MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Frostshultz,

I'm curious... Will you be officially updating your plugin to 1.8, and will you also likely be updating for 2.0? Yes, I realize it will work with 1.8 now, but still no official update. And more concerned about 2.0.

I'm just curious what your plans are so I can plan accordingly.
2.0 is a long way from now.
Not too long. I'm guessing within a year. That's besides the point. I need to know what the developers possible plans are. If not having any plan to make it work with 2.0, then we've got to ween ourselves off Google SEO now rather than later. Even if 2.0 is 2 years off.

Obviously Mr. Shultz can't give a definite answer. Just curious if he has some inkling as to whether he'll update his plugin to work with 2.0.
It already works with 1.8. There is no point in supporting 2.0 as it will come with SEO built in.
(2015-03-21, 09:59 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]It already works with 1.8. There is no point in supporting 2.0 as it will come with SEO built in.

Yes, this is exactly my concern. We have literally thousands of our links spread across the net built with this plugin, as well as internal links linking all over our forum with Google SEO plugin built links.

My concern is that when 2.0 comes, the internal 2.0 SEO won't use the exact same link structure as this plugin, so we'll either

A) - Have to start over from scratch again with juice building and modifying thousands of internal links on the forum due to 2.0 different style SEO links, or
B) Continue using this SEO plugin (hence why I'm trying to find out if you plan on making it work with 2.0)
C) (best option) Modify 2.0 built-in SEO link structure so it matches this plugin (if that's even possible)

I'm just trying to plan ahead. It makes no sense to continue using the plugin if B or C aren't possible. What's your opinion frostschutz? I'm hoping C is possible, but I don't have enough knowledge regarding the matter. Thanks for your input.
>

MyBB 2 is a completely new software, written from scratch, with different technologies (fancy pants framework and god knows what other shenanigans). It won't have anything in common with MyBB other than the name.

One way or another, if you completely replace a forum software, you can't avoid having URL redirects simply because it will work differently. Google SEO already supports redirect to MyBB stock URLs (that feature was built-in from the start, the very first beta back in MyBB 1.4 days), which in turn can be redirected to MyBB 2 URLs.

Which URLs they use, is a design decision by the MyBB team. It's completely up to them how to build their URLs. One can only hope they'll end up using something far better than what this plugin did. After all, the Google SEO plugin always had to operate within the limitations of MyBB itself.

Quote:Not too long. I'm guessing within a year.

Sure... I believe it when I see it.

(2010-11-25, 08:34 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]5+ years. Don't wait.
Quote:Google SEO already supports redirect to MyBB stock URLs

But your plugin needs to be installed for this to work, yes? I mean if I "revert core changes", yes the links built with your plugin still work. But if I uninstall the plugin completely, then they no longer work. Is that correct?

I'm just trying to figure out how to go about planning for the future. Whether it's 6 months or a year or 2 years or 5 years, if we've got thousands of links across the net and internally built with your plugin, but your plugin needs to be installed for these links built with Google SEO to work... Well, you see the dilemma...
Hi,

MyBB 2.0 will use pretty URLs, but they still contain topic IDs (so, for example, this thread's URL would be "/topic/google-seo-1-6-8.101262"). The existing thread IDs will be preserved after upgrading from 1.x to 2.0. All that will then be required is to redirect Google SEO URLs to the current ID based URLs. It will require something scripted to make it work, but it won't be a particularly difficult job.
(2015-03-21, 01:01 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you see the dilemma...

certainly, this makes things perfectly clear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk-rHAndNc
Okay Euan, thank you for your reply. So if I'm understanding you correctly, if Google or any other site has the link:

http://www.mysite.com/forum/Thread-Conte...l-pictures

The script will be able to determine the proper thread ID, and re-direct it to a 2.0 pretty URL....
- Without the Google SEO plugin being installed....and
- will work for the many hundreds of current Google SEO styled links internally/externally...Without having to write a redirect for each one individually

Is that correct?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.