MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login/Logout problems? PLEASE READ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No your cookie domain and path are correct tell him to clear all his cookies and try another browser it could narrow down the problem
He has tried clearing his cookies and cache, and has tried different browsers as well :/
I have set-up a fresh copy of mybb 1.6.5 and I have the same login/logout problem. My cookie domain is set to: .edited-url.org and cookie path is set to: /

I've checked setting.php and it reflects the above settings. Any clues?
P.S.: my url is: http://community.edited-url.org
^ try community.faerunsnewdawn.org for cookie domain (OR it can be .community.faerunsnewdawn.org)
I've already tested both combinations but the problem remains Sad
(2012-01-26, 08:41 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ @shuvo, clear your browser cookies & cache and check log in & log out ...

my cookies & cache all clear
My Domain www.torrentsbd.com
Cookie Domain:
.torrentsbd.com
Cookie Path:
/
Homepage URL:
/

My Cookies is clear. now what i do?
Ok I'm still having problem
My forum: http://modsarefree.co.cc/forum31/
here is the php code in the settings.php

$settings['cookiedomain'] = "";
$settings['cookiepath'] = "/forum31/";
$settings['cookieprefix'] = "";

what do i do, and if you say clear cookies how do i do that
sorry new to well the internet settings Confused
(2012-02-03, 08:03 PM)NEWgenMODS Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I'm still having problem
My forum: http://modsarefree.co.cc/forum31/
here is the php code in the settings.php

$settings['cookiedomain'] = "";
$settings['cookiepath'] = "/forum31/";
$settings['cookieprefix'] = "";

what do i do, and if you say clear cookies how do i do that
sorry new to well the internet settings Confused

Did you read the first post? Your cookie domain should be .modsarefree.co.cc not empty.

In fact, currently, your cookie domain is .http://modsarefree.co.cc/forum31 and your cookie path is / which isn't right either.

Cookie domain: .modsarefree.co.cc
Cookie path: /forum31/

All explained in the first post.
Hi all,

playcentreforums.co.nz/forum

I'm having the exact same problem as a poster in a different thread before, who didn't seem to get to a satisfying solution:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-82314-p...#pid820967

PROBLEM:

Brand new installation, I went straight to logging in with the admin username and password that I created during the installation, playcentreforums.co.nz/forum/member.php loads with message "you have successfully been logged in", a few seconds later, index.php loads again, and I am not logged in. No error message at any point.

WHAT I TRIED TO FIX IT:

I did work through everything in the original post in this thread right here. Unless I overlooked something, none of those things apply to my situation, correct cookie settings in the browser, tried different browsers, even different computers; all cookie settings in the installation are correct. I regenerated the settings.php., but of course could not do this: "Then, you MUST go to 'ACP > Configuration > General Configuration' and make the change here too.", because again I was not able to log into the forum in the first place to get to the ACP. No matter what I tried so far, same result, just not logging in, no error message.

Note that this can not have anything to do with settings in the ACP, since I never even was able to log in since installing in the first place.

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?

Is there any limitation as to what characters can be used for the user name and password, and could that be the problem? I did use quite a wild user name and password when I created the admin account during installation, with special characters.

I'm out of ideas now, so any advice much appreciated...

I'm not too keen on simply reinstalling everything. I can do that very easily, but without a clear reason why that should work, that's only a shot into the dark. If no one else has a specific idea, I will try a new install, but even if that works, not knowing what actually caused the problem would keep me worrying about whether or not this problem will come back at a later point.

Can not wait to finally start building this forum with MyBB! But I'm confident that with your help, I'll solve this issue.

Cheers,

Matt

PS: Suggestion: I think it would be good to include this specific case, not being able to log into a brand new installation, into the first post of the "login/logout problems" thread (and other specific login porblems that may not be covered there yet). It takes a long time to read through 40+ pages to see if my answer is in there.

THE SOLUTION:

So, I found the problem.

If anyone else should have the problem that they can't log into a completely freshly installed mybb forum, check if you might have put in a longer than allowed password when creating the database.

In my case at least, if I type in a password that's too long, the system throws an error, and doesn't allow me to do that - which makes complete sense.

But if I copy-paste a password from somewhere else which is longer than the database allows though, it allows me to do that, and creates the database nonetheless, without any error messages! Only that password then does not actually work, and you're effectively locked out of your own database.

I created my database password with an external, unrelated, password generator - by accident, 8 instead of 7 digits long. The database only allows 7 digits.

After I reinstalled everything and used a 7 digit password for the database, everything worked just fine.

Maybe put this particular login problem and its solution into the original post of this thread so people can find it if they encounter the same, without having to read through 40+ pages of this thread? Of course it's more database related than related to MyBB, but putting the solution here could help a few people nonetheless.

Very happy to be able to start my MyBB adventure now!

Ciao,

Matt