MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for the praise, I guess Wink

This plugin currently has two known bugs that still require fixing (nothing too critical as they can be worked around with available settings: avoid lazy mode for now and enable permission checks for redirects); I couldn't find the time (and peace & quiet) necessary to actually tackle them these past few days; my dad's currently in hospital with a badly broken leg (and after surgery last week it's literally screwed now) and I visit him every day which is incredibly time consuming. I might not be able to get any work done for a while.
(2011-09-06, 06:41 PM)Kbassil Wrote: [ -> ]18 pages of troubleshooting makes me very cautious to use this... anyone care to try and assuage my fears?

Worth it?

Some of the best software will have the most replied to posts in forums. You just have to read through them all to make an informed decision.

I use the sitemap feature of this plugin, but I don't use the URL changes because if the development stops on this plugin, there is no way to ensure I won't have to scrap my whole forum to keep up with MyBB updates.

There is no clean way to revert back, which in my opinion is a huge reason to not use this on a live forum.
(2011-09-07, 02:12 AM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]if the development stops on this plugin, there is no way to ensure I won't have to scrap my whole forum to keep up with MyBB updates.

It's Open Source, so anyone can take over development any time.

Even if it wasn't, you don't have to scrap the forum, ever. Worst case your URLs just change without any redirection whatsoever. Which isn't optimal but not anywhere near as bad as having to scrap the entire thing.

(2011-09-07, 02:12 AM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]There is no clean way to revert back, which in my opinion is a huge reason to not use this on a live forum.

This plugin is able and does offer a way to revert back to original URLs. Google SEO Redirect works both ways. That was part of the design from the very start.

If you don't want to use URLs that's your decision - Google SEO doesn't force you to use any of its features, that's why everything is a setting after all. Just please stop telling people that there's no way to revert back, when there is and always was a way to do so. It's in the manual.
(2011-09-07, 08:03 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-07, 02:12 AM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]if the development stops on this plugin, there is no way to ensure I won't have to scrap my whole forum to keep up with MyBB updates.

It's Open Source, so anyone can take over development any time.

Even if it wasn't, you don't have to scrap the forum, ever. Worst case your URLs just change without any redirection whatsoever. Which isn't optimal but not anywhere near as bad as having to scrap the entire thing.

(2011-09-07, 02:12 AM)BBFPaco Wrote: [ -> ]There is no clean way to revert back, which in my opinion is a huge reason to not use this on a live forum.

This plugin is able and does offer a way to revert back to original URLs. Google SEO Redirect works both ways. That was part of the design from the very start.

If you don't want to use URLs that's your decision - Google SEO doesn't force you to use any of its features, that's why everything is a setting after all. Just please stop telling people that there's no way to revert back, when there is and always was a way to do so. It's in the manual.

So if I did revert back using the methods outlined, but also disabled the plugin (you specify to leave it in place or links won't work) and .htaccess rewrites, the Mybb URL's would still work? If so, this wouldn't be too bad.

However, doesn't this mean both URL's exist at the same time; the Mybb version and GoogleSEO version? Wouldn't we want to be using Google's URL Parameters or is there a method to ensure Google isn't indexing both the Mybb and Google SEO version? Or, do the rewrite rules take care of this?

I appriciate all your work on this plugin and sorry if I misunderstood your directions, but they seem to indicate you can't revert back to the original Mybb URL's.

The plugin will stay active (to redirect Google SEO URLs to MyBB stock URLs) but the URLs themselves will be reverted. Since you can disable all other features of the plugin, redirects will be the only thing it still does. And after a while (when Google replaced all Google SEO URL links with MyBB stock URL links) you may choose to remove it entirely.

You could just as well put the Google SEO URL -> stock URL redirection code into a separate file and remove the plugin entirely, but that'd be a lot of effort just to get the plugin out of the plugins list when the end result is just the same anyway.
frostschutz

Are you going to add the abilty for the plugin to do video sitemaps in the future ?
I'm still not sure how to handle the duplicate URL's.

Quote:However, doesn't this mean both URL's exist at the same time; the Mybb version and GoogleSEO version? Wouldn't we want to be using Google's URL Parameters or is there a method to ensure Google isn't indexing both the Mybb and Google SEO version? Or, do the rewrite rules take care of this?
Hi, I'm hoping to get some support with my installation of Google SEO please! Blush

My error:
Modifications to inc/functions.php are required for URL support. Please see the documentation for details.

Now, I've read lots and lots of threads this past week on this issue and the advice given is to obtain the functions.php from the Google SEO archive and apply that. But there is no functions.php in this particular archive but there is in the SEO Legacy plugin. I applied this said functions.php file only and everything worked for me until by chance I realised that I couldn't access some of my forums and I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function build_prefixes() in /forumdisplay.php on line 884

All I was seeing were blank pages but only in certain forums. All threads were inaccessible. So, I did some more research here on myBB and it was apparently attributed to the functions.php file. So...I've deactivated Google SEO, uninstalled it and obtained the new original functions.php. I've now reinstalled Google SEO and I'm back to square one with the same issue. So I'm now stuck! Any advice, help is grrrrreatly appreciated as I've no idea what to do now! Undecided

If this has been answered before I'm really sorry as I know how annoying it can be going over the same old stuff all the time, but honestly I can't seem to find anything that can help me out or maybe I'm just that frustrated with it all I'm just missing the obvious solution!

Thanks inadvance,
Hazel
Revert your functions.php to the MyBB original file. The plugin status should be showing you controls for applying changes to core files, if such changes are necessary. The changes will then be performed by the plugin itself.

BBFPaco: Google SEO handles the URLs by redirecting and/or specifying canonicals.
(2011-09-08, 01:38 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Revert your functions.php to the MyBB original file. The plugin status should be showing you controls for applying changes to core files, if such changes are necessary. The changes will then be performed by the plugin itself.

Ok, I've just did that and it's still the same Blush

Quote:Google SEO (1.1.13)
Google Search Engine Optimization as described in the official Google's SEO starter guide. Please see the documentation for details.

Modifications to inc/functions.php are required for URL support. Please see the documentation for details.
404, Meta, Redirect, Sitemap and URL are enabled.

Created by Andreas Klauer

Wait a minute..have I got the latest build? I've just seen it says 1.1.13, that's what I've just downloaded from the mods page a little while ago. But this thread reads 1.6.1 - where is the download for that or am I really losing the plot now lol?!