MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey frostschutz,
on my Forum I made a little update to your Google SEO Plugin (based on 1.6.0).

On meta.php changed the google_seo_meta_posts:
function google_seo_meta_posts(&$mypost)
{
	if(!defined("PLUGINLIBRARY"))
	{
		define("PLUGINLIBRARY", MYBB_ROOT."inc/plugins/pluginlibrary.php");
	}
    global $post, $settings;
    global $google_seo_nofollow;
	global $PL;
    $PL or require_once PLUGINLIBRARY;

// Archive Post hook doesn't supply us with the post so we have to cheat.
    if(defined("IN_ARCHIVE") && !$mypost && $post)
    {
        $mypost = &$post;
    }

if($mypost['dateline'] > $google_seo_nofollow && !$PL->is_member($settings['NOFOLLOW_DISABLE'],$post['uid']))
    {
        $mypost['message'] = google_seo_meta_nofollow($mypost['message']);
        $mypost['button_www'] = google_seo_meta_nofollow($mypost['www_button']);
        $mypost['signature'] = google_seo_meta_nofollow($mypost['signature']);
    }
}

$settings['NOFOLLOW_DISABLE'] is a comma-seperated string containig usergroups. These groups are not affected by the nofollow-modifications.

I think this plugin is helpful for trusted groups.

So maybe you are willing to add this on the next-version of your plugin

sincerly kapsonfire
(greetings from germany)
(2011-08-25, 11:42 PM)Kapsonfire Wrote: [ -> ]$settings['NOFOLLOW_DISABLE'] is a comma-seperated string containig usergroups. These groups are not affected by the nofollow-modifications.

You're probably trying to solve a problem that isn't there. Or you're looking for a different approach to nofollow that Google SEO doesn't provide.

There is no need to exclude specific usergroups from the nofollow, as the nofollow as implemented by Google SEO is meant to be only temporary anyway. Google SEO's nofollow gives you X days to moderate spam posts and the like. By then it will have served its purpose (don't give pagerank/weight/reputation/referrals/whatchamacallems to spammers). Having a short term nofollow hurts spammers (provided the moderators do their job and make sure the spam posts themselves are short term only), it doesn't hurt legitimate posts as they will still be around after a week or even a year. In the long run, though, all links in all posts are normal links. And that's really the only thing that matters for search engine rankings.

See also http://community.mybb.com/thread-54469-p...#pid386704

Now, sure I could add another setting, and make the code more complex, so supposedly trusted users wouldn't be affected by nofollow. However it wouldn't make a difference as nofollow is removed after a time anyway, and there are cases where trust does not hold true; for example a trusted user might quote an untrusted one and thereby inadvertently produce a follow link that should be nofollowed. If all users are affected by nofollow, you can openly discuss whether or not a particular link is spam or not without having to worry about Google seeing your site as one that spreads nasty links. So there are advantages to the current behaviour...

Altogether you shouldn't overestimate the importance of nofollow. It's influence on SEO is miniscule at best. At least it is for forums where posts are the main form of content. It may be different for blogs where blog posts are the main content and comments are, well, just accessory matter of little importance. You can perma-nofollow blog comments without batting an eye but it would be a bad choice for forums.
Hi!
Thanks for this plugins.
I download latest version. can I use it for 1.6.4???
In plugin document you wrote we need to install plugin library , why???

@Jondan, Follow all those steps first.
Then, if you have any problem post it here.
even after proper installation, uploaded plugin library and edition of htaccess and functions.php file and no error in plugin page.

i get 404 page not found error while clicking on the posts/threads.

Board URL?

Go to ACP » Board Settings
Server and Optimization Options > Enable search engine friendly URLs? = set to enabled

Be sure all the google seo settings are enabled also.
(2011-08-26, 07:35 AM)fresher123 Wrote: [ -> ]i get 404 page not found error while clicking on the posts/threads.

Your rewrite rules don't work, then. Check if your host supports rewrites and what you have to do to enable them...
(2011-08-26, 07:35 AM)fresher123 Wrote: [ -> ]even after proper installation, uploaded plugin library and edition of htaccess and functions.php file and no error in plugin page.

i get 404 page not found error while clicking on the posts/threads.

(2011-08-26, 08:20 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-26, 07:35 AM)fresher123 Wrote: [ -> ]i get 404 page not found error while clicking on the posts/threads.

Your rewrite rules don't work, then. Check if your host supports rewrites and what you have to do to enable them...

http://community.mybb.com/thread-102522-...#pid746980
OK,
I should edit htaccess and function.php manually??
What's instructions?
(2011-08-26, 08:19 AM)nadlerz Wrote: [ -> ]Board URL?

Go to ACP » Board Settings
Server and Optimization Options > Enable search engine friendly URLs? = set to enabled

Be sure all the google seo settings are enabled also.

www.arvindandjyothi.com/forum/

I have enabled the Search engine friendly URLs.
All google SEO is enabled already.

I anxiously wanted google SEO to work ... Undecided