MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ryan G's Mods And Plugins - Updated for 1.4!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nothing in 1.2.10 changed the settings so something else is causing it
Well, I think either there are files missing in the current zip file on this site or this is a new version that doesn't work. I had version 1.0.1 installed on a test bed and that one works. But the 1.1 one (I downloaded it from this site) does not.

When I compared the files I had installed on the test bed, there were several of those missing in the 1.1 version (the zip file I downloaded here). Or are these just updated files, supposed to replace the ones on the server already?
I'll look into it in a bit
Well, I was using Akismet since yesterday and here's the score so far. Two of our members got banned, but they made completely legit posts. Btw, I'm not attacking your work, I'm just trying to understand what happened so basically I'm here to ask about what triggers Akismet.

With our two members we had two scenarios. The first one was that a member posted about 10 pics in a post. The images were linked from an image host. Result, banned. Akismet placed the post in the admin CP. I of course reversed the ban, added the user ID to the ignore list and I figured that would be it.

Then earlier today I noticed a second member was banned. But the odd thing was there was no post placed in the Admin CP. So as far as I know Akismet did not ban this member because of a post she made. That really puzzled me to be honest. Because either way, pushing the Spam button or a post being blocked by Akismet, all posts should appear in the Admin CP.

So, now I'm wondering, what triggers Akismet? These two members were no spammers at all, I actually know these people quite well from other forums. Does Akismet check logins? If that's the case that would be very sophisticated indeed but could limit legit people still using proxies. I'm just thinking out loud here because I actually want to understand how I can prevent these things from happening.

Having that said, keep up the good work to fight spammers. I think you've got quite a cool system there.
metalappie Wrote:So, now I'm wondering, what triggers Akismet?

Akismet itself has nothing to do with my code. I simply implemented the features via the plugin into MyBB; It works by connecting to the Akismet database and checking it through a list of "known spambots/spam posts/spam IP Adresses" etc - Sometimes legit posts/people/ips get banned and so therefore the post gets blocked. However, I have a wealth of settings that you can set to ignore checking of certain people and you can set how many times should it take for a person to be banned/suspended etc
Yeah, I saw that. Which is great Smile

I was wondering if you looked into the problem I had with the 1.1 version? Every time I try to use that version instead of the 1.0.1 version Akismet refuses to work. There's not even anything in the Admin CP to control settings for Akismet.

So, do I have to install and activate Akismet 1.0.1 and then upgrade the system with the 1.1 files? Because I really love the system you provide, but in version 1.0.1 there are some quirks I think were fixed in 1.1.

In 1.0.1 posts or threads marked as spam can not be marked as Not spam somehow. It just won't put the posts/threads back when you mark them as Not spam and click the Go button. The Go button in the CP of Akismet also wasn't properly updated when posts marked as spam were deleted. It just kept saying Go (x posts selected), unless you clicked the Clear button. Another effect I saw was that threads marked as spam (and deleted) still appeared on the forum main page as being there, I had to manually do a rebuild and recount to solve this.

But like I said, when I try to upgrade to 1.1 Akismet doesn't work anymore. The link to the Akismet CP disappears in the Admin CP, so I can't change settings and such.

Any ideas why this could be? And are the issues I described above fixed in 1.1?

EDIT: I tried activating version 1.0.1 which of course worked. I then uploaded the files in the current zip file of version 1.1 and Akismet didn't work anymore. So, either way version 1.1 just won't work for me. What am I doing wrong here? I could use some input here. I mean, if I can get version 1.0.1 to work I didn't make any mistakes. But once I upgrade to 1.1 it just won't work anymore, so what's causing this? Are the files mixed up somehow? Just thinking out loud.
I checked it and it's all there and it works fine for me. Not sure why your isn't working
Okay, we'll look into it some more then Smile
If your having a problem with Akismet not installing properly i edited the inc code and made it work.

For me what I needed to do was remove the version checks on the activate and deactivate functions in inc/plugins/akismet.php

It worked after that.
ijakings Wrote:If your having a problem with Akismet not installing properly i edited the inc code and made it work.

For me what I needed to do was remove the version checks on the activate and deactivate functions in inc/plugins/akismet.php

It worked after that.

If you removed that then you wouldn't actually be getting the full install. Besides that, the code works fine.