MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2011-09-03, 10:08 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-03, 08:35 PM)michx Wrote: [ -> ]is this correct? It should be without the query string, right?

Removing the page parameter would be wrong.

Canonical is for giving pages that have the same content but different names, a single canonical URL where this content can be found. A thread has different content on every page so naturally the page is relevant to the canonical URL.

However if you go to the same content under a different name, for example the print or archive version, or a different URL style (when Redirect is disabled), or just appending additional parameters such as highlight=word or pid=123, you will notice that the canonical URL always points back to the main thread URL with tid and page being the only parameters present (unless its the first page, where no page parameter is required).

Thanks
I want to remove thread prefixes from the URLs.
There's an option at the SEO URLs settings:

Thread Prefixes
Include thread prefixes in thread URLs?

{prefix}{separator}{url}

So what to do here? Remove {prefix}{separator}, or {url} too?
Thx!
Remove it entirely. {url} alone would work too but Google SEO would still query the prefixes then.
Thank you!
18 pages of troubleshooting makes me very cautious to use this... anyone care to try and assuage my fears?

Worth it?
More like 18 pages of people who don't know how to read the documentation, if you ask me.

The plugin is great. Use it.
Good enough for me. I'll go for it and report back how it went in a few hours.
18 pages is nothing by the way, the legacy version has 227: http://community.mybb.com/thread-46423.html

Which is nothing to worry about really. You don't measure how troublesome a plugin is by looking at the number of pages. This actually indicates how many people are using it. It's by far the most popular plugin.
True, but I read through a few of them and saw a few "oops messed up now have to reinstall/revert mybb". That's what makes me nervous, but no guts no glory it seems.

They probably freaked out when they were getting 404 error messages for not editing the .htaccess file correctly, because once again they failed to read the documentation. There was no real danger and re-installing MyBB was not needed at all. They could have just stopped being lazy and follow the instructions for once. I guess the nicest way to say this is that those people are idiots.

frostschutz, who by the way is a very experienced programmer, put a lot of work into this. It follows Google's own SEO recommendations. He did not mess it up, people are just too stupid to follow the highly detailed documentation which frostschutz wrote himself. I can guarantee that your forum will be fine, just as long as you take a little time to read the instructions. If something goes wrong, it can easily be reverted. Better yet, come on here and we'll sort out the issue. Smile