MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions for team members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-12-20, 02:35 AM)MyBB Tuneup Wrote: [ -> ]One questions for all staff: Why developers don't release their free plugins in a SINGLE "all-in-one" pack plugin, instead of dozens of separate plugins ?

Firstly it's harder to maintain. Secondly most people don't want 20 other plugins installed along with the one plugin they were looking for. It would also be a hell of a lot harder for us to review if they've packed 100 PHP files in to one archive.

There's probably an analogy which would work well here too.
I understand and I really think it is better to have sets of plugins because it would eliminate many incompatibilities with other plugins.
In addition, each user would probably choose which packages offer the most features, even if there are other packages with the same basic characteristics.

Anyway ... Thanks for the reply. I was curious to understand the strategy of creating 100 plugins for 100 things, instead to make a single plugin for the same 100 things, but to provide users the ability to use only the facilities they want from that package.

Sooner or later, I think it would get to this stage: to have sets with plugins (which can be activated with a single click).
I highly doubt any plugin developer will ever want to have all of their plugins in one pack... It's not very logical or useful in most cases. It's like putting all of your projects in to one Git repository, it just wouldn't turn out well.
(2012-12-20, 02:35 AM)MyBB Tuneup Wrote: [ -> ]Why developers don't release their free plugins in a SINGLE "all-in-one" pack plugin, instead of dozens of separate plugins ?

I don't know, it is up to personal preferences. Personalty I like keeping my plugins separated, as they are not meant to be used together as a single piece.

(2012-12-20, 02:39 AM)MyBB Tuneup Wrote: [ -> ]do you think is better to launch a pack of plugins as "all-in-one", instead of dozens of separate plugins ?

No.
Yeah ... I think you're right ... would be difficult to maintain.
But... nevermind.
I still think a plugin like "all-in-one" is more beneficial than 100 small plugins, for the same effect.
Thank you for replies. It was just a personal curiosity.
I like Tomm's system where you can add items to what's essentially a shopping cart and download them as a single zip file.
(2012-12-20, 03:21 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I like Tomm's system where you can add items to what's essentially a shopping cart and download them as a single zip file.

What "Tomm's system" ? Huh
This really is an interesting idea. Thank's for link.
Just wondering if the MyBB team still check this thread and weekly answer questions if there are any.