MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The extra "-" is to distinct the thread number from the thread title. If there would only be one "-" there is no way to tell if it refers to a thread titled "test 3", or thread 3 titled "test".
@tecca, if google seo complains about that line, there is two possible reasons:

1) it's not the first rewrite rule in your .htaccess
2) you added some whitespace
3) google seo has a bug

if you believe 3), can you upload your .htaccess somewhere or mail it to me, so I can reproduce the issue?

Regarding the --, the documentation explains this in 'additional comments', 'uniquifier'. It's because a uniquified URL must be unique, it has to use both the ID, and a punctuation that can not occur in normal URLs. And by default this punctuation is to use the separator twice.

You can customize it, for example you could use _ instead of -- there.

For thread titles that are made of punctuation only it is even worse, you will ged Thread---3

Because Thread- is the prefix, and --3 is the uniquifier.

Originally I had an even more ugly uniquifier in mind which was -(3). I was kind of hoping that a user, if he notices that his thread was given such an ugly URL (probably because he gave it a not very descriptive title such as "help"), would consider renaming his thread to something useful...
(2009-03-31, 09:08 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@tecca, if google seo complains about that line, there is two possible reasons:

Just FYI, similar thing happened to me, I put it at the top of the file, worked fine.
The only issue I have after sing it several weeks now: The sitemap includes /index.php as the front page. I added a rewrite rule to .htaccess myself to redirect /index.php to / as this is more SEO friendly and it is how most external links to my site appear. Because of that /index.php appears as a redirection error on the sitemap section of the Google webmaster tools.
Perhaps you could make it part of Google SEO to rewrite the /index.php page?

Also hoping you will add support for the canonical links soon. I think it will perform much better than the robots.txt method. Surely it seems better to have the thousands of archive pages tell where their link juice should go to, instead of blocking the archive pages from spiders completely.
Check the Google SEO Sitemap settings, remove the index.php... I won't rewrite this in a plugin, since static rewrites such as this are much easier, and much better implemented with a simple rewrite rule in .htaccess.
Hah, ofcourse, forgot about that setting :/.
(2009-03-31, 09:08 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@tecca, if google seo complains about that line, there is two possible reasons:

2) you added some whitespace
3) google seo has a bug

if you believe 3), can you upload your .htaccess somewhere or mail it to me, so I can reproduce the issue?

Regarding the --, the documentation explains this in 'additional comments', 'uniquifier'. It's because a uniquified URL must be unique, it has to use both the ID, and a punctuation that can not occur in normal URLs. And by default this punctuation is to use the separator twice.

You can customize it, for example you could use _ instead of -- there.

For thread titles that are made of punctuation only it is even worse, you will ged Thread---3

Because Thread- is the prefix, and --3 is the uniquifier.

Originally I had an even more ugly uniquifier in mind which was -(3). I was kind of hoping that a user, if he notices that his thread was given such an ugly URL (probably because he gave it a not very descriptive title such as "help"), would consider renaming his thread to something useful...
Okay, thank you. It seems I didn't have it as my first rewrite rule (should have double checked).

Thanks for the explanation as well, I guess I completely missed that. Shy
Hello. I installed Google SEO 1.0.2 a while back. Already then in the who is online list some members apperared to view Error pages. I think these are no error pages but the "who is online"-function just shows Error-pages in the online list.

When i am in the "who is online"-list and press refresh sometimes it happens that Users are located in different Threads. For example:
USERxyz is viewing Thread "Nice day".
Then i press refresh
USERxyz is viewing Thread "Hot Chili".

Sometimes when i press refresh Users are located in Moderator-Forum Threads to which they should not have access. I know they do not have access, but other members also pressing Refresh in "Woho is online"-list can see by this way the headings of the Moderator-Forum Threads.

In hope of solution to my problems i upgraded to Google SEO 1.0.4. Unfortunately the "Error"-Problem in "Who is online list" stands.
I also did rewrote my .htaccess with the new rules given by Google SEO 1.0.4.

