MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Game Section
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking about the problem that users can change their score before they save them. Is it possible to have that screen within a frame maybe? I notice that when you play a game from the ACP, you can only see the admin session in the url bar, so you can't change the score...is something like that possible?

Or maybe instead of letting the user save their own score, that after they submit, it immediately gets saved? I'm sure you've thought of these options, but it does bother me that they can change the scores. I think one of my members has already figured it out and has fudged her scores.
judel Wrote:I've been thinking about the problem that users can change their score before they save them. Is it possible to have that screen within a frame maybe? I notice that when you play a game from the ACP, you can only see the admin session in the url bar, so you can't change the score...is something like that possible?

Or maybe instead of letting the user save their own score, that after they submit, it immediately gets saved? I'm sure you've thought of these options, but it does bother me that they can change the scores. I think one of my members has already figured it out and has fudged her scores.

No, the score isn't in the URL bar. The score is sent with the POST method, and that can never change Wink

It is immediately saved: when they click on submit, the game redirects them to "index.php?act=Arcade&do=newscore" with the correct information, and there, I read that information.

I said it already: I can make only a session with gid and name, I get the name of the game, and load the gid in combination with that name. If I can't load it, there is an error, and to protect GET to add score without going away of my board: I control if it's a POST variable.
Quote:No, the score isn't in the URL bar.
How can you say that? I can see it in the url bar before I click save. Do I need to attach a screen shot? I thought that was what everyone was saying when they said it was so easy to cheat. It's very easy to change that score before hitting submit.

Quote:It is immediately saved: when they click on submit,
How can you say "immediately" when you have to click submit first?

I'm not trying to slam your plugin. I think it's GREAT! Wonderful! Fun! But this ease of cheating just seems so wrong...and I'm not the only one to think so. How can it ever truly be combined with a points system, if everyone can change their scores to get more points?

If you're waiting to fix the plugin until 1.4 comes out...fine! I was just hoping to figure some temp fix before then.
judel Wrote:How can you say that? I can see it in the url bar before I click save. Do I need to attach a screen shot? I thought that was what everyone was saying when they said it was so easy to cheat. It's very easy to change that score before hitting submit.
Normally, you don't see the score in the URL bar. But you can add it in the URL bar, that's true Wink

judel Wrote:How can you say "immediately" when you have to click submit first?
That true, but then you must to use an other game type, v3 adds it mostly immediately, but that doesn't change something. You can always add a score Wink

judel Wrote:I'm not trying to slam your plugin. I think it's GREAT! Wonderful! Fun! But this ease of cheating just seems so wrong...and I'm not the only one to think so. How can it ever truly be combined with a points system, if everyone can change their scores to get more points?
I know Wink

judel Wrote:If you're waiting to fix the plugin until 1.4 comes out...fine! I was just hoping to figure some temp fix before then.

I don't go wait to 1.4 or 1.2 Wink

Wednesday, maybe Wink I go release it as 1.1.6, with this bugfix and the changes of server, ...
A fix is ready, now I upload it to test it, and Wednesday, I release 1.1.6 Wink

Or sooner ...
Hey, that's great! I can't wait to try it out! Big Grin I'm sure everyone will look forward to it as well!
New version
There is a new version of the Game Section, Game Section 1.1.6.

More information:
http://community.gamesection.org/showthread.php?tid=315
I'm wondering about an error I get when I try to upload a game with the "simple" method.

One of the follow directories has no chmod 777:
games
arcade/gamedata
games/images
admin/games

I have checked, and all of them are 777...except for admin/games, since there isn't any such folder? Is there a way around this?
No, there must be a admin/games folder and normally, its delivered with the Game Section Wink
Well, then I'm confused. I just downloaded the whole plugin again to verify, but there is no admin/games folder. There IS a games.php that goes into the main admin folder, but not an actual folder named games inside the admin folder. Are there any files that are supposed to go into this admin/games folder? Also, what if we've changed the name of our admin folder to something else? Do we need to change that in the files?

Has anyone else been able to get the Simple game add to work?