a>, <a>, <a> ...

So if it's not a plugin, it's at the very least a template change. And if that template contains something like <a href="forumdisplay.php?fid=$x"> then that will be your culprit.

Thank you thats help Smile
Okay. Well, I still can't actually repoduce your sitemap issue. I can see how it could be happening though. I'll get back to this later, for now the workaround should work. I've added it to the bug tracker so I won't forget it. Wink
can you add a setting for a default set of meta tags/description that the admin can provide in the Google SEO Meta config so that all pages have some meta description (portal, index, memberlist, etc) when there is not a meta description built from a forum/thread/post/user
Google SEO has a ton of settings already, I wonder if it's really a good idea to add more of them for things that can be done without plugins. If you want a meta description for portal / index, you can already do that without a plugin, by simply editing the portal / index template and placing the meta tags you want within <head> (above or below {$headerinclude}). It may not be as obvious or user friendly but it's the best solution available.
since you seem more of an expert on google seo than I am , does multiple meta descriptions impact seo results? your plugin is awesome, but it does not replace meta descriptions, only prepends them to the headerinclude template
How do you have multiple meta descriptions? If you use another plugin: Choose one or the other. If you added meta description to headerinclude: Don't, since Google prefers the meta description to be unique. It's better to have no meta description than the same one on every single page.

I could probably add settings to give more fine control over meta descriptions made by Google SEO (e.g. let it make descriptions for threads, but not for events if you have a better solution for those).
(2010-05-20, 12:12 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Ideally, the timestamp of the last post or last edit on a particular thread page should be used, since that's what actually the last change for a page is. However, it's expensive to determine the last post / edit / pagination, it would mean a lot of extra queries against the posts table for that, and if sitemap generation was that expensive it could not be dynamic anymore. So while implementing the sitemap I decided that putting that much effort and cost into 100% accurate timestamps simply wasn't worth the hassle.

So somewhere down this line I decided to keep things simple and ended up using dateline for threads, which is the date of the first post and never changes. Same for user profiles actually, it uses regdate, which also never changes.

Using lastpost instead is definitely possible (in fact it should be a trivial one line change in inc/plugins/google_seo/sitemap.php). Whether it's the better solution, I'm not 100% sure, as both methods are inaccurate. Take a thread with 100 pages for example... if you update the timestamp for every post that's made, you update the timestamp for 99 pages that do not have a significant change (as last posts get only appended at the end). And if a search engine revisits 99 pages because of an updated timestamp, and it doesn't find any significant change on those pages, and the timestamp still gets updated all the time despite this, it could be misunderstood as spamming by the search engine.

Then again, as you observed, forums already use lastpost so they have that timestamp noise already - mainly because forums only have lastpost in their table, there is no other timestamp indication, and touching another table for that would again mean more queries and more cost...

I'll see what I can do to improve this.

Thanks for such a detailed reply.

Then maybe it's better to not use lastmod tag at all as it is optional and does not represent the actual date of last modification. This may prevent Google bot to re-crawl the thread, which most likely will contain new useful content. I understand that Google bot is smart enough to not just relate on info found in sitemap files, but anyway.
Well, I bounced this question off to the Google Webmasters Support / Sitemap forum, you can read the discussion here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/We...4472&hl=en

However I didn't get a 100% answer there either.

I'll definitely change the current lastmod behaviour to something more useful, I just haven't settled on a good solution yet, mainly because all solutions available to me at this time have to make a compromise somewhere.

I also went over the indexed threads of my forum and haven't noticed any obvious ill effect from this. I assume that Google revisits the pages it has indexed no matter what, since I couldn't find anything in Google's cache that had replies missing (as one could assume would happen with the lastmod not updated properly).
Hi frostschutz! If i disable the character translation in the seo url settings, and i search for something in my forum, it shows up an error.
"the url is redirected".... or a similar message.

url example:
http://abcd.com/Thread-abcd?highlight=abcdef

If i delete the "highlight=abcdef" it works. What's the problem?

If i use the character translation, everything is okay, but then my server load goes to 10.0 or more... Sad
That's odd, character translation shouldn't be using _that_ much CPU.

Do you have a real URL?