MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2011-08-12, 05:19 PM)annaconda Wrote: [ -> ]Is the following Screen means i have fully configured Google SEO 1.6.0?

YES Wink
(2011-08-10, 02:35 PM)nadlerz Wrote: [ -> ]That is my problem, some of the pages won't load.
Example is this page > http://www.nadlerzforum.com/thread-new-m...ead?page=6
and other http://www.nadlerzforum.com/thread-updat...bt?page=17
and so many a=other,
What is causing this problem?

How to manually add the description variable "description" ?

Description length to is set to default 200

* Under Use MyBB's Cache system for SEO URLs
I have this values= 15,index.php,portal.php

Why is 15 default value?

I just remove pre parser, and everything is Working Fine!
:thanks" for helping me Heart
I get a 403 Forbidden Error when I try to access the sitemap via the xml link
Why is google still viewing no permissions page after I installed robots.txt?
robots.txt doesn't block Google from viewing no permission pages. It blocks pages which you clearly specified in the file. So if you forgot to include a page which bots shouldn't have permissions to view, Google will land on it.
Installed today and it was looking great, but it totally breaks MyCMS. Undecided

I think it has something to do with the rewrite rules and how MyCMS will show your content pages as www.website.com/page.html even though that actual HTML page does not exist as a file.

Bummer. Sad Had to restore from a backup.

I also did not get a chance to test, but wonder if it would break functionality with mods that reference users or forums by ID (possibly expecting only a number).
@Anooxy,
What happens when you try to access it via misc.php?google_seo_sitemap=index

(2011-08-13, 09:36 PM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]Installed today and it was looking great, but it totally breaks MyCMS. Undecided

Define MyCMS. Searching with Google and this forum, I found nothing of relevance.

(2011-08-13, 09:36 PM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]I think it has something to do with the rewrite rules

If whatever MyCMS is has rewrite rules and if those rewrite rules try to match the same URLs as Google SEO or MyBB, then yes sure that's certainly a possibility. Nothing I can do about it other than what's already there - Google SEO's URL style can be configured so you should be able to find something that doesn't clash with whatever else you're using.

Quote:Bummer. Sad Had to restore from a backup.

Google SEO should be fairly nondestructive actually. If you have a problem with the rewrite rules you have to remove them of course, other than that everything should be back to normal once you disable the URL component of the plugin (or deactivate / uninstall the plugin altogether).

Quote:I also did not get a chance to test, but wonder if it would break functionality with mods that reference users or forums by ID (possibly expecting only a number).

The ID doesn't change, so whatever a plugin or MyBB does with IDs internally, still works as expected. Asking users for IDs is a problem of course, but doing this is a horrible design choice regardless whether you use SEO or not. Imagine MyBB's PM system asking you for user ids instead of user names. Sucks, right? Smile

Actually MyBB does that in one place, and that's merging threads, where instead of letting you select the thread directly, it asks for the thread URL instead (and what it wants is the ID out of that). Some special treatment was added for this case a while back (although it might not work anymore with the new URL styles, that's one thing I forgot to test). However, newreply links work too, as does a custom moderation tool that merges threads. I actually prefer the latter as you can just select the threads you want directly with the custom tool.

EDIT: Ah, I think I found it. MyCMS by mybbsource / nickman? Unfortunately it's not freely available so there's nothing I can do to help you.
(2011-08-13, 09:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@Anooxy,

(2011-08-13, 09:36 PM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]Installed today and it was looking great, but it totally breaks MyCMS. Undecided

Define MyCMS. Searching with Google and this forum, I found nothing of relevance.

(2011-08-13, 09:36 PM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]I think it has something to do with the rewrite rules

If whatever MyCMS is has rewrite rules and if those rewrite rules try to match the same URLs as Google SEO or MyBB, then yes sure that's certainly a possibility. Nothing I can do about it other than what's already there - Google SEO's URL style can be configured so you should be able to find something that doesn't clash with whatever else you're using.

Quote:Bummer. Sad Had to restore from a backup.

Google SEO should be fairly nondestructive actually. If you have a problem with the rewrite rules you have to remove them of course, other than that everything should be back to normal once you disable the URL component of the plugin (or deactivate / uninstall the plugin altogether).

Quote:I also did not get a chance to test, but wonder if it would break functionality with mods that reference users or forums by ID (possibly expecting only a number).

The ID doesn't change, so whatever a plugin or MyBB does with IDs internally, still works as expected. Asking users for IDs is a problem of course, but doing this is a horrible design choice regardless whether you use SEO or not. Imagine MyBB's PM system asking you for user ids instead of user names. Sucks, right? Smile

Actually MyBB does that in one place, and that's merging threads, where instead of letting you select the thread directly, it asks for the thread URL instead (and what it wants is the ID out of that). Some special treatment was added for this case a while back (although it might not work anymore with the new URL styles, that's one thing I forgot to test). However, newreply links work too, as does a custom moderation tool that merges threads. I actually prefer the latter as you can just select the threads you want directly with the custom tool.

EDIT: Ah, I think I found it. MyCMS by mybbsource / nickman? Unfortunately it's not freely available so there's nothing I can do to help you.

Were you able to test merging threads? I do use that feature now and then.

Found it! There was another rule in there:

RewriteRule ^(.*?)\.html$ pages.php?p=$1 [L,QSA]

Is that going to mess with your mod if I add it in? I did reinstall after a restore and enabled the sitemap. Works well. Wink

However, if I enable the URL portion, should I somehow re-create a sitemap? And, I'm unsure what URL Parameters in google webmaster tools I should add, if any, either with or without Google SEO plugin. I want to avoid duplicates if possible.

Any advice?

Thanks! Smile

Also, I do think it would be good to provide a method to revert back somehow. Not sure how hard this would be, but what happens if a year from now you are not working on the mod, MyBB releases a critical update, and that update breaks the Google SEO functionality? I'd hate to be stuck having to start fresh. Sad

Oh, and your mod rocks! You have obviously put a lot of time into it and I don't want to take away from giving you credit for so much work.
(2011-08-14, 01:20 AM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]Were you able to test merging threads? I do use that feature now and then.

It's on my todo list somewhere. With the standard URL style it will work, and if you're using a non standard one you can use the newreply URL instead. It's not a show stopper.

Quote:
RewriteRule ^(.*?)\.html$ pages.php?p=$1 [L,QSA]

Is that going to mess with your mod if I add it in?

Google SEO does not use .html by default, so it's not a problem unless you mess with the default URL scheme.

Quote:However, if I enable the URL portion, should I somehow re-create a sitemap?

The sitemap is dynamic and as such always up to date.

Quote:Also, I do think it would be good to provide a method to revert back somehow.

Google SEO Redirect can redirect SEO URLs back to MyBB URLs. It's also described in the manual.
I Encounter 500 Internal Server Error when Posting "New Replay" and "Qoute in Replay"
Sad
Even if I removed already the PreParser
(2011-08-13, 09:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]@Anooxy,

That works of course.