MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyFacebook Connect 3.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-05-31, 01:58 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-31, 01:19 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about your last points, the name is a public information so I don't know why you don't want to have users like that, and with the latest version of MFC you can restrict Facebook access to verified-only users so you certainly know they are real people if avoid bots is a problem for you.

real name not is public information....
Most of our forum user, avoids providing information that can determine who is behind the computer. Most use nick. Not real name. Our forum is about hobby that is not well seen by all...

I need e-mail address is real. I'm not talking about spam or bot, we've never had problems with it.
This is the main reason I do not use the MyTwitter Connect because I'm not sure that e-mail address provided in registration is real or fake. There is no process of email validation as in default registration.

Real name IS public. If your users would like to have nicknames instead of their FB usernames then it's up to them changing it, MyFacebook Connect gives them the chance to.

I can't change the behavior of MFC for a single user when hundreds of them like the current default one.

(2013-05-31, 02:01 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I personally use the faster registration method: instant activation. You may think I'm getting bots and spam every day but thanks to the core "extra email field" and some customizations to the registration page I haven't seen a spammy post and neither a spammy user yet.

Can you talk more about this? Spammers seem to be having no issues with my custom quick registration form haha

Well I've changed the IDs of the textbox and the position of them. Bots' scripts should locate the default input IDs, so just changing them should be enough to at least reduce their incoming.
(2013-05-31, 02:22 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Real name IS public. If your users would like to have nicknames instead of their FB usernames then it's up to them changing it, MyFacebook Connect gives them the chance to.

I can't change the behavior of MFC for a single user when hundreds of them like the current default one.

I just answered your question "I don't know why you don't want to have users like that".
As previously mentioned I will continue making changes personally in the plugin.
anyway grateful for the attention.
There's no dependence on those ID's in other locations?
Not that I'm aware of.
(2013-05-31, 01:58 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]real name not is public information....
Most of our forum user, avoids providing information that can determine who is behind the computer. Most use nick. Not real name.

^I'd have to agree with that. Most of my user's value their privacy very highly which is one reason my staff have voted down FB registration completely-- forums are a getaway for people so I can certainly understand where martec is coming from.
Well they can choose whatever nickname they like if they want to. The fact that it's already filled with their Facebook's name (which, again, is a public information) is just a matter of speeding the process up for lazy people or who doesn't care about using their FB name on a Forum.

Many sites that uses FB login don't even ask you to pick up a nickname so the chance to choose one is enough to me.
I guess I was more replying to that particular sentiment than the discussion-- really I was off topic. My bad.
(2013-05-31, 06:53 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]^I'd have to agree with that. Most of my user's value their privacy very highly which is one reason my staff have voted down FB registration completely-- forums are a getaway for people so I can certainly understand where martec is coming from.

many people have urge to click next, next during registration.
Worse is then asked to me to change the username, because he used real name during registration.
in case another person has made ​​clone account with nickname.
leave username field empty was best thing I did.
I think doing the same modifications I made, gives to ensure privacy.

my facebook registration...
[Image: wyv7THR.png]

only need put nick name... it´s all to register...
if user forgot to check something to import avatar etc... of facebook he can do that later.
but changing username is not possible after via UCP...

sorry still continue discussing this. just wanted to clarify my point of view.
If someone clicks Next with their real name in the username field, that's their problem. If your site's topic is so sensitive, maybe you shouldn't let people register with Facebook at all.

You could also enable changing username after registration.
(2013-06-01, 02:52 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]If someone clicks Next with their real name in the username field, that's their problem. If your site's topic is so sensitive, maybe you shouldn't let people register with Facebook at all.

You could also enable changing username after registration.

for me better empty field in username as in I.P.Board... thus avoid the problems mentioned above.
i tested in this site http://www.animeportugal.net/ , its close with changes i made.
empty field in username and not permit put other e-mail.

anyway please disregard those answers.
I made the changes in plugin and perfectly meets my requirements.