If i delete the old rewrite rule settings there are problems with old threads and the Overview-Plugin. So i leave the old rewrite rules settings and over them i wrote the new rule settings.
This is my actual .htaccess content

Quote:Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#
# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.
# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on
# MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server
# errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below
#
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.
SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

#
# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites
# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have
# the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file
# named .htaccess
#
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
# As first rewrite rule, Google SEO workaround for search.php highlights:
RewriteRule ^([^&]*)&(.*)$ http://www.PRIVACY.de/$1?$2 [L,QSA,R=301]
# Google SEO URL Forums:
RewriteRule ^Forum-([^./]+)$ forumdisplay.php?google_seo_forum=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
# Google SEO URL Threads:
RewriteRule ^Thread-([^./]+)$ showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
# Google SEO URL Announcements:
RewriteRule ^Announcement-([^./]+)$ announcements.php?google_seo_announcement=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
# Google SEO URL Users:
RewriteRule ^User-([^./]+)$ member.php?action=profile&google_seo_user=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
# Google SEO URL Calendars:
RewriteRule ^Calendar-([^./]+)$ calendar.php?google_seo_calendar=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
# Google SEO URL Events:
RewriteRule ^Event-([^./]+)$ calendar.php?action=event&google_seo_event=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# OLD REWRITE RULES
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+).html forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+).html forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+).html showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+).html showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost.html showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest.html showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest.html showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost.html showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+).html showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+).html announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+).html showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+).html member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>
SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support
# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to
# the client faster.
#
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript text/css text/html text/xml
</IfModule>

# Google SEO 404:
ErrorDocument 404 /misc.php?google_seo_error=404

The Sitemap under-plugin i use with the "misc.php?google_seo_sitemap=inde" settings. I do not let it rewrite. This worked very well with Google SEO 1.0.2.
Now with 1.0.4 Google Webmaster Tools is giving me alerts.
Quote: Google Translate from German

URLs not followed
In reviewing some URLs from your Sitemap, we found that some URLs to other websites. We recommend that your sitemap URLs that point to the final destination (the redirect target) refer instead to a different URL to refer.

German Original

Nicht aufgerufene URLs
Bei der Überprüfung einiger URLs von Ihrer Sitemap haben wir herausgefunden, dass einige URLs auf andere Websites verweisen. Wir empfehlen, dass Ihre Sitemap URLs enthält, die auf das endgültige Ziel (das Redirect-Ziel) verweisen, statt auf eine andere URL zu verweisen.

Right located to these warnings it says: HTTP-Error: 301 (permanently displaced)
URL: xxxxxxxxx
Your .htaccess seems fine - you shouldn't delete old rewrite rules (removing rules means breaking old URLs). Regarding the Sitemap, it should already point to the correct location. However since Google first downloads the Sitemap and then accesses the sites some time later, if a thread was renamed in the meantime, it would be redirected, causing this temporary error in Google Webmaster tools. Can you actually verify that the Sitemap holds bad links when you browse it?

The Who Is Online issue is new to me; I'll have to investigate. Is anyone else seeing this too?

Regarding the issue with the Overview plugin, I'll talk to the plugin author.
(2009-04-01, 03:32 PM)mirrorside Wrote: [ -> ]When i am in the "who is online"-list and press refresh sometimes it happens that Users are located in different Threads. For example:
USERxyz is viewing Thread "Nice day".
Then i press refresh
USERxyz is viewing Thread "Hot Chili".

This is something I've noticed here a lot, I'm convinced it's a MyBB bug but don't have reproduction steps to reproduce. I might report it tomorrow anyway just in case anyone can figure out what's wrong.

(2009-04-01, 03:32 PM)mirrorside Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes when i press refresh Users are located in Moderator-Forum Threads to which they should not have access. I know they do not have access, but other members also pressing Refresh in "Woho is online"-list can see by this way the headings of the Moderator-Forum Threads.

1.4.4 bug, all they're seeing is a no permissions page, in 1.4.5 it'll say 'Viewing No Permissions Page'. How they get the link to the staff forum/thread to see the no permissions page is a mystery, but that is all they're seeing Smile

So, I'm fairly certain neither of these are an issue with this plugin Smile