MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO Legacy 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Updated to 1.1.12.

- added compatibility flag for MyBB 1.6. This should allow for a nice transition for users who want to switch to MyBB 1.6 when it comes out. Please note that 'compatibility' only means that this plugin won't break MyBB 1.6 - it does not actively support any of 1.6 features (such as thread prefixes in URLs).

- enhanced thread merge support. Previously when you merged Thread-foo and Thread-bar into Thread-foobar, either the Thread-foo or Thread-bar URL would stop working (because what actually happens is that one thread is deleted and all posts moved into the other thread, and URLs of deleted threads no longer work). Now, when a thread is merged, the Google SEO URLs will be merged too, so both Thread-foo and Thread-bar will redirect to the merged result Thread-foobar.

- for security reasons, eval() isn't used anymore to expand variables like {$url} {$separator} {$id} to their actual values. Google SEO used the same method as MyBB does for templates, unfortunately this allows arbitrary code execution for admins. Instead, str_replace is now used. To make this change clear to the end user, it should be written without $, i.e. {url} {separator} {id} now. However the old {$url} style is still supported for backwards compatiblity.
Sorry guys I'm not that great with php but...

I'm having issues with the .htaccess. My original file is named htaccess.txt. When I rename the file to .htaccess and add the Google Rewrite code I get 404 errors on every forum/thread. What am I doing wrong or am I even doing this right?Huh
I think I'm encountering a bug with the modification:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-66890.html

Any idea if that can be fixed?
(2010-03-27, 06:40 PM)kmdowns Wrote: [ -> ]When I rename the file to .htaccess and add the Google Rewrite code I get 404 errors on every forum/thread.

If you get the correct URLs (i.e. yoursite / Thread-Subject) but 404 errors when you try to open them, it means your rewrite rules don't work. So either you don't have the correct rules in your .htaccess (the plugin status should tell you) or they don't work.

Possible reasons:
- your server does not support mod_rewrite
- your server requires additional settings for mod_rewrite to work (such as RewriteBase / or RewriteBase /forum or whatever directory relative to your domain it is in)
- you have other rewrite rules which conflict with the google seo rewrite rules
is this true that Google SEO use a lot of queries?

i have'nt realized bcos i use a Quad Core Dedicated Server.

maybe not recommended on shared hostings or cheap hostings
(2010-03-27, 11:00 PM)MaaV Wrote: [ -> ]is this true that Google SEO use a lot of queries?

Yes and no.

Yes, it uses queries. Yes, it uses a lot of queries if you have a lot of features and plugins enabled that add a lot of extra links and therefore a lot of extra work for Google SEO on a page. Yes, cheap hosting with an unresponsive MySQL server is a problem, with or without Google SEO. Yes, I'm fully aware there is room for optimization, but it takes time to do so.

No, you don't need a quad core server. Shared hosting is usually fine. No, it doesn't use a lot of queries with a standard board. No, the queries are not expensive at all, so even a hundred of them usually don't hurt. No, I'm not getting paid for this.
Quote:- you have other rewrite rules which conflict with the google seo rewrite rules

Are you suppose to delete the original rewrite rules in the .htaccess file that are already there when you add the new Google SEO rules?
The standard MyBB rewrite rules are fine - assuming you're using standard Google SEO URL settings. Google SEO lets you customize URL schemes, which gives you the power to make URLs look differently, but also the power to cause conflicts and breakage...
This plugin is great and works perfectly Smile Just wanted to say thank you and well done
(2010-03-24, 02:13 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Updated to 1.1.12.

- added compatibility flag for MyBB 1.6. This should allow for a nice transition for users who want to switch to MyBB 1.6 when it comes out. Please note that 'compatibility' only means that this plugin won't break MyBB 1.6 - it does not actively support any of 1.6 features (such as thread prefixes in URLs).

- enhanced thread merge support. Previously when you merged Thread-foo and Thread-bar into Thread-foobar, either the Thread-foo or Thread-bar URL would stop working (because what actually happens is that one thread is deleted and all posts moved into the other thread, and URLs of deleted threads no longer work). Now, when a thread is merged, the Google SEO URLs will be merged too, so both Thread-foo and Thread-bar will redirect to the merged result Thread-foobar.

- for security reasons, eval() isn't used anymore to expand variables like {$url} {$separator} {$id} to their actual values. Google SEO used the same method as MyBB does for templates, unfortunately this allows arbitrary code execution for admins. Instead, str_replace is now used. To make this change clear to the end user, it should be written without $, i.e. {url} {separator} {id} now. However the old {$url} style is still supported for backwards compatiblity.

do we need this with the current version of MYBB 1.4.11?