MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey op,
I recommend adding this:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-109253.html
(2012-02-12, 05:32 PM)king_og Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend adding this:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-109253.html

Google SEO already does this, the part that needs to be done by a plugin anyway (it offers the page number variable you can use for forumdisplay / showthread titles - this is also described in the documentation). For the rest you don't need a plugin at all, you can just edit the templates directly. I recommend you put the specific page title first and the forum name last (if you decide to leave the forum name in at all). MyBB by default does it the other way around, which may cause thread titles in search results to look identical at first glance.

What Google SEO does not do is automatically alter your templates. If you are that lazy, by all means, use the SEO Titles plugin.
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the generation of child sitemaps for threads and forums (?page=1, etc.)? I've restricted the crawling of URLs that contain "page=1" for the purpose of minimizing duplicate content on Google, however this has interfered with Google's ability to crawl my sitemap.
The sitemap does not work without the page parameter. If you keep blocking page=, then what you can do is add one or more Allow: lines for it that specifically whitelists the sitemap URLs.

As for page=1 URLs, Google SEO already takes care of them in other ways; for forums and threads they are actually redirected directly; with redirect disabled but meta enabled, it would have a canonical tag to tell Google it's a duplicate of the original thread URL. So page=1 doesn't have to be blocked.
Hello. Can anyone help me with the settings on google seo sitemap. What should i have enabled in what condition.
What is the difference between
"Yes, including forum pages"
"Yes, including thread pages"

from the standard "yes" and where it helps.
Thanx
if you say yes to thread pages it will also include thread?page=2, ?page=3, etc.

otherwise it will just list the main thread url
Why not using forum ids and thread ids in the search engine friendly URLs? This would need much less server resources then.
(2012-02-14, 11:19 AM)AlexThunder Wrote: [ -> ]Why not using forum ids and thread ids in the search engine friendly URLs?

I just don't consider random numbers in URLs "friendly" or useful in any way. Google's SEO Starter Guide (which was the basis for this plugin) also says "words in the URL might appeal to a search user more than an ID number would". Getting rid of the ID is still a design choice, of course.

(2012-02-14, 11:19 AM)AlexThunder Wrote: [ -> ]This would need much less server resources then.

Yes, sure. Google SEO actually had some development into this direction (Lazy Mode which was added in Google SEO 1.6 - it still produces id free URLs but reduces the SEO URLs in output part to a single query). The problem is that the only way to save resources is to operate on the output produced by MyBB; so you have to match/replace strings and false matches are always a possibility.

String replacement in the output isn't free either, though (esp. considering that output may be huge, so it's affecting both CPU and memory usage), which is something people like to forget. It's also not very reliable - most bugs in the unmaintained "MyBB/Spicefuse SEO" plugin are due to false matches in their string replacement functions. It also doesn't cover all bases - not all produced URLs end up in the HTML output where they can be replaced; they may also be sent through other channels such as notification mails, etc.

Google SEO (in full mode) doesn't suffer from these problems; it uses more resources, yes, but at the same time it also offers the more powerful, more reliable solution.
I know you will probably go mad on me frostschutz but I have another question.
you explained to me why I can't rewrite the url on username.domain.com form but now I am asking you, can I rewrite the url profile page of a user to domain.com/username?

I mention that my forum it is located in /forum directory and I don't want to move it to root because there I want to place another things and I don't want the url to be domain.com/forum/username
Hello, I think I found a bug.
I'm using Google SEO 1.6.3, and MyBB 1.6.6. I'm using virtual directory structure (set up as your post says) and I can't use the inline moderation. I didn't think it was caused by this plugin, but I tried to deactivate it, and the inline mod works. Re-activated it, and it doesn't work. Could you help me?
The error of inline moderation is: "Sorry, but you did not select any posts to perform inline moderation on, or your previous moderation session has expired (Automatically after 1 hour of inactivity). Please select some posts and try again."

Thank you